Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tottenham v Stoke

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

tom1ie wrote: »
    I said 3 strikers at least. What happens when we're 2-0 down against Leicester (for example) and we need to put two up top but one of our strikers is out injured? Hence 3 at least. Think man. Think.

I presumed you meant we need to get 3 strikers. We already have one, N'Jie is a striker/winger, Chadli is decent up front, and we will 100% be signing another striker before the window shuts. That's more than enough to do us til January. Calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Ormus wrote: »
    I presumed you meant we need to get 3 strikers. We already have one, N'Jie is a striker/winger, Chadli is decent up front, and we will 100% be signing another striker before the window shuts. That's more than enough to do us til January. Calm down.

Wow! Do you think any of the top 4 (who I think we aspire to) would be happy with a winger playing as a makeshift striker because they have no other option once there main striker gets injured? And yes we have signed an unproven 22 year old winger he's not a striker. So we only have 1 striker. My point is proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Yes there has been a lot of outrage on here with some justified and some OTT, but on the other hand some of the constant optimism and positivity on here would drive you nuts. We are Spurs we expect more and if there was no outrage then something would seriously be wrong with our fan base. I was at the Lane yesterday and all anyone wants is a team who can actually function properly and not fall to bits in the second half, it is so bloody frustrating and we are going to vent, it is what Spurs fans do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭Morgans

Hysterical reaction as per usual here. We scored enough goals to win today, so the lack of striking options didn't lose us the game, sitting back and letting Stoke back in meant we drew instead of won.

People go on about one recognised striker but we only had one recognised striker since Soldado left yesterday. Luckily Kane played well today, we signed a forward and will definitely sign another very soon. We haven't started the season well but that's not down to lack of strikers.

There are gonna be more disappointing results this season, and every season for the rest of our lives. Is hysterical outrage really the way forward? Every single time?

Surely there is more to having a good striker than scoring goals. Not having an option when Kane came off doesn't help the midfield/defence. Just because Spurs scored 2 doesn't mean that there wasnt a problem with our strikers yesterday.

Wow! Do you think any of the top 4 (who I think we aspire to) would be happy with a winger playing as a makeshift striker because they have no other option once there main striker gets injured? And yes we have signed an unproven 22 year old winger he's not a striker. So we only have 1 striker. My point is proven.

He's not a winger. Spurs don't play with wingers. He's a forward who likes to drift wide, a la Henry, Remy etc. In Cameroon they've compared him to Eto'o. I'm not comparing him to any of them in quality because it's too early to tell, but you've clearly never seen him play.

• Advertisement

Morgans wrote: »
    Surely there is more to having a good striker than scoring goals. Not having an option when Kane came off doesn't help the midfield/defence. Just because Spurs scored 2 doesn't mean that there wasnt a problem with our strikers yesterday.

I didn't say that, I said we didn't throw away a two goal lead through lack of strikers.

I didn't say that, I said we didn't throw away a two goal lead through lack of strikers.

Not having a quality striker to bring on didnt help. We noticeably drifted back down the pitch and invited Stoke on. That we scored two goals does not mean that the lack of strikers didnt have an impact on the result yesterday.

Morgans wrote: »
    Not having a quality striker to bring on didnt help. We noticeably drifted back down the pitch and invited Stoke on. That we scored two goals does not mean that the lack of strikers didnt have an impact on the result yesterday.

Whether or not it was a factor, it wasn't the main reason, as the hysteria here would suggest

I think it was the main reason yesterday. Everyone dropped back 15 yards after Kane came off. Stoke getting the ball far higher up the pitch as Spurs couldnt get out of their half. Someone big to hold up the ball, or someone quick to carry the ball up front would have been crucial IMO.

Havent read of the hysteria here but its not like Levy hasnt experience in this with Berbatov and Keane going and getting replaced by Frazier Campbell. its a very silly situation to be left with. Its hardly the only problem with Spurs, and getting a stiker wont solve all problems, its the area of urgent need.

It's just the fact that I can't see this happening at any other premiership club except spurs. It's stupid **** like this that frustrates me the most about our club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

no leadership in the side

got into a great position and fcuked it up in typical Spurs fashion

horrible to watch - it was like Stoke had an extra man for the 2nd half

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

You'd swear no other team in history has let a two goal lead slip?

Sugarlumps wrote: »

You'd swear no other team has started the season with only one recognised striker.........oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Sugarlumps wrote: »

Yesterday was the straw that broke the camel's back, the frustration has been building up for a long time now. The fact we lost a two goal lead is not the main reason for the reaction IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Yesterday was the straw that broke the camel's back, the frustration has been building up for a long time now. The fact we lost a two goal lead is not the main reason for the reaction IMO.

Frustration is understandable, unbearable I'd imagine being at the game. For the foreseeable future, it's going to stay this way. The constant managerial merry go round etc...

We've gotten round to rebuilding the defence. I hope the other weakness will be addressed.

we've not gotten round to rebuilding the defence at all, the fullbacks are still a complete liability with far too much emphasis on their attacking role. the gaps left aren't ever adequately covered and our centre halves would rather do anything than mark effectively.

pochettino has churned through players in defence, they can't all be the problem- the philosophy is unsound and until we install a system that establishes a back line that defends as a priority we are always going to be soft touch Tottenham.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

the fullbacks are still a complete liability with far too much emphasis on their attacking role. the gaps left aren't ever adequately covered

This is a good point. We're screaming out for an experienced holding midfielder as much as a striker.

Neither Mason or Bentaleb are a holding midfielder. While Dier has been trained as a centre back, he's only a stop-gap in there at the moment.

Somebody mentioned De Rossi from Roma before, there's no chance in getting him but he's the type of player we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

This is a good point. We're screaming out for an experienced holding midfielder as much as a striker.

Neither Mason or Bentaleb are a holding midfielder. While Dier has been trained as a centre back, he's only a stop-gap in there at the moment.

Somebody mentioned De Rossi from Roma before, there's no chance in getting him but he's the type of player we need.

Are midfield is crying out for a leader! Heard whispers of Sven Bender who I think would be an excellent signing but simply don't see it happening.

On another note, I hope Lamela goes. I've seen more than enough from him now to deem him surplus to the squad.

You'd swear no other team has started the season with only one recognised striker.........oh wait.

Soldado started the season a Spurs player. We've only been one game with one recognised striker.

Soldado started the season a Spurs player. We've only been one game with one recognised striker.

Your happy with that are ya?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Semantics ormus!

no leaders in the team - totally spineless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

To be fair Poch is quoted today saying that Soldado asked to be transferred at the start of preseason. So the club has known he would more or less be gone before the window shut.

why can't we get our business done early ?

Semantics ormus!
    irishmover wrote: »
    To be fair Poch is quoted today saying that Soldado asked to be transferred at the start of preseason. So the club has known he would more or less be gone before the window shut.

It's not semantics, we've been one game with one recognized striker. It's definitely not ideal, but it's also definitely not a reason to panic.

Poch knew Soldado would be gone before the window shut and equally knew that the club would be bringing in reinforcements before the window shut. He wouldn't have been allowed to leave otherwise, that's the point.

It's not semantics, we've been one game with one recognized striker. It's definitely not ideal, but it's also definitely not a reason to panic.

Poch knew Soldado would be gone before the window shut and equally knew that the club would be bringing in reinforcements before the window shut. He wouldn't have been allowed to leave otherwise, that's the point.

Soldado hasn't been part of first team plans since last season. He wasn't in the matchday squad for the Man United or Stoke game. We've had one striker in the first team plans since preseason.

There has been no out and out striker available to come on for Kane so far this season. That's the point the others were trying to make mate.

Soldado hasn't been part of first team plans since last season. He wasn't in the matchday squad for the Man United or Stoke game. We've had one striker in the first team plans since preseason.

There has been no out and out striker available to come on for Kane so far this season. That's the point the others were trying to make mate.

Soldado was part of Poch's plans, he said as much in pre-season. If he hadn't gone to Villareal he would've been used this season as back up to Kane.

Soldado was part of Poch's plans, he said as much in pre-season. If he hadn't gone to Villareal he would've been used this season as back up to Kane.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/9953265/tottenhams-mauricio-pochettino-waiting-for-right-striker-option

"It was a club decision (to sell Soldado). A club wanted the player and the player wanted to leave," Pochettino said. "This was his decision from the first day of pre-season.

"We knew he wanted to leave and we found the best solution for the club and for him."

Soldado was not part of Pochettino's plans since the first day of pre-season, Soldado asked to leave on day 1 and Poch agreed to find him a new club this summer. Hence why he was not in the squad for either of our opening games, just like Adebayour.

To summarise, we've had 1 striker in the first team plans since the first day of preseason.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/9953265/tottenhams-mauricio-pochettino-waiting-for-right-striker-option

"It was a club decision (to sell Soldado). A club wanted the player and the player wanted to leave," Pochettino said. "This was his decision from the first day of pre-season.

"We knew he wanted to leave and we found the best solution for the club and for him."

Soldado was not part of Pochettino's plans since the first day of pre-season, Soldado asked to leave on day 1 and Poch agreed to find him a new club this summer. Hence why he was not in the squad for either of our opening games, just like Adebayour.

To summarise, we've had 1 striker in the first team plans since the first day of preseason.

"Today Soldado is our player and he is in our plans" Pochettino on August 3rd.

He wasn't in the squad for the opening game because he had a back injury. He wasn't in the squad for the second game because he had signed for Villareal.

The plan was always to sell Soldado and replace him. But until he was sold he was part of the first team squad and would have been used as back up to Kane.

Adebayor on the other hand was not being considered for selection. Not part of the manager's plans.

• Advertisement

"Today Soldado is our player and he is in our plans" Pochettino on August 3rd.

He wasn't in the squad for the opening game because he had a back injury. He wasn't in the squad for the second game because he had signed for Villareal.

The plan was always to sell Soldado and replace him. But until he was sold he was part of the first team squad and would have been used as back up to Kane.

Adebayor on the other hand was not being considered for selection. Not part of the manager's plans.

I'm sorry but you're completely wrong here. Soldado asked for a transfer on the first day back at the club in July. Poch has covered that up until now. They've been actively seeking a new club for him since then (hence he is NOT in the first team plans for this season)

Read the quotes man. It is clear as day. One striker in the first team plans for this season. Soldado was in the shop window.

Advertisement