Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Door Issues

Options
  • 14-08-2015 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So a few months ago i was involved in a crash where another driver drove straight into the passenger side of my car, the whole lot needed replaced.

Got the work done with my local garage man but i have a few issues, one of the most annoying & the one i need advice about is...

Im not even too sure of the problem but is it possible the garage man didnt earth the door before putting it on? every time without fail opening/closing the door you get a massive electric shock. Is it dangerous & what can i do to solve the problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Rachel_Roo wrote: »
    So a few months ago i was involved in a crash where another driver drove straight into the passenger side of my car, the whole lot needed replaced.

Got the work done with my local garage man but i have a few issues, one of the most annoying & the one i need advice about is...

Im not even too sure of the problem but is it possible the garage man didnt earth the door before putting it on? every time without fail opening/closing the door you get a massive electric shock. Is it dangerous & what can i do to solve the problem?

Thanks

Touch the door frame before putting your feet down when getting out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

It would be fairly impossible for a single door to be entirely earthed from the rest of the car, considering there are two metal brackets holding it to the rest of the body. If the entire panel however had a different paint or top coat, its possible that a static charge could be built up on the outer surface and just holds it more than other panels on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Some people seem prone to static electricity most likely from their own clothing and footwear. Weather plays a role too as humidity can help dissipate static build up.
    It affects people differently, I rarely get shocked when getting into or out of my car but herself often gets a jolt with the same car, shopping trolleys, even metal railings fixed into the ground.

Advertisement