Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

island view terrace kings island

• 14-08-2015 5:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39

hi , im looking for some information about this area

thinking of buying a place here , correct me if im wrong though , did this area get flooded a few winters ago

I might add this alone would not completely put me off , ive relatives who live in Dublin 3 and there place was flooded a number of years ago , never happened before or since

just like to know from an insurance POV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Stay away , I ve lived here all my life terrible place . Some great people living down here but apart from that it can be a hell hole honest advice here do not buy try going for somewhere else . The floods do destroy the place also

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 connacht_man

Stay away , I ve lived here all my life terrible place . Some great people living down here but apart from that it can be a hell hole honest advice here do not buy try going for somewhere else . The floods do destroy the place also

terrible in what way ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Any place that flooded (even just once) can be near impossible to get house insurance on, just something to be aware of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Islandview terrace is literally at the mouth of the regeneration area of kings island (locally known as the island or the island field). Like celligraphy says, there are a lot of good, salt of the earth people living there but there is also a big criminal element. A lot of the houses have been knocked in recent years but the regeneration project seems to have stalled now (correct me if I'm wrong?). It would be absolute madness to buy there, you'll more than likely never sell on and also those houses on islandview terrace are old and prone to damp etc. Not to mention the risk of flooding as they are built right on the river.

• Advertisement

Islandview terrace is literally at the mouth of the regeneration area of kings island (locally known as the island or the island field). Like celligraphy says, there are a lot of good, salt of the earth people living there but there is also a big criminal element. A lot of the houses have been knocked in recent years but the regeneration project seems to have stalled now (correct me if I'm wrong?). It would be absolute madness to buy there, you'll more than likely never sell on and also those houses on islandview terrace are old and prone to damp etc. Not to mention the risk of flooding as they are built right on the river.

houses are the price of a car there , I would not live there

BTL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If the house you are thinking of buying had flood damage and wasnt repaired, then you will need to do extensive ground floor work to bring it up to code. The flood destroyed those houses. Some very decent people living there, but wouldnt know about the criminal element as others have suggested.

Mc Love wrote: »
    If the house you are thinking of buying had flood damage and wasnt repaired, then you will need to do extensive ground floor work to bring it up to code. The flood destroyed those houses. Some very decent people living there, but wouldnt know about the criminal element as others have suggested.

I don't know if the house was flooded but it looks fine today , the estate agent was pretty open about how flooding did happen in the area a few years ago but wasn't able to confirm if this particular one was flooded , for an estate agent they were as honest as you could expect and like I said , ive an uncle in raheney in Dublin 3 who,s house got flooded nearly a decade ago , never happened before or since , has kings island been flooded numerous times or just that one off freak occurrence ?

less worried about the so called criminal element , those kind of guys live in middle class neighbourhoods too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

I don't know if the house was flooded but it looks fine today , the estate agent was pretty open about how flooding did happen in the area a few years ago but wasn't able to confirm if this particular one was flooded , for an estate agent they were as honest as you could expect and like I said , ive an uncle in raheney in Dublin 3 who,s house got flooded nearly a decade ago , never happened before or since , has kings island been flooded numerous times or just that one off freak occurrence ?

less worried about the so called criminal element , those kind of guys live in middle class neighbourhoods too

I think you are being a bit naïve about the type of criminals we are on about here. These are the types where if you were in a car accident and it was their fault, the gardai would tell you it would be best to drop it...
    Now that's years ago, but why open yourself to it when you are being told flat out, before you buy it, don't touch it with a barge pole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Ok honestly it's a terrible place to live you will have scum hanging around you door leaning against your car if you have one. Breaking your windows kicking in your door. Setting fire to your bins .

These are not the guys that live in middle class areas these guys run the whole place.

If they decide to hide drugs in your back garden , you can't say anything sorry I'm just telling you the truth .

Look for a better place to buy else where

• Advertisement

I would imagine you'd find it very hard to find tenants for a house in an area where the majority of people are desperate to move out of.

phill106 wrote: »
    I think you are being a bit naïve about the type of criminals we are on about here. These are the types where if you were in a car accident and it was their fault, the gardai would tell you it would be best to drop it...
    Now that's years ago, but why open yourself to it when you are being told flat out, before you buy it, don't touch it with a barge pole?

is it only these kind of people who buy houses in island view terrace , are we talking about a rathkeale type situation of settled flight ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

From an insurance point of view not a hope you'd get flood included.

Expect other insurance to be high as well. Would expect rebuild cost to be significantly higher than purchase price.

That should tell you all you need to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

A lot of people probably love living down there but I would imagine if 90% of them were offered a house elsewhere they would probably take it.

With the flooding a huge problem was that the people that had council houses there got all costs of repairs covered by the council but the people who had saved up and bought their houses ended up footing the bill themselves.

I remember when there was the big flood a year and a half ago hearing stories about people taking advantage of the situation and looting their neighbours. Felt so sorry for the good people down there.

From a speculation point of view...

Riverfront property is highly prized and I wouldn't be hugely surprised if that area get redeveloped and I don't mean rejuvenated.

I could see people in council houses being moved on and private owners being bought out.

I'd still not chance it.

From a speculation point of view...

Riverfront property is highly prized and I wouldn't be hugely surprised if that area get redeveloped and I don't mean rejuvenated.

I could see people in council houses being moved on and private owners being bought out.

I'd still not chance it.

central locations are rarely left to rot forever , its not like we are dealing with some far removed project - sink estate , area of Dublin which were once viewed as undesirable are now sought after

thinking Smithfield and to a lesser degree stoneybatter

central locations are rarely left to rot forever , its not like we are dealing with some far removed project - sink estate , area of Dublin which were once viewed as undesirable are now sought after

thinking Smithfield and to a lesser degree stoneybatter

Unless there's an actual plan by government/council to totally redevelop the area I can't see it changing. It wont gentrify naturally.

Just checked out the property I think you're talking about and it's not in the worst location.

It looks decent on the inside as well. Would start off with a 20% reduction on the current asking price.

Unless there's an actual plan by government/council to totally redevelop the area I can't see it changing. It wont gentrify naturally.

not talking about gentrification , Smithfield is not gentrified to the degree stoneybatter sort of is but compared to three or four decades ago , its much more livable

I doubt a place so close to the centre of limerick city will allowed to become a Compton

Just checked out the property I think you're talking about and it's not in the worst location.

It looks decent on the inside as well. Would start off with a 20% reduction on the current asking price.

there are two of them , number 4 and number 9 , one of them has a bid of 43 k on it , not sure which , I might check out both of them , my other half is from limerick but not anywhere near there , ive only gotten to know the city since around three years ago

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

near st marys park. nuff said. madness. wouldnt even live there if it were offered for free

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

look for a place in corbally or caherdavin or even thomondgate. dont go near kings island

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

The best thing for you to do is visit the estate between 8pm and 11pm. You'll soon come around to the idea of living as far away as possible.

Op has said he is looking to buy to let, although I'm not sure if he realises just how difficult it might be to let a house in the area. I've only ever heard of one house being privately rented around St Marys Park and the tenants didn't last very long there.

Ah so he's trying to get on the fabled property ladder on the lowest possible rung. An awful idea and decision should you go through with this OP. You will find it very very hard to rent the property and if you do, it could end up costing you an absolute fortune in upkeep and repairs over the course of a few years.

Take the money you are planning on spending on this house, go to your local paddy power and throw it in a horse. Less chance of losing money that way and if it wins you can afford to buy a house in a much better area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

https://www.realestatealliance.ie/residential/brochure/4-island-view-terrace-kings-island-limerick/3245609

That was my Grandfathers house many years ago, used to spend my childhood holidays down there. Nice to see the photos as it has certainly changed since the 70's :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I was looking at this house myself on daft and was wondering how such a lovely little house was going so cheaply. I don't think it's just the floods as the other posters have mentioned. It's a pity though as its really nice.

I was looking at this house myself on daft and was wondering how such a lovely little house was going so cheaply. I don't think it's just the floods as the other posters have mentioned. It's a pity though as its really nice.

Take that house and put it in Castletroy and it would be at least double the price, its a shame because as you said it looks like a lovely little house.

houses are the price of a car there , I would not live there

BTL

I actually missed this comment from the OP and the BTL bit. :rolleyes:

Invest away, OP. It's a steal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Ops question has been answered so closing the thread, the Op can PM me if they want it reopened.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement