Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expedia/Hotel not honouring Special Deal

Options
  • 14-08-2015 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Hi all I'm looking for advise on which way to proceed with the following problem.

10 days ago I booked a week at the hotel in Salou for October with Expedia.ie
    When I went to book my stay the price included a Special Deal which when I clicked on showed that it was an all inclusive plan. (See screenshot)

However when I looked at my emailed itinerary after purchasing the deal there is no mention of the All Inclusive, It just states Breakfast Included.

I emailed Expedia about this and they got back to me a week later to inform me that the hotel said my booking is for Breakfast included only.
    By the way this deal is still on offer this morning

Have I any way of insisting that Expedia and the hotel honour the special deal advertised or do I just cancel and look elsewhere

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

reply to them with the link and screenshot and say that you have booked what was and is currently advertised

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Reply with the screenshot and request that they honour it, as you booked based on what was advertised.

If they will not honour it, you should request a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Thanks for the replies folks.
    I've emailed them with the links and screenshots and requested that they honour my booking in full.
    Free cancelation was included in the price so I can do that if need arises, but obviously we would prefer the deal we assumed we had purchased

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Berberis wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies folks.
    I've emailed them with the links and screenshots and requested that they honour my booking in full.
    Free cancelation was included in the price so I can do that if need arises, but obviously we would prefer the deal we assumed we had purchased

You probably can't force them to honour it.

I had a similar experience with another company and made as much noise as possible on the companies Facebook and Twitter and got upgraded to a Suite for the price of a Deluxe Double room ;)

You probably can't force them to honour it.

I had a similar experience with another company and made as much noise as possible on the companies Facebook and Twitter and got upgraded to a Suite for the price of a Deluxe Double room ;)

Still waiting on a reply to my email from last week which had the screenshots attached.
    So I rang them this morning and was getting nowhere. Asked the operator to log on to Expedia.ie and do the hotel search and he could then read out the deal that I can still see on their web site.
    At that stage he then said he was not able to deal with this and passed me on to someone else/other dept.
    The next person said they were having a computer glitch and could not check my booking and could they ring me back in 1-2 hours which was 2 hours ago.
    So I am sure they will ring any moment now:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Looks like it may be a mistake on the listing, the other more expensive options do not include this deal. Prepare a backup plan as if you stick to your guns then cancelling may be the only option.

Update:
    never got the promised call back so emailed them again and received a reply on 24 Aug saying they have escalated my case to their priority escalations team and will be updated in the following 3 - 5 working days.
    Waited 8 days and got no update so emailed them again on 1st Sep and got this reply on 2nd Sept:

Dear *****
    Thank you for contacting Expedia.ie.
    We apologise for the inconvenience caused.
    I have checked the details for ******** and can see that your case is under investigation. Once we will receive a reply, we will get back to you.
    Thank you for using Expedia.ie.

So its now 12 Sept. 39 days since my original email to them and 19 days since been moved on to their Priority Escalations Team.
    Not bothered to be honest now if I get the deal I booked. Now its more about the way their so called customer service has given me me the run around.
    So has anyone any suggestions on how I should proceed now, i really want to be a thorn in their side now but I am not on facebook or twitter to make the noise suggested by earlier poster but am able to email and write letters.
    Is their a body similar to comreg that I can report them to

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Berberis wrote: »
    Is their a body similar to comreg that I can report them to

You could report them to the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission for failing to provide the product advertised or you could make a complaint for false advertising to the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland.

Expedia Ireland's office is in Belfast so you may need to go through the UK counterparts to the above agencies.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    You could report them to the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission for failing to provide the product advertised or you could make a complaint for false advertising to the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland.

Expedia Ireland's office is in Belfast so you may need to go through the UK counterparts to the above agencies.

Thanks for that. I will look up these sites tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Does your email say your booking is €252?
    Often those things (specials or whatever) are only available if you book and pay right away and not use the pay later option.
    Though saying that, it does say it on the list, too!
    Seems like a great deal.. hope you get it!

• Advertisement

PeteK* wrote: »
    Does your email say your booking is €252?
    Often those things (specials or whatever) are only available if you book and pay right away and not use the pay later option.
    Though saying that, it does say it on the list, too!
    Seems like a great deal.. hope you get it!

Yep €252 and paid up front and all.
    I emailed them again today, complaining about the way their customer service has given me the run around and if they don't get back to me with this case resolved within 3 working days I will be reporting them to the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission and the Advertising Standards Authority. And lo and behold they replied within 3 hours to state

We apologise for the inconvenience caused to you.
    We have received a notification from the hotel stating that your booking is this booking is only in bed and breakfast.

So now looks like I think I will book somewhere else, but not cancel this place until just before the final date for free cancelling and in the meantime go ahead and report them and see what happens

Thank you for choosing Expedia.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi,

It would seem to me that the Special Deal is included in error.
    It does not make sense that the cheapest option is all inclusive and the dearer options are not !!
    The only one that also has the all inclusive option is the last and dearest one.
    Mistakes will happen when loading all the different options.
    This looks like one of them.
    I think the old saying " If it looks too good to be true, it probably is" applies..

Probably not what you want to hear, but that's my take on it.

Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭smallgarden

I had dealings with expedia earlier in the summer. I know you said you dont have a facebook account but I found the most efficient method was to contact their facebook page. I had an issue that was being dragged out and dragged out and was resolved within a few days on contacting the person on facebook. I couldnt fault their facebook customer service. If I were you id set up a basic facebook account and contact them. They have nightmare customer service but I got my refund in full.
    I contacted their twitter page too but it was the same person

I had dealings with expedia earlier in the summer. I know you said you dont have a facebook account but I found the most efficient method was to contact their facebook page. I had an issue that was being dragged out and dragged out and was resolved within a few days on contacting the person on facebook. I couldnt fault their facebook customer service. If I were you id set up a basic facebook account and contact them. They have nightmare customer service but I got my refund in full.
    I contacted their twitter page too but it was the same person

Thanks for the advice, but I won't be able to create Facebook account as I have often said in the past I never will and my children would disown me if I did. (long story)
    I have reported them to the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission for failing to provide the product advertised and have made a complaint for false advertising to the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland. I have also cancelled the booking and rebooked a different hotel (much nicer)and dearer) with a different booking site.
    Will be interesting how long I have to wait for my refund and to see if CCPC and ASA do anything about my complaints.
    Checked today and this special deal is still being offered, despite my bring it to their attention on several occasions. So I do not think this can be considered a mistake to be honest

Advertisement