Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squab in Dublin City

Options
  • 13-08-2015 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get squab?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Moved from old thread to a thread of its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

:(

I'm just here to say shame on you

Gongoozler wrote: »

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You do know that squab is pigeon? Where's the shame in that? It is delicious!

OP - I'm afraid I don't know where you can get it in the city. I get it from time to time from a neighbour who is a farmer.

I love the breasts fried in butter & just a bit pink in the center. Great in a warm salad with fried garlicky sliced field mushroom on some peppery rocket with a good splash of Worcestershire sauce.

I usually keep the rest in the freezer until I have enough meat for a game stew or game pie.

Guten appetit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Yes, I know what squab is - it's a baby pigeon. That's what I disagree with.

I eat pigeon on toast. Yum.

No idea where to buy it though, game butchers? Terenure has one I think?

Yes, I know what squab is - it's a baby pigeon. That's what I disagree with.

Right, back on topic. Gongoozler, it's fine for you to not like something but don't look down on others if they don't like it, as long as it's legal then they can post here looking for it without judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Go to th hubting forum. Right now is the time the farmers are cutting the crop fields and the pigeon do be a serious pest then so it when we start to hammer the pigeons out.
    Ask on the forum and I'm sure anyone close will drop few to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There's nowt better than a freshly-shot pigeon. A bird that has had a good life flying around the fields & eaten straight from the land. Probably some of the best organic meat you can get too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Think I got some in "F X Buckley" once. Unit 3, Nutgrove Shopping Centre, Nutgrove Shopping Centre, 01 493 2547. Depending on what's in season, of course.

At the time I was looking for something more exotic but got what I think was some Irish bird, which I proceeded to throw on the BBQ later that evening.

If you want something more exotic, "Downey John & Son" in Terenure sometimes have alligator and boar steaks. Vacuum packed, so it keeps well,. Often by it when they have it, and throw it into the freezer for a BBQ when the weather is good.

Iceland do Kangaroo, Crocodile etc saw it the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I know its not the city as such, but Wrights Fishmongers in Howth often have out of the ordinary game meats. They have a big fridge in the centre of the shop and I've often seen unusual birds in it...quail, pheasant etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I also eat beef, lamb, fish, poultry, pork and other game. Some of it raw. All delicious.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tipperary Fairy

Hugh_C wrote: »
    I also eat beef, lamb, fish, poultry, pork and other game. Some of it raw. All delicious.

:)

As was pointed out, the issue was with it being a baby animal. But why reply to someone who has closed their account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

I can never understand the moral objection to eating a young animal as opposed to an old one. Especially with farmed animals.

But even with wild animals, it's better for the survival of the species to eat the young ones and allow the older ones to live and continue breeding. There's a reason most animals have multiple young.

Anyway, on topic: these guys say they can order-in squab (and tons of other unusual meats!) http://fenelons.ie/specialties/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've a pigeon nesting on my balcony here in Lisbon. Should have a squab for you in about 10 days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tipperary Fairy

face1990 wrote: »
    I can never understand the moral objection to eating a young animal as opposed to an old one. Especially with farmed animals.

But even with wild animals, it's better for the survival of the species to eat the young ones and allow the older ones to live and continue breeding. There's a reason most animals have multiple young.

It's funny though that when it comes to humans it's always more of a tragedy when a baby or child dies than an adult. It's interesting that (some) people see animals differently.

Anyway this thread was started ages ago so doubt that the op is still reading

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Anyway this thread was started ages ago so doubt that the op is still reading

He is. It was me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement