Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working In Mahon, Where To Live

Options
  • 13-08-2015 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey guys

I've been offered a job out in Mahon and will be moving to Cork at the end of the month to start. Looking for some advise as to where to live.

I don't drive so I'll be relying on bus/bike. What areas are well served to Mahon by bus? Ideally I'd not like to spend more than 30-45min commuting. What is the traffic like heading out that direction on work days?

I run a bit in my spear time so somewhere within 2-3miles of the mardyke and close to a commuting line to work would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

215 bus will take you to Johnson & Perrott Mahon, about a 2 minute walk from Mahon Point Shopping Centre. It is right across the road from the centre. You can take the 215 bus from the bus station in the city centre. Not a long journey, about 20-25 mins from town to Mahon via that bus. Traffic can be heavy during rush hours.

Hope someone can help you with accommodation suggestions.

Good luck with the new job!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bradt Pitt

Techmaster wrote: »
    ...Hope someone can help you with accommodation suggestions.

I don't know your budget but if you want the ultimate in convenience (proximity to Mahon) you could look at Jacob's Island.

We live in an apartment there. €950 a month, which is a lot - but there are plenty houses also, so I'm sure you could share?
    Fantastic, location-wise. You can easily walk to work and there is also a bus service to get in and out of town, etc.

Hope that was of some help. Best of luck with the new job!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Anywhere on the 202 bus route will be grand, walking Skehard road is ok, cycling as far as Ballinlough or Douglas even if your work has a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

Jacobs Island would be very handy for Mahon Point, particularly if you're not driving. But you say you are willing to cycle/walk so Blackrock and Ballintemple are also options for you. Personally I'd go for Blackrock/Ballintemple. You can walk to Mahon Point from Eden also. There is an Aldi on the edge of the Eden estate which is very handy and it's only 5 minutes walk to the pubs in Blackrock village area.

You say you like to go running, well there is a line that starts at Blackrock Castle and loops around in various directions that you can go running/cycling on. It's only a couple of minutes from Jacobs Island but you can also get to parts of it from lots of Blackrock, e.g. it runs all the way down to Pairc Ui Chaoimh or of course you can go running on the Marina ( which they are supposed to be pedestrianising in a couple of Years ( according to the plans ).

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

TheChizler wrote: »
    Anywhere on the 202 bus route will be grand, walking Skehard road is ok, cycling as far as Ballinlough or Douglas even if your work has a shower.

Pretty much anywhere in town is an easy, flat cycle ride along the old railway path and away from traffic. No real need for a shower afterwards, it's not that strenuous at all!

• Advertisement

Diziet wrote: »
    Pretty much anywhere in town is an easy, flat cycle ride along the old railway path and away from traffic. No real need for a shower afterwards, it's not that strenuous at all!
    Depends how fit you are/late you like to leave for work. I cycled from Ballintemple for a few months and always left with minutes to spare and some days I couldn't wait to get home for a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Ballinlough, Blackrock, Ballintemple are all nice areas within a short cycle, Rochestown is close too via the old railway walk but would be a bit of a trek from the Mardyke. Running the railway is fantastic if you tire of doing laps of the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Diziet wrote: »

I hope you don't cycle to work and sit beside people ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I hope you don't cycle to work and sit beside people ;)

That comment is both unpleasant and unnecessary. I do both and it really is not a problem for a half hour flat cycle ride. If you want to reduce the time to 10 minutes then fine, but even cycling at an easy pace tends to be quicker than car or bus in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lambeau_leap

Thanks for the reply's guys. Will have a look in the areas suggested and also along the 202 bus route. If I was to look at cheaper options out near Wilton, does anyone know how reliable to 219 bus service would be?

• Advertisement

Reliable but a very long route.

Advertisement