Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HALFORDS Bargains [No Code requests!]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

cletus wrote: »
    Charging €60 would be turning a few bob on it, he's just gouging people for money at €150. Its pretty obvious that he only bought it to sell on, and yes, its a free market, but I'm also free to point out that he paid substantially less than he's trying to charge

Well he's not really, they're back on halfords page at 300, how is selling one for half that gouging?

You sure are, but I dunno, to me it just looks unnecessary and spiteful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭cletus

Its gouging because he's not a supplier who is buying from a wholesaler, who has markup as part of a business, and he's not being up front and saying he bought it cheap, has no use for it and is selling it on, he made use of an offer for the sole purpose of trying to flog it on, when somebody could have made genuine use of that offer

Its akin it touting imo

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

I hate this sort of thing, stops people who would use it getting it at a good price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

If someone saves 150 off the halfords price by buying his I fail to see how they are being conned,not everyone got the obviously mispriced 30 euro set ,the lad in halfords wanted to buy mine off me when I collected.

Let him off,any more bargains?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

Its about being descent, but lets move on from Socket Gate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

You have to bear in mind that the 300 is the jacked up Halfords double price so that they can con us into thinking we're buying it at "half price" later on. You need to be buying these at this so called half price with an additional 15% off to be getting a bargain Nobody would buy one if these at 300 - you'd get a Teng set with a proper ratchet at that price

Trying to pretend you paid 300 in Halfords is playing to the same foolish audience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭Esel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Esel wrote: »
    Ad still up...
    Says withdrawn though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,910 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Well that depends on what you think is adequate. . I have broken a few big sockets and bent a bar or two. I cant see a silver line set fair to well.

Well most people won't do that. I have used the Silverline one, borrowed from a friend & I had no problems. Plus most people will only use big sockets occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Cocoon wrote: »

Its the same guy with a second account (seeing as he burnt his first account).
    I'm a bit shocked that someone bit- and feel sorry for the prospective purchaser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

He had ample warning if he read the comments, he must really need to change the wheel on his Concorde, or something :eek:

Got mine this evening. It's got a 19mm anyway. i've plenty use for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Can we please stop talking about fecking sockets..start a thread if you must ... but lets move on >>>PLEASE :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Can we please stop talking about fecking sockets..start a thread if you must ... but lets move on >>>PLEASE :)

May all your wishes come true....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,058 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

ice.cube wrote: »

About all it's worth really. Got one as part of a kit 2 yrs ago. Lasted about 16mths with moderate unabusive use. Need to get a replacement but will go elsewhere.

I'm going to use the 3/4" breaker bar to lift the car until a replacement is sourced. And the 46 & 50mm sockets as axle stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

ice.cube wrote: »

Not a halfords branded one, but,

I had a generic 2t jack identical to that one fail on me recently mid-lift, total valve failure - it just dropped like a hot snot, it was only lifting one corner of a 1000kg car so not overloaded by any stretch.

I don't trust them at all since(never really did before either tbh), I'd be more inclined to use a scissor or bottle jack, or better yet a larger trolley jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SneakyDoyle

Seems like good value, has anyone any experience with this or similar sets? are they on sale regularly enough? 400 quid seems outrageous for full price

http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-200-piece-socket-set-limited-edition-black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I have the older version of that for 9 or 10 years. Haven't broken anything yet. There was a better variety of stuff in the old version, but that's still a good set. The black is stupid for sockets though, you'll just lose them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Seems like good value, has anyone any experience with this or similar sets? are they on sale regularly enough? 400 quid seems outrageous for full price

http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-200-piece-socket-set-limited-edition-black

Was €148 previously :cool: - I have the old version- top set and fits prefectly in the tool chest if you knock the pins out of the case
    Had the 170 piece reserved but went for the 200 instead earlier on reflection

Fantastic bit of kit, I've been using a €50 LIDL set last 3 years and its served me well to be fair

If you have the Halfords professional tool chest like me :P , you can knock out the pins (can be refitted if you wish [ no damage] ) on the back of the case and they fit the drawers perfectly.

kmNd9Dc.jpg

Fge1K9a.jpg

qg5ZWUy.jpg

jXzK7R2.jpg

jjFcI2R.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SneakyDoyle

Looks sweet, but I agree the black is daft, think i'll hold out for a nice set in the chrome finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Was €148 previously :cool: - I have the old version- top set and fits prefectly in the tool chest if you knock the pins out of the case

I didn't know they fitted directly into the Halfords tool chest, which chest are you using? and would there be room for an additional 3/4 socket set in there also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Cocoon wrote: »
    I didn't know they fitted directly into the Halfords tool chest, which chest are you using? and would there be room for an additional 3/4 socket set in there also?

The professional one - might be room in the deeper drawers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

3/4 socket set doesnt fit in the Industrial Halfords tool chests. I tried. Not only does it not have pins to separate top and bottom, but the 50mm socket is too tall in its case. I was going to angle grind the case apart but no point unless you want to waste the super deep drawer at the bottom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I have the older version of that for 9 or 10 years. Haven't broken anything yet. There was a better variety of stuff in the old version, but that's still a good set. The black is stupid for sockets though, you'll just lose them.

The hoover would pick them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Yeah I have the Halfords Industrial top box and roller cabinet and the drawers are just too shallow to fit the 200 piece case into them :(

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,556 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Anybody know Halfords return policy on oil? I bought a load of the 10w-40 at the discount, but I need 5w-30? Can I just swap them over with them? No receipt! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

antodeco wrote: »
    Anybody know Halfords return policy on oil? I bought a load of the 10w-40 at the discount, but I need 5w-30? Can I just swap them over with them? No receipt! Thanks

Assuming the 5w-30 is back at the standard price they'll probably give you a refund at the discount price.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,556 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thing is, they won't k own what price I paid for it. Were the 2 oils the same price?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd reckon they won't offer an exchange or refund without a receipt.
    Did they email you one?

Advertisement