Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using BOI mastercard and Visa Debit in the USA

Options
  • 14-08-2015 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

I will be in the USA next month and I want to use my Visa Debit and my BOI mastercard,
    are they using Chip and Pin now? or will I have to Sign? last year in New York I saw lots of people using swipe cards and their Cell phones at Walgreens checkouts, can I do that as well?
    Thanks  

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

You can use the card with swipe and sign and probably contactless if it has that feature.

The mobile phone thing is mostly Apple Pay currently only available in the U.S. & UK markets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

Bebop wrote: »
    I will be in the USA next month and I want to use my Visa Debit and my BOI mastercard,
    are they using Chip and Pin now? or will I have to Sign? last year in New York I saw lots of people using swipe cards and their Cell phones at Walgreens checkouts, can I do that as well?
    Thanks  
    Hi Bebop,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

Your Visa debit card and your MasterCard will both work in New York at the point of sale using your card PIN.

You can also use your cards at an ATM once the ATM accepts Visa and MasterCard cards.

See here for charges when abroad using your Visa debit card.

We’d advise you to send an ask a question via online service desk on Banking 365 to advise of your travel dates so a note can be put on your card. Alternatively you can call BOI Direct on 0818 365 365& a representative will be happy to assist you.

Have a nice holiday,

Tara C

Advertisement