Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity asking for a deposit after moving house

Options
  • 14-08-2015 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I've been with Airtricity for the past 5 mths and had to move to a new place there. I was happy to continue getting my electricity from them in the new place but they tell me I need to pay their 200 euro deposit again. This struck me as ridiculous. I've been with them on and off in the past (always paid my bills no problem) but here they are looking for a deposit again.
    Anyone any ideas what this is about.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Quite standard if you are renting the house. Same as with your landlord, the chances are you have paid a one month deposit.

Possibly if you pay by direct debit they may waive it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Hi
    I've been with Airtricity for the past 5 mths and had to move to a new place there. I was happy to continue getting my electricity from them in the new place but they tell me I need to pay their 200 euro deposit again.
    Thanks.

They already have a deposit from you? I presume they will give you your old deposit back when you terminate your current account and then you give it back to them when you open a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Menas wrote: »
    They already have a deposit from you? I presume they will give you your old deposit back when you terminate your current account and then you give it back to them when you open a new one?

No. I signed up to one of those lads going door to door last February with no deposit. I do DD and electronic billing. So I was on dual fuel in the old place moving to only electricity (day and night meter) in the new place. I thought it would be seamless. I like how there is no mention of a deposit until the end of the call.

They have offered a compromise of giving me 20% off the day rate (plus the usual night rate) finishing out the last 7 months of the contract in the new place the second time I called. So I suppose I'll think about it but I don't get the rationale for a deposit half way through a contract i've signed up to earlier in the year.

Incidentally can anyone explain to me the rationale of night rates from 2am to 9am rather then 12am to 9am, say. Is it that they're trusting that you'll be tucked up in bed (like most normal people) rather than staying up to all hours to put on a wash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Surprised with dd - but maybe they just have had too many renters not pay, so are taking deposits off everyone. I know in the UK many years ago, it was standard even if you were dd and a customer for years.
    Whilst you are probably 100% honets, there are thousands who will try and get out of paying a last bill and that effectively adds to the cost of everyone

Another option is to try panda power - better value and sign up in less than 2 minutes online.

Advertisement