Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

<snip> - Request to change from Standing Order to Direct Debit

• 13-08-2015 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

I had a call this evening from someone from <snip> asking me to change my standing order to a direct debit as it's more cost effective to them and she asked for my bank details to set it up. I didn't have the details to hand at the time but to be honest I probably wouldn't have given them to her over the phone anyway as I had no way to be sure she was who she said she was. I'm going to ring them in the morning to be sure but has anyone else who makes a monthly payment to <snip> had a call like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I had a call this evening from someone from <snip> asking me to change my standing order to a direct debit as it's more cost effective to them and she asked for my bank details to set it up. I didn't have the details to hand at the time but to be honest I probably wouldn't have given them to her over the phone anyway as I had no way to be sure she was who she said she was. I'm going to ring them in the morning to be sure but has anyone else who makes a monthly payment to <snip> had a call like this?

A direct debit so they can take as much as they like? Theres no way I'd allow them to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

A direct debit so they can take as much as they like? Theres no way I'd allow them to do that.

It would be a direct debit for the same amount as the standing order, so what do you mean??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

maggiepip wrote: »
    It would be a direct debit for the same amount as the standing order, so what do you mean??

A direct debit can be for any amount as they are variable usually in nature eg ESB and gas. The requestor has control on the amount. So in theory they can request a million euros.

A standing order amount cannot be changed by the requestor. Only the creator can change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I rang the <snip> on Friday and the person who answered was aware of something like this going on but didn't know too much but got me to leave message for for the CEO so hopefully he'll get back to me as I'm curious to why they are doing this. She did say it was an agency doing it on their behalf and not <snip> themselves, so probably one of those chugger companies and this did disappoint me as I hate giving to charities that use chuggers. And as you say, who in the right mind would give someone the right to take as much they want?

As it turns out the caller rang me back yesterday and again I said I wasn't going to give me details over the phone. In the previous call I had said send out the direct debit mandate form to me and I'll have a look but she said to keep costs down they weren't going to do that. This time I asked her to email it to me and she said they couldn't do that either as they don't have an electronic versions of the forms. I was laughing at this stage as this was getting ridiculous and when I asked could she not scan it in and then email it to me she said "we don't have the facility to do that". What company doesn't have the facility to scan in a form, or even go online to their own bank and download one. My guess is they get paid on each one they do over the phone so it's not in their interest to process one any other way.

Anyway, I ended the call at that stage and left it at that but hopefully <snip> will ring me tomorrow and I'll let him know how (a) disappointed I am with the cold call and the use of an agency and (b) how poor the company they are using are.

Advertisement