Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Machine

Options
  • 13-08-2015 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some info. We are a family of six, we rent a house, washing machine broke 8 days ago, landlord says it needs a part and engineer won't be back out for another 7 days with ball bearing that's required. I don't think this is good enough, where do we stand with regards rights, can I get it fixed tomorrow and deduct from rent, or by a machine and deduct from rent, or deduct cost of launderette from rent.?
    3 small kids and no washing machine for 2 weeks is not fair. I wonder what prtb might say, has anyone any experience?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

No you can't deduct from rent, if the part is on order genuinely then I'd don't know what you expect the landlord to do? If you have a quicker means to resolve the problem by all means contact the landlord and offer they follow this route, but if the part is on order, ie the right part and not some cheaper version that's available now, are you saying there is no means for you to carry out washing clothes? May e enquire and agree onatime to resolve the problem by?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭The_fever

cerastes wrote: »
    No you can't deduct from rent, if the part is on order genuinely then I'd don't know what you expect the landlord to do? If you have a quicker means to resolve the problem by all means contact the landlord and offer they follow this route, but if the part is on order, ie the right part and not some cheaper version that's available now, are you saying there is no means for you to carry out washing clothes? May e enquire and agree onatime to resolve the problem by?

Hi thanks for your reply, yes as it stands there is no way of washing clothes, nearest launderette is 15 miles away, this is the countryside. I just think it is too long await, and feel we should be compensated accordingly. He could get a new machine from power city or the like supplied and fitted in an afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The_fever wrote: »
    Hi thanks for your reply, yes as it stands there is no way of washing clothes, nearest launderette is 15 miles away, this is the countryside. I just think it is too long await, and feel we should be compensated accordingly. He could get a new machine from power city or the like supplied and fitted in an afternoon.
    How old is the machine? any older than 4-5 years and it is most likely beyond economic repair, it is possible the LL is just stalling and is hoping that ye buy your own machine.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    How old is the machine? any older than 4-5 years and it is most likely beyond economic repair, it is possible the LL is just stalling and is hoping that ye buy your own machine.

Hi, in fairness the last time machine broke he bought a brand new one that same afternoon and fitted it. That was six months ago, and this is the machine now that's faulty. We use it once or twice a day, but that's life with kids..

This machine should be under warranty anyway. I'm at a loss as to how a new machine can fail so soon, or why you expect another new replacement?? Perhaps the delay is that it's a warranty job?
    How long were you there before the new machine arrived and why was the previous machine replaced and what age was it?

• Advertisement

This machine should be under warranty anyway. I'm at a loss as to how a new machine can fail so soon, or why you expect another new replacement?? Perhaps the delay is that it's a warranty job?
    How long were you there before the new machine arrived and why was the previous machine replaced and what age was it?

We were there two months when the old machine broke. I really just want to be able to my kids clothes, I don't care too much about the intrinsics.. Surely there are some tenant rights

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Most likely because it was a cheap Argos or Harvey Norman brand and completely unsuitable for a family of 6.
    The OP would need a machine with an 8 or 9 kgs drum load for the amount and frequency of washes.
    Very unfair of the LL to treat him/her like this. Plenty of guys out there would have this repaired in a few hours. Unless its a very unusual make and model the repair guy would have the correct spare in his van.

Out of interest OP, send us the make and model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

We were there two months when the old machine broke. I really just want to be able to my kids clothes, I don't care too much about the intrinsics.. Surely there are some tenant rights

There are but he's fixing it, a machine so new would mean a warrantee repair and they take time, you have to wait for an official service engineer. The landlord has no control over that.

Hand washing will remove most of the issues with clothes, alternatively you may be able to ask neighbours or friends or family to help out

Thanks guys. The make is Candy 7kg A plus GC4 1271D1 and it needs a new ball bearing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

From Power City web page...
    CANDY 1200 7KG WASHER
    Model : GC4127
    Warranty : 1 Year Labour 5 Years Parts 

As the Landlord has a 1 year Labour and 5 years parts warranty, I think he is only right to persue the repairs through the warranty that he paid for.
    Unfortunately he is at the mercy of the people who are providing the service, but at least he is dealing with it.

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »
    Most likely because it was a cheap Argos or Harvey Norman brand and completely unsuitable for a family of 6.
    The OP would need a machine with an 8 or 9 kgs drum load for the amount and frequency of washes.
    Very unfair of the LL to treat him/her like this. Plenty of guys out there would have this repaired in a few hours. Unless its a very unusual make and model the repair guy would have the correct spare in his van.

Out of interest OP, send us the make and model.

Speculative, besides a new machine should still last a reasonable amount of time, either there was a faulty part or it has been misused.
    Overloading the capacity or setting the spin too high on a normally loaded machine isn't good in my opinion, worse on an overloaded machine. A tenant has a responsibility to operate and keep items in the manner they are designed for, overloading a standard machine with a lower capacty isnt a suitable excuse to damage anything by misuse.

The intrinsics? I think you mean something else, maybe details of how to resolve it, neglecting the fine details or not reading the manual can lead to problems, I recommend you read them and ensure to operate the machine as its designed for, as this is a practically a brand new machine id say you wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on to complain, warranty usually covers manufacturing or parts faults, if a dedicated warranty repair isolates the fault as not being from that source to reduce or negate any cost implication for them, then I'd be happy if you don't receive a bill.
    Also why idbe looking for a warranty repair as an official determination of the cause, bearings may fail? Never heard of it myself, but what might cause that if its not the above things I mentioned could be overloading.

I'd be keeping a contact with the landlord, if they have the repair or warranty work ordered documented, then all they can do is wait, I can see how it cant be easy, do you have a car where you could bring items to a launderette.

From my own perspective, if I had to order a repair ona new machine I'd be treating it with suspicion, hoping it wasn't from negligent use, as warranty may not cover the full cost getting it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Seems the landlord is on the case.

In the meantime what did we do before washing machines? or electricity?

My mother used to run the bath, soak clothes in it and ask us (7 kids) to "wash your feet by squegging the clothes - double result - clean feet and agitated clothes.

BTW are washboards still available?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

..setting the spin too high on a normally loaded machine isn't good in my opinion, worse on an overloaded machine.

Also speculative..!

OP - I don't know if there is much you can do - if it was your house and your machine you may also be in the same situ - i.e. waiting on a random repair company to complete the warranty. If you get on with the LL maybe get the repair co number and chase them yourself? You have been stuck with this for a while now.. the repair co should be doing better here!

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

In fairness to your LL he replaced a faulty machine with a new one only six months ago. Now this one is giving trouble too. He is getting this repaired through the warranty which he is entitled to do & which any normal person would do. If I were the landlord I'd be asking questions about why two machines have broken down in six months.

I had my 3 month old hob explode 5 days ago & I've had to deal with the store, their customer assist programme, the manufacturer's engineer & I am still waiting to find out when I will get my new hob delivered. These things don't happen overnight.

Everyone is very quick to call out "bad" landlords all the time. There are plenty of them, but also plenty of decent ones too. Why would the PRTB even be mentioned at this stage?

Talk to your landlord, ask for reassurance that it will be fixed ASAP, & ask if he would pay for a couple of laundrette washes. Or just do some hand-washing, or ask a friend can you do a couple of washes. Do what anyone who has bought a washing machine that is faulty, does in similar circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

April 73 wrote: »
    In fairness to your LL he replaced a faulty machine with a new one only six months ago. Now this one is giving trouble too. He is getting this repaired through the warranty which he is entitled to do & which any normal person would do. If I were the landlord I'd be asking questions about why two machines have broken down in six months.

I had my 3 month old hob explode 5 days ago & I've had to deal with the store, their customer assist programme, the manufacturer's engineer & I am still waiting to find out when I will get my new hob delivered. These things don't happen overnight.

Everyone is very quick to call out "bad" landlords all the time. There are plenty of them, but also plenty of decent ones too. Why would the PRTB even be mentioned at this stage?

Talk to your landlord, ask for reassurance that it will be fixed ASAP, & ask if he would pay for a couple of laundrette washes. Or just do some hand-washing, or ask a friend can you do a couple of washes. Do what anyone who has bought a washing machine that is faulty, does in similar circumstances.

Hear hear!

A bit of common sense at last.....including the contents of my post #13 of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

The_fever wrote:
    Thanks guys. The make is Candy 7kg A plus GC4 1271D1 and it needs a new ball bearing

Off topic but I had this same machine and had so many problems with it. Broke down and needed parts 3 times in the year then after that they wanted 100 just to look at it. Figured best to cut my loses.

Point being: May not be tenants fault

km991148 wrote: »
    Also speculative..!

OP - I don't know if there is much you can do - if it was your house and your machine you may also be in the same situ - i.e. waiting on a random repair company to complete the warranty. If you get on with the LL maybe get the repair co number and chase them yourself? You have been stuck with this for a while now.. the repair co should be doing better here!

Speculative? nope, its fact, if you look at washing machine manuals, they have the information I was referring to in them. Out of curiosity I looked at mine, it was mentioned first under a section called "Basic Instructions", mine referred to overloading/loading and weights and speeds about 4 times, so its not speculative.
    I would say manufacturers put these instructions in so the machine can be operated correctly, but if it isnt then that covers them if its still under warranty and turns out it has been due to not following the instructions supplied.

I dont think the tenant will be able to contact the warranty service provider as that service provider has no contract with the tenant, but instead only with the person that bought the appliance.

The other poster purely guessed that the landlord bought a cheap machine, or bought in a place that only sells cheap machines, an outright speculation and slight that the landlord has been the cause of the problem and a bit of a slight against both of the retailers. Given the option how much would a tenant that had to supply their own washing machine spend?

There really is no incentive to provide a more expensive machine anyway when it cannot really be claimed back against if you are already doing so and on top of that when people arent concerned about the basics (intrinsics? sic), there is just more to lose.
    Any machine should last a reasonable time, and if its loaded and operated according to the instructions, maybe 2 washes instead of 1 then it will last longer, but the landlord is under no obligation to provide expensive equipment which will still suffer the same treatment.

Its an excellent reason why we should use the European model of renting, where the tenant provides all/most of their own appliances, furniture, etc, no problem hassle for the landlord and no complaints that the items are substandard and complete responsibility the same as any other owner for the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Tenant was there two months when old machine broke. 4 months later brand new machine has broken ... I agree re using European model where tenant supplies own appliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Tenant was there two months when old machine broke. 4 months later brand new machine has broken ... I agree re using European model where tenant supplies own appliance.

Whilst I don't disagree that the European model makes sense I have one point to make about your post. Yes the machine broke (original) after then tenant ha only been there two months. HOWEVER, we do not know how long that machine had been in situ - and therefore how old it was - prior to the tenant moving in. We also don't know how the previous tenants used the machine, their washing habits re overloading etc. So we cannot make any assumptions on that basis. The new machine however.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement