Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long to inform insurer of car accident?

• 13-08-2015 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

I had a wee bump in the car this evening (my fault), damage to both cars but is mainly scrapes and scratches (as opposed to putting either car off the road). I'm not too bothered about getting my own car fixed but obviously the other driver is. I initially said I'd handle it without my insurance but I'm not sure how much the other driver's claim is likely to be. I've a fully protected NCB and am not worried about the impact on my premium.

How long do I have to tell my insurer I was in an accident? My policy says 'as soon as possible' ? I hear a lot that people hope to settle privately and then change their minds and go through insurance. How long do you have to do that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Notify them of the accident immediately, even for 'record purposes'. Unless you are dealing with small money and a decent sort of 3rd party, I'd always let insurers handle it

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Emsloe

Thanks - I really couldn't speculate regarding how much it might cost at all. The third party is not one of the more decent ones regrettably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

As soon as you are aware of an incident that may give rise to a claim you must notify them no matter how minor you think the incident is.

Insurers can and will reserve their rights and if they do you are on your own.

The company I work for mark all incidents that have been notified more than a week late and will reserve their right if the Insured doesn't co-operate quickly and fully thereafter.

Emsloe wrote: »
    Thanks - I really couldn't speculate regarding how much it might cost at all. The third party is not one of the more decent ones regrettably.

I would recommend you tell them anyway, you can notify it and tell them you are going to settle it privately and it won't affect your bonus/ bonus protection.

I was reviewing two files this week and saw two claims that typify the way the World, has sadly gone.

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

You shouldn't cite examples that are so specific as to possibly be identified by the parties concerned or your employers. I'd edit those if I was you

• Advertisement

You shouldn't cite examples that are so specific as to possibly be identified by the parties concerned or your employers. I'd edit those if I was you

Thanks, at the time I thought I had not said too much but upon reflection....

Advertisement