Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comrades 2016

Options
  • 14-08-2015 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭

Comrades launch for next year was a few days back, going to pass on it this time myself but if anyone is tempted & wants any info just fire me a PM. Instead I'm going to give the GutsMuths-Rennsteiglauf a go in Germany, should be a bit easier going at a mere 72km :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Cheers John. Sorry to hear you won't be going next year. In terms of logistics, where would you recommend staying for a down year? Durban, Pietermaritzburg, or somewhere else entirely? Di you stick around either location for very long, or just spend a couple of days and then hoof it out of there?

Is there a rush from a registration perspective?

Thanks much!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I'll definitely head back there again but figure a break next year is a good idea & as a bonus might let me afford a skiing holiday :)

No mad panic in registering tbh, it will open at the start of Sept and you'll get a place handy enough. Entries close again at the end of Nov or when/if they reach some target number.

I've always stayed in Umhlanga as it's a nice little town where you can walk around at night without the sense of menace you'd get in some areas of Durban. This hotel is the best bet if you can get it as it's very close to bars/restaurants, the Umhlanga parkrun kicks off down on the beach front close by & there's a nature reserve along the beach that's very nice to take a run around. Up the road (walking distance although most people don't walk!) is a mega shopping centre as well. The shuttle bus from the airport will drop/collect you at the door for the princely sum of ~€3.50!

Lots of Comrades runners will be staying there so best bet is to arrange to share a taxi to Maritzburg with a few people rather than travelling into Durban to take the buses. The taxi service run from the hotel is very good so just get the guy's phone number & he'll come get you afterwards as well.

First year I was there, a few friends came along and we spend two weeks afterwards touring around in KwaZulu-Natal, the last two years it's been pretty much in/out just for the race. As it's Winter there, most places are fairly empty, one of my best memories is being in a wildlife park and being the only punters there! When I head back again think a bit of holidaying around Cape Town will be the plan.

Any other questions/queries just let me know...

Thanks Opus. Would you fly into Jo'burg and then transfer down somehow?

Expedia is your friend really, I've gone via Cape Town (this year) and Jo'burg (last year) depending on which was cheapest. First year travelled via Dubai as we stopped over for two days on the way back to have a look around. It's a long flight to go that way though so perhaps not the best prep for running 89km :)

One thing to watch out for is not to belive them at the airport when they say your bags will be checked through to Durban as that's an outright lie! You'll have to collect them & check them in again for the internal flight. Doesn't apply on the way back thankfully.

opus wrote: »
    Expedia is your friend really, I've gone via Cape Town (this year) and Jo'burg (last year) depending on which was cheapest. First year travelled via Dubai as we stopped over for two days on the way back to have a look around. It's a long flight to go that way though so perhaps not the best prep for running 89km :)

One thing to watch out for is not to belive them at the airport when they say your bags will be checked through to Durban as that's an outright lie! You'll have to collect them & check them in again for the internal flight. Doesn't apply on the way back thankfully.
    Thanks John.... and apologies for all the touristy logistics questions. It actually looks like Dublin-Dubai-Durban is amongst the quickest of routes, with least amount of hops (only two flights and no internal SA flights). Would be nice to go via Cape Town though and spend a few days at one end of the trip. If I was going all that way, I'd have to make it a two week trip and plan some other family stuff around it.

• Advertisement

No problem at all, more than happy to pass on my experiences over the last three years. All this talk of Comrades has given me a lot self doubt about deciding not to go next year :)

Forgot you've much better options flying from Dublin, from Cork everything goes via Heathrow.

Few other things that popped into my head:
    • Ignore the huge queues at the expo as that's for the locals who pay far less than international runners, go right in & follow the signs for international registration
    • The bus tour of the route is well worth doing
    • Bruce Fordyce's after party on the Mon was good fun (went for the first time this year)
    • The internation runners gettogether in the Hilton is supposed to be good but I've never been there on the Thur evening to attend.

Advertisement