Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damien Duff...If He Was English

• 14-08-2015 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Was just thinking about Damien Duff and had the thought that if he was English, would he have made the same impact on the International scene...

Duff
    *100 caps for Ireland
    *1 World Cup
    *1 European Championship

Would he have played much for England if he was English...

People may be thinking this is pretty random, but growing up, i kept hearing about how a few of our lads from 88, 90 & 94 would have been in the English teams of the time. When the discussion of how far the caliber of our players has fallen in the last 20-25 years

Discuss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

As far as I remember England were crying out for a left winger of quality in an otherwise (on paper at least) excellent team at the time. They had to play the likes of Trevor Sinclair there.

I think he would have got a good few caps and would have made most tourney squads at the very least

It's a weird question, I'll give you that. But England always struggled for a decent left winger during Duff's peak so I'd say he would have been nailed on for a place in that team for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Now onto the question we all want to know -

Kevin Kilbane - if he was Brazilian. Discuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Morzadec wrote: »

Met him at the Galway races a few years back, the brother joked with him and called him Zinedine kilbane, didn't find it funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Met him at the Galway races a few years back, the brother joked with him and called him Zinedine kilbane, didn't find it funny

Why would he?
    Did your brother think he was being original ? Do you think hes never heard the term before?
    Do you think nobody else has ever said it to him??

Nah....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Why would he?
    Did your brother think he was being original ? Do you think hes never heard the term before?

Nah....

Jaysus didn't realize i posted this in After Hours...

Edit; Just checked, no i posted in the Soccer Forum

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Was a class player at his peak so I'd so he would have. Might not have reached 100 caps though, but defo a key player for the 2002 WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If they were naturalising wingers they probably would have gone a bit closer to home and picked Giggs. :)

The way you list his caps and tournaments appeared in make it look like he won a WC and EC.
    Morzadec wrote: »

He'd have been a keeper.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Why would he?

Nah....

Is that you Kevin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If my Auntie had balls.....

I would have loved to see Duff in an England jersey. He would have made the England team easily.

Beckham, Scholes, Gerrard and Duff. I'd be happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Probably wouldn't have reached 100 caps, but as others have said, England were crying out for left wingers. When you think they played Sinclair, Downing, (Scholes ffs), Duff would have got at the very least fifty caps for England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

He'd have made the team alright, but wouldn't have gone down as an English legend, whereas he is an Irish legend. My opinion on it. The way he played was very pleasing to the eye though, very entertaining player to watch, and far more effective than McGeady.

England, while still on the whole ****e technically wise, can still produce some lovely players fairly regularly. Not the same story for us, which is to be expected considering that we have essentially the same problems they have at youth development, probably to a bigger extent and partnered with a lower population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

England, while still on the whole ****e technically wise, can still produce some lovely players fairly regularly. Not the same story for us, which is to be expected considering that we have essentially the same problems they have at youth development, probably to a bigger extent and partnered with a lower population.

I would say we are making technically better players now than Duff ever was, if you only follow English football you will never see them.

We do have the same problem as England, its not our technically gifted players they want anymore :(

We both ****ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Damian Dive

Even in a nation of ManU and Liverpool fans, this has got to break records for an Anglo centric topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

"Do you know what he'd love..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Damian Dive

Damien Duff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Oh yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Duff's Rovers debut likely tomorrow at Tallaght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

He probably would have had an even bigger impact. Fair enough he wouldn't have played at Euro 2012 but he'd have played in far more international tournaments when he was at is peak. Even up until 2010 he might have made the odd appearance, and as far back as 2000. That would have been 5 major tournaments in an England shirt. And with England always crying out for a left footed winger, who knows what might have been?

Now, if Wayne Rooney had have declared for Ireland :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭kev250

Robbie over Rooney any day

Advertisement