Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tottenham v Stoke

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

irishmover wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you're completely wrong here. Soldado asked for a transfer on the first day back at the club in July. Poch has covered that up until now. They've been actively seeking a new club for him since then (hence he is NOT in the first team plans for this season)

Read the quotes man. It is clear as day. One striker in the first team plans for this season. Soldado was in the shop window.

I completely agree!

The plan was always to sell Soldado and replace him. But until he was sold he was part of the first team squad and would have been used as back up to Kane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Ormus wrote: »
    I completely agree!

The plan was always to sell Soldado and replace him. But until he was sold he was part of the first team squad and would have been used as back up to Kane.

Would have been but had a 'back injury' right?

**** me this is going nowhere. The club has known since the first week of July that we'll be down to 1 striker for the season. That's almost 6 weeks. Anyone defending that is beyond ridiculous at this stage.

Whether they fabricated an injury for Soldado or not fact remains we left ourselves with 1 striking option for the start of the season.

Would have been but had a 'back injury' right?

**** me this is going nowhere. The club has known since the first week of July that we'll be down to 1 striker for the season. That's almost 6 weeks. Anyone defending that is beyond ridiculous at this stage.

Whether they fabricated an injury for Soldado or not fact remains we left ourselves with 1 striking option for the start of the season.

1 striker for the season, are you serious?!?

This is exactly the kind of hysteria I'm talking about. Let me assure you, there is no way on earth we'll have only one striker for the season.

I'm assuming you have solid evidence of this injury fabrication conspiracy theory.

This is exactly the kind of hysteria I'm talking about. Let me assure you, there is no way on earth we'll have only one striker for the season.

I'm assuming you have solid evidence of this injury fabrication conspiracy theory.

I used to actually think you talked a bit of common sense on here. There's being illogical and then there's that. Knitpicking to back up a pretty hole riddled argument is pretty ludicrous.

Let's just try once more before I seriously lose hope in you. I'll even break it right down just to be sure.

We started the season with 1 striker.

We had known we'd start the season with 1 striker since the first day of preseason unless we signed another player or promoted a youth player to the first team.

Soldado was not part of the first team plans since early july and conveniently was unavailable for our season openers. Fully confirmed by Pochettino himself that he was being sold and wanted to leave since early July. Seriously no denying right from horses mouth.

There was no striking option from the bench for our first two games of the season.

Therefore, to make this completely easy to understand and to make sure you can't knitpick... we had one striking option for the start of the season. We had known that this was the case since early July and nobody acted on it. Its amateur to say the least

I used to actually think you talked a bit of common sense on here. There's being illogical and then there's that. Knitpicking to back up a pretty hole riddled argument is pretty ludicrous.

Let's just try once more before I seriously lose hope in you. I'll even break it right down just to be sure.

We started the season with 1 striker.

We had known we'd start the season with 1 striker since the first day of preseason unless we signed another player or promoted a youth player to the first team.

Soldado was not part of the first team plans since early july and conveniently was unavailable for our season openers. Fully confirmed by Pochettino himself that he was being sold and wanted to leave since early July. Seriously no denying right from horses mouth.

There was no striking option from the bench for our first two games of the season.

Therefore, to make this completely easy to understand and to make sure you can't knitpick... we had one striking option for the start of the season. We had known that this was the case since early July and nobody acted on it. Its amateur to say the least

Seriously, if you have to stretch the truth to make a point, it's probably not that good a point.

You still don't understand that I'm agreeing with you that the plan was always to sell Soldado. And you still don't understand that a player who is transfer listed and not in a club's long term plans can still be used by the club until sold.

You've concocted some fake injury theory out of thin air to try to enforce your point, and you've turned having only 1 striker for a couple of games in August into having only one striker for an entire season, and call it nitpicking when I call you out on it.

I agree with you in that our striker situation is not good at present and the club should have acted faster and been better prepared for the season. But the situation will be sorted soon, so I'm saying lets not panic, and lets stick to the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

OK Ormus answer this how many strikers do we have available to us now?
    How many weeks before the transfer window closes?
    How many strikers do you think we need considering all the top clubs have more than 1 at the moment.

Seriously, if you have to stretch the truth to make a point, it's probably not that good a point.

You still don't understand that I'm agreeing with you that the plan was always to sell Soldado. And you still don't understand that a player who is transfer listed and not in a club's long term plans can still be used by the club until sold.

You've concocted some fake injury theory out of thin air to try to enforce your point, and you've turned having only 1 striker for a couple of games in August into having only one striker for an entire season, and call it nitpicking when I call you out on it.

I agree with you in that our striker situation is not good at present and the club should have acted faster and been better prepared for the season. But the situation will be sorted soon, so I'm saying lets not panic, and lets stick to the truth.

You and I both know that the 1 striker for the season was a tongue in cheek comment I meant to put start of the season. Using that twice to back up your rubbish argument is just plain silly.

Just sitting back now and having a think about our situation. We have a half prepared squad for an important season for Pochettino with two weeks to go in the transfer window and the season under way. **** me this is embarrassing considering we've known exactly who and who not we would be starting the season with. Who starts a season with a half built squad?

You can pretend to think you know Soldado was injured and accept that's what our club has said but in reality you and me both don't know. You've got no x-rays at hand to back up the injury. Its exactly as I said, convenient.

Anyway I'm done with this. Its going nowhere. You're clearly happy we started the season with no striking options on the bench so I'm not going to continue trying to convince you how unprepared that makes our club look.

tom1ie wrote: »
    OK Ormus answer this how many strikers do we have available to us now?
    How many weeks before the transfer window closes?
    How many strikers do you think we need considering all the top clubs have more than 1 at the moment.

1. 1 out and out striker. N'Jie and Chadli back up options.
    2. 2
    3. We need to sign at least one, maybe two. Most likely scenario is one now and one in January.

You and I both know that the 1 striker for the season was a tongue in cheek comment I meant to put start of the season. Using that twice to back up your rubbish argument is just plain silly.

Just sitting back now and having a think about our situation. We have a half prepared squad for an important season for Pochettino with two weeks to go in the transfer window and the season under way. **** me this is embarrassing considering we've known exactly who and who not we would be starting the season with. Who starts a season with a half built squad?

You can pretend to think you know Soldado was injured and accept that's what our club has said but in reality you and me both don't know. You've got no x-rays at hand to back up the injury. Its exactly as I said, convenient.

Anyway I'm done with this. Its going nowhere. You're clearly happy we started the season with no striking options on the bench so I'm not going to continue trying to convince you how unprepared that makes our club look.

I honestly didn't know it was tongue in cheek, sorry, but some of the madness being spoken on this forum makes it hard to tell.

We don't have any evidence he was injured, other than the club saying he was, and we have even less evidence he wasn't injured. So why are we even talking about it?

How am I clearly happy, when I've already said at least twice that I'm not happy about us starting the season badly prepared? I'm very clearly not happy, but I'm also not in a panic about it.

1. 1 out and out striker. N'Jie and Chadli back up options.
    2. 2
    3. We need to sign at least one, maybe two. Most likely scenario is one now and one in January.

N'Jie and Chadli are midfielders not strikers. Square peg round hole.
    Gonna be tight getting 2 strikers in 2 weeks and giving them time to settle in don't ya think? At which stage who knows what points could be won/lost.
    So to conclude someone/ a bunch of people at spurs have really dropped the ball on this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Gonna be tight getting 2 strikers in 2 weeks and giving them time to settle in don't ya think? At which stage who knows what points could be won/lost.
    So to conclude someone/ a bunch of people at spurs have really dropped the ball on this one

I'm afraid it just wasn't high on their list of priorities this summer
    Brand awareness via the Audi Cup + the US were more important to them

That said, I expect Berahino to be a Spurs player before 1 Sep in classic Levy Lastminute.com fashion

That signing might appease some of the fans, but most can see through this joker's antics by now.

N'Jie isn't a midfielder at all at all. Not sure where you got that from. He's a forward. Probably not a number 9, but a forward nonetheless.

Chadli is an attacking midfielder who can also play as a striker.

I don't think it's going to be too tight no, I'm confident we'll get at least one. If he's from abroad he may take time to settle. If it's Austin or Berahino, they should be able to hit the ground running. Strikers generally don't need as much time to settle as say centre halves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Chadli is our back up striker !?@?

F**k me lads. Is this what we have been reduced too.

N'Jie isn't a midfielder at all at all. Not sure where you got that from. He's a forward. Probably not a number 9, but a forward nonetheless.

Chadli is an attacking midfielder who can also play as a striker.

I don't think it's going to be too tight no, I'm confident we'll get at least one. If he's from abroad he may take time to settle. If it's Austin or Berahino, they should be able to hit the ground running. Strikers generally don't need as much time to settle as say centre halves.

I didn't know that fact about strikers not needing as much time as centre halfs to settle.
    Have to say you are one optimistic person fair play. Unfortunately I don't share your views but each to his own! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

The point I tried to make a month ago is that this was always the plan. Levy said it himself in an interview on SSN that he expected most of the activity to happen in the last 2 weeks.

... The last 2 weeks before the season opener or the last 2 before the transfer window closes. No one knew at the time but it's clearly the latter.

Sadly, that's the way we do business now. But it's completely self defeating.

We might save a few million or pick up a VdV style bargin but it means we don't get are number one targets or even if we do its October before we get going and then we miss out on the top 4 by 6-10 points.

Chadli is our back up striker !?@?

F**k me lads. Is this what we have been reduced too.

Clinton is our back up striker, until we sign another this week.

Chadli is back up to the back up, and he'll shortly be back up to the back up to the back up.

Yep, that's what we've been reduced to.

Clinton is our back up striker, until we sign another this week.

Chadli is back up to the back up, and he'll shortly be back up to the back up to the back up

Yep, that's what we've been reduced to.

This is what our club is doing to its fanbase. Turning us all into Limp Bizkit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Alderweireld's comments were to the point.

"At Southampton, Victor Wanyama and Morgan Schneiderlin put good pressure on so [opponents] didn't have time to put the ball in the box; it makes it easier for defenders," he said.

Welcome to the Tottenham midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Jaysis, my brain was hurting reading this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Sugarlumps wrote: »

"At Southampton, Victor Wanyama and Morgan Schneiderlin put good pressure on so [opponents] didn't have time to put the ball in the box; it makes it easier for defenders," he said.

I'm glad he came out and said it, something has to change!

• Advertisement

I'm glad he came out and said it, something has to change!

I'd agree, only took him two games to work it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I'd agree, only took him two games to work it out.

Not necessarily. He may have seen it in pre-season and brought it up privately. He only went public with it after the Stoke game.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones though, he defended poorly for the peno!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Last season we had too many defensive midfielders and now we seem short. Don't know why Levy got rid of Capoue & Stambouli if we don't buy replacements and end up with Dier in midfield. Dier ( although he had a decent game v Stoke) is a CB or maybe a RB. He will be found out in midfield.
    Cannot judge Levy until the window closes but he will probably leave it to the last few minutes on transfer deadline day to do business.

Selling Stambouli was a poor move to be honest.

Last season we had too many defensive midfielders and now we seem short. Don't know why Levy got rid of Capoue & Stambouli if we don't buy replacements and end up with Dier in midfield. Dier ( although he had a decent game v Stoke) is a CB or maybe a RB. He will be found out in midfield.
    Cannot judge Levy until the window closes but he will probably leave it to the last few minutes on transfer deadline day to do business.

And if Dier gets injured it'll mean Alderweireld filling that role or another CB. Don't think anyone expected Dier to start there?

"We have worked very hard in the last six months to identify our targets, to have a clear idea and picture, we analyse and assess all the situations to deliver in the summer," said Pochettino.

"You know you do not have much time to decide, the holidays are coming and we need to be ready to take the decisions.

"We have three games left and when we have finished the season, then in this moment we can explain our plan. We have a plan and we have a target, but the most important thing is we have to deliver and move forward."

Where the fúck are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

And if Dier gets injured it'll mean Alderweireld filling that role or another CB. Don't think anyone expected Dier to start there?

"We have worked very hard in the last six months to identify our targets, to have a clear idea and picture, we analyse and assess all the situations to deliver in the summer," said Pochettino.

"You know you do not have much time to decide, the holidays are coming and we need to be ready to take the decisions.

"We have three games left and when we have finished the season, then in this moment we can explain our plan. We have a plan and we have a target, but the most important thing is we have to deliver and move forward."

Where the fúck are they?

I don't even listen to his interviews or press conferences anymore, all he does is spew the party line. He is a dream for Levy because he does not let his mouth run off like Harry used to, the ultimate yes man IMO. Having said all that I hope he gets the players and gets time to bed them in.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    I don't even listen to his interviews or press conferences anymore, all he does is spew the party line. He is a dream for Levy because he does not let his mouth run off like Harry used to, the ultimate yes man IMO. Having said all that I hope he gets the players and gets time to bed them in.

Your right about that, he'll get frustrated and bolt. Getting rid of the deadwood in midfield and replacing them with a novice who has never played there is nuts.

Advertisement