Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total Refurb - 1000sq ft 3 bed cottage. Costs?

Options
  • 14-08-2015 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,

We are thinking of taking on a refurb project. We've read up loads, done some initial pricing and would love to see if we're on the right track! So anyone with a similar experience please chip in. Much appreciated.

Some info - cottage in Wicklow, ~1000 sq ft, 3 bedrooms. It was living in until about 5 years ago but needs a full refurb. You can see damp on the walls etc. Structurally the roof is fine. We're ignoring from our costs; back garden and driveway for now in our plans; both are small and we can live with them and we have all appliances and internal furniture we need. Inside doors are fine too.

We did a rough budget. Allowed an extra 10k for anything we've forgotten. I know the cost depends on the level of finish but assuming it's "standard". Just wondering are there any obvious we're missing?

1. Outside - gutters, little bit of fixing to roof if needed (don't expect it), painting = 5k; don't think it but just to cover any surprises outside

2. Structure - rewire (7k), replumb and heating (9k), insulate and plaster (6k), paint (2k), other labour (3k), windows and outside doors 5k (family member rate) = 32k

3. Fittings - flooring / tiles (4k), bathroom (6k), kitchen (5k) = 15k

4. Contingency - 10k

Gives us a total of €62k, lets says €65k. We are assuming low €55k - expected €60k - high €65k

Our questions are:
    1. Are we missing anything obvious? Do people that have done something similar have a similar number?

2. Specifically about damp - there is damp on the walls. If we allow money for insulating all walls and the attic and re-plastering all walls is this enough usually or is there more we need to budget for?

Thanks for the help!
    G

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

If your doing windows now is the time to look at External wall insulation & air-tightness. Spend time on the construction details -IMO get arch help & Qs help with material quantities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

BryanF wrote: »
    If your doing windows now is the time to look at External wall insulation & air-tightness.

This!!

Allow €110/m2 for external wall insulation. It will solve a load of your problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

cronin_j wrote: »
    This!!

Allow €110/m2 for external wall insulation. It will solve a load of your problems!

Hi guys,

Just jumping in here hoping you're in the know. I've been quoted 130 sq/m for EWI and not sure if I'm getting shafted as I find it hard to see this price anywhere. Also when you are quoted do they take away some sq meterage for windows etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just jumping in here hoping you're in the know. I've been quoted 130 sq/m for EWI and not sure if I'm getting shafted as I find it hard to see this price anywhere. Also when you are quoted do they take away some sq meterage for windows etc?

Sounds expensive.

Yes, however windows create their own problems, they have reveals etc that need extra work.

Advertisement