Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice of termination after 5 months - notice period?

Options
  • 13-08-2015 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

My tenant has a fixed lease of six months but has gone from paying the rent monthly to only paying it weekly and then a lesser amount - I want to sell the house anyway - what is the notice period for a tenant who has only been there five months on a fixed lease of 6 months - can't seem to fathom PRTB guidelines.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Your tenant only acquires part 4 rights after 6 months so I wouldn't hang around too long before you act.

From what I can see you have 2 directions.

1) proceed on the basis that the tenant has failed to comply with the obligations of the tenancy (having first been notified, in writing, of the failure, and given an opportunity to remedy it).

2) give your tenant notice that you will not be renewing the lease after the 6 months. I can't find anything for statutory notice periods for such short-term tenancies, take legal advice and/or phone the PRTB 0818 30 30 37.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Graham wrote: »
    Your tenant only acquires part 4 rights after 6 months so I wouldn't hang around too long before you act.

From what I can see you have 2 directions.

1) proceed on the basis that the tenant has failed to comply with the obligations of the tenancy (having first been notified, in writing, of the failure, and given an opportunity to remedy it).

2) give your tenant notice that you will not be renewing the lease after the 6 months. I can't find anything for statutory notice periods for such short-term tenancies, take legal advice and/or phone the PRTB 0818 30 30 37.

28 days notice. Issue it now. Deduct any arrears from the deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Its 28 days notice, but the day its issued on doesn't count for the 28 days. If you make that mistake, the notice is invalid. If someone is trouble now, evict them now. I have yet to see a tenant redeem themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Its 28 days notice, but the day its issued on doesn't count for the 28 days. If you make that mistake, the notice is invalid. If someone is trouble now, evict them now. I have yet to see a tenant redeem themselves.

So True. ..

Advertisement