Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeweller Problem - Rights in this situation?

Options
  • 14-08-2015 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice on this one. I've always had intermittent problems with my engagement ring which my husband purchased from a jewelers in Dublin, the last time of which was about two weeks ago, and I dropped it in to get a price on the repair (it's one claw on the main stone that's always been the issue) and if not we were going to take it elsewhere to have it reset.

Husband got a text to say that the ring was ready for collection in store, confused, I called the store to ask what this meant as we had only asked for a price. All the girl was able to tell me on the phone was that it had been replaced free of charge - I took this to mean the claw.

However, when husband went to collect it yesterday, they had given him a completely new ring, the setting was similar, but the band was thicker and not the same shape, and the stones were higher up - meaning the band that I bought from them to fit around my ring no longer looks right. They had never asked us whether this would be an option we would be interested in, they simply did it without our permission. I am so annoyed over it and upset as the ring they gave me looks cheap and tacky. Luckily I took pictures before it went in

What rights would I have in relation to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Well before anything else ring them and tell them to locate the original and hold on to it before it's too late!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 thatgirl1

Just off the phone with them there, the manager I spoke to seemed a bit snotty almost as if she was saying I should be delighted with my new ring.

I was told I could bring the ring in and take my old one back but that it was irreparable and wouldn't be able to get it fixed anywhere as there's not enough metal left to fix it - it's the claw that's the problem, so I think this is just ridiculous!

I also mentioned the lack of consultation with either myself or my husband and all I kept getting back was ' well you did get the new ring', no apologies or nothing.

We also bought our wedding bands there so they would have known that the similar ring that they gave me would not have fit the curved band I had gotten specifically to fit my original ring. I can't believe this is a company priding itself on their customer service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Don't wedding rings have sentimental value? 'Replacing' it sounds ludicrous to me..

Advertisement