Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gallup 360 - lawn sprayed

Options
  • 13-08-2015 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi. So I went to a shop and asked for something to spray in lawn to kill off few things coming up in the grass. Given Gallup 360. So put in knapsack. 10l water and 160ml Gallup, sprayed the lawn last week-now it's starting to kill everything, GRASS INCLUDED!!
    Have I just wrecked my garden by spraying this on the grass or did I put to much in.
    Thanks in advance from a not so green fingered gardener.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just did a quick google - gallup 360 is glyphosate based, so it's a non-selective herbicide; it's designed to kill everything, including grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭jsd1004

gizmo73 wrote: »
    Hi. So I went to a shop and asked for something to spray in lawn to kill off few things coming up in the grass. Given Gallup 360. So put in knapsack. 10l water and 160ml Gallup, sprayed the lawn last week-now it's starting to kill everything, GRASS INCLUDED!!
    Have I just wrecked my garden by spraying this on the grass or did I put to much in.
    Thanks in advance from a not so green fingered gardener.

So whats the problem? You buy a poison, it kills everything and you are surprised..

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭gizmo73

just did a quick google - gallup 360 is glyphosate based, so it's a non-selective herbicide; it's designed to kill everything, including grass?

Brilliant. What's the moral of the story so- don't trust what they sell you in a shop.

jsd1004 wrote: »
    So whats the problem? You buy a poison, it kills everything and you are surprised..
    In case it wasn't obvious from the post- I was lookin for something to spray in the lawn to kill the weeds-not kill the lawn itself. If I knew the Gallup was going to do that obviously I wouldn't have bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 AprilPhilips

In case it wasn't obvious from the post- I was lookin for something to spray in the lawn to kill the weeds-not kill the lawn itself. If I knew the Gallup was going to do that obviously I wouldn't have bought it.
    it will kill everything in its path and is systemic. google systemic

• Advertisement

Thanks for the English lesson. Shame on me for trusting the sales guy in the shop and not rushing onto Google to check it out first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Were you sold the product in the same place where you were advised to use Gallup 360?
    If 'Yes', return and complain to the manager. Make sure you remember which employee gave you the advice.
    That was a potentially-dangerous thing for an uninformed or nonchalant employee to do.
    From November of this year, everyone who is selling chemicals will have to have undergone training about their correct use, storage and safety. The store obviously hasn't yet complied with this Directive, so you have plenty of ammunition but I can't guarantee you on your Rights (caveat emptor rings in my mind but don't let that put you off)
    Emphasise the cost of having to get a new lawn sown but I'd nearly bet money the company will reimburse you in some degree due to the uninformed advice on their behalf.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

systemic means it kills the plant from top to bottom, not that it's non-selective.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Thanks for the English lesson. Shame on me for trusting the sales guy in the shop and not rushing onto Google to check it out first.
    The fact it killed your lawn has nothing to to do with it been systemic (so disregard that advice), the problem is it's a broad spectrum weedkiller as opposed to a selective weedkiller.
    A selective weedkiller kills either dicotyledons or monocotyledons, in your case you want one that kills dicotyledons as all grasses are monocotyledons.
    So yes essentially you should have checked before hand, but you already know that now.

The fact it killed your lawn has nothing to to do with it been systemic (so disregard that advice), the problem is it's a broad spectrum weedkiller as opposed to a selective weedkiller.
    A selective weedkiller kills either dicotyledons or monocotyledons, in your case you want one that kills dicotyledons as all grasses are monocotyledons.
    So yes essentially you should have checked before hand, but you already know that now.

Indeed I do. Thanks for mature reply as opposed to previous smart ass ones.

• Advertisement

it was not meant as smart remark

systemic means it kills the plant from top to bottom, not that it's non-selective.
    i never said it meant that. was it on the top of the grass it was applied? where does it go from there? And systemic does not mean top to bottom it means it is taken in by foilage and goes through to the roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

You'll be grand
    Wait for few wet days.
    Rake the lawn.
    re-seed it with grass seed.
    Keep it watered.
    A new lawn will grow, complete with all the weeds you had before.
    Next time buy a broad leaf herbicide.
    You need to know what you are spraying. Your responsibility. Bit rich to go blaming the lad in the garden centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭mikedoherty99

Isn't there a new law coming in that says you have to do a spraying course too

Jaysus everyone will be an expert on weedkiller soon

deandean wrote: »
    You'll be grand
    Wait for few wet days.
    Rake the lawn.
    re-seed it with grass seed.
    Keep it watered.
    A new lawn will grow, complete with all the weeds you had before.
    Next time buy a broad leaf herbicide.
    You need to know what you are spraying. Your responsibility. Bit rich to go blaming the lad in the garden centre.

Uh...no!
    He/she was wrongly advised by someone who sells these chemicals for a living. I'll write that again: they sell potentially deadly chemicals.
    Ask any of the landscapers here who (gratuitously) give advice, how much it would cost to remove the dead material, prepare the seedbed and sow a lawn.

If you were told you were buying a diesel car and only found out after the first fill that it was a petrol engine, would you take the "your responsibility...don't blame the lad who sold it to you" line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Were you sold the product in the same place where you were advised to use Gallup 360?
    If 'Yes', return and complain to the manager. Make sure you remember which employee gave you the advice.
    That was a potentially-dangerous thing for an uninformed or nonchalant employee to do.
    From November of this year, everyone who is selling chemicals will have to have undergone training about their correct use, storage and safety. The store obviously hasn't yet complied with this Directive, so you have plenty of ammunition but I can't guarantee you on your Rights (caveat emptor rings in my mind but don't let that put you off)
    Emphasise the cost of having to get a new lawn sown but I'd nearly bet money the company will reimburse you in some degree due to the uninformed advice on their behalf.

While the shop sold the wrong product, at the same time the OP should have read the info booklet or even just the back of the container before using it.

(OP, You did look at the label for the application rates right?).

I would never dream of using a pesticide that I am unfamiliar with without reading the info book first (I have my PA1, PA2 & PA6).

Its incidents like this that show that the new directive is long overdue for both sellers and users.

http://www.barclay.ie/wp-content/uploads/Gallup-360-Ire-label-for-web.pdf

it was not meant as smart remark
    cool, but it did come across that way, as systemic is not relevant to whether it kills grass or not.

dubscottie wrote: »
    While the shop sold the wrong product, at the same time the OP should have read the info booklet or even just the back of the container before using it.
    it's very easy to claim this, but someone who is not au fait with gardening terminology should be able to trust the advice of an employee in a garden centre, especially as (i suspect) the packaging did not contain a 'DO NOT USE ON A LAWN IF YOU LIKE GRASS' warning.
    the booklet or container label probably used terms such as broadleaf or systemic herbicide which is probably not aimed at a casual user; if i buy a telly from DID and ask 'will this allow me to watch coronation street', they should be able to tell me without me having to consult a user manual.

(OP, You did look at the label for the application rates right?).

I would never dream of using a pesticide that I am unfamiliar with without reading the info book first (I have my PA1, PA2 & PA6).

Its incidents like this that show that the new directive is long overdue for both sellers and users.

http://www.barclay.ie/wp-content/uploads/Gallup-360-Ire-label-for-web.pdf

I'm not absolving the OP of responsibility but I think the onus is on the seller, who incorrectly advised the customer and sold the wrong product. The OP acted in good faith and the negligence is on behalf of the seller.

The SUD is technically a good thing but the manner in which it's being executed is shambolic. I've seen people spraying while wearing shorts and t-shirt but I don't think the reason this directive is being introduced is to benefit the environment or for safety reasons. I've contacted the Dept. of Marine, etc; Teagasc and Coillte for info on the SUD and all give different advice. Plus, a 2 day course for something that could be taught in 4 hours smacks of a money-making scam.

it's very easy to claim this, but someone who is not au fait with gardening terminology should be able to trust the advice of an employee in a garden centre, especially as (i suspect) the packaging did not contain a 'DO NOT USE ON A LAWN IF YOU LIKE GRASS' warning.
    the booklet or container label probably used terms such as broadleaf or systemic herbicide which is probably not aimed at a casual user; if i buy a telly from DID and ask 'will this allow me to watch coronation street', they should be able to tell me without me having to consult a user manual.

This is why someone who is not au fait with gardening terminology should only be sold premixed stuff in clearly labeled containers. The concentrate can be lethal.

I can look straight at the active ingredient not the "kills this" stuff.

If they had been given Paraquat and killed themselves who would be at fault?

The OP should have read the book. In the UK it would get the OP and the person selling the stuff a £25,000 fine or 6 months inside (or did don't know if it changed since)

• Advertisement

This is why someone who is not au fait with gardening terminology should only be sold premixed stuff in clearly labeled containers.
    so we're agreed. the responsibility lies with the seller.

I'm not absolving the OP of responsibility but I think the onus is on the seller, who incorrectly advised the customer and sold the wrong product. The OP acted in good faith and the negligence is on behalf of the seller.

The SUD is technically a good thing but the manner in which it's being executed is shambolic. I've seen people spraying while wearing shorts and t-shirt but I don't think the reason this directive is being introduced is to benefit the environment or for safety reasons. I've contacted the Dept. of Marine, etc; Teagasc and Coillte for info on the SUD and all give different advice. Plus, a 2 day course for something that could be taught in 4 hours smacks of a money-making scam.

4 hours? When I did my PA1 back in 1996 it worked out at 14 hrs training and thats just for the legal bits. The PA2 & 6 took longer. The test took about an hour for each part.

And during the PA1, if you let the concentrate (or blue liquid) "glug" as you were poring it into the measuring jug you would fail. Thats how strict it was.

so we're agreed. the responsibility lies with the seller.

The buyer has a responsibility to read the label. Both at fault.

This is why someone who is not au fait with gardening terminology should only be sold premixed stuff in clearly labeled containers. The concentrate can be lethal.

I can look straight at the active ingredient not the "kills this" stuff.

If they had been given Paraquat and killed themselves who would be at fault?

The OP should have read the book. In the UK it would get the OP and the person selling the stuff a £25,000 fine or 6 months inside (or did don't know if it changed since)

Even at a diluted rate the damage can be devastating: the chemicals don't distinguish. If it can attack on a cellular level, the chemical doesn't think about whether it's animal or plant cells it's affecting.
    I agree - people should inform themselves as much as they can. That doesn't change they way people are going to act though. In this case, someone bears the burden of responsibility and my belief is that it lies primarily with the seller who incorrectly advised and recommended a product. They are legitimate and licensed sellers of the product.
    I'm not trying to start a thing with you - I always recommend adequate ppe and dosage rates for any spraying Q's in this forum but the sellers duty cannot be overlooked.

4 hours? When I did my PA1 back in 1996 it worked out at 14 hrs training and thats just for the legal bits. The PA2 & 6 took longer. The test took about an hour for each part.

And during the PA1, if you let the concentrate (or blue liquid) "glug" as you were poring it into the measuring jug you would fail. Thats how strict it was.

I did mine* in 2006 and we did the practical in about 2 hours but in fairness, the man who was teaching us knew his stuff and there was no waffle; no filler material. Straight to business...you don't pay attention and you miss something important.

The theory was maybe 2 hrs (feels like longer in a lecture hall) but again, the man delivering the lecture knew the parts to focus on and which parts were impractical.

* the equivalent

I did mine* in 2006 and we did the practical in about 2 hours but in fairness, the man who was teaching us knew his stuff and there was no waffle; no filler material. Straight to business...you don't pay attention and you miss something important.

The theory was maybe 2 hrs (feels like longer in a lecture hall) but again, the man delivering the lecture knew the parts to focus on and which parts were impractical.

* the equivalent

I was lucky doing the PA2 as I was an apprentice on a golf course at the time. 6 nozzles. Knew a guy that did it private and got his test on a farm yoke with 50+ nozzles!

I dont know if he is still alive but Douglas Shearer was my trainer. Had a stutter so went PPPPP Ah you know what I mean! (PPE)

http://www.dshearer.co.uk/addskills.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

You have rights under the Sale of Goods Act, I can't remember the exact words, but basically you did not select the item yourself, but asked the seller to provide a product for a purpose you specified, i.e. you asked for a weedkiller to kill some weeds in a lawn. The seller is at fault in law for not supplying the correct product. Get a quote from a landscaper for the cost of sowing a new lawn. This will soften the shopkeeper's cough. If still no remedy, solicitor or home insurance, Small Claims Court etc.

Advertisement