Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

... for they do not know what they are doing

• 14-08-2015 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

From an ad I came across the other day:
    First in Ireland,

Caucasian shepherd X Belgian Malinois pups,

Will turn out to be big strong dogs with lots

Of drive and positive attitude

What on earth are people thinking?

The Caucasian is a livestock guardian dog with (among others) the following traits:
    • LGDs are independent self-thinkers, which means they may ignore your commands in favor of their own decision. They are truly not like herding, sporting or other working dog breeds you might be familiar with.

• LGDs may be aggressive to strangers on your property. This can be a liability and may impact your property insurance. It is a reason for good fences, educating your neighbors, socializing your dog, and posted signs that say Livestock Guard Dog at Work.

• LGDs can be very protective of stock. They may need to be confined when veterinarians, sheep shearers, or others are working on their stock. They may not tolerate herding or other farm dogs.

The Malinois on the other hand is a highly strung and very driven dog that needs extensive and dedicated training to become managable.
    Malinois temperament: When we speak about Malinois temperament, we mean a temperament for work. The Malinois is highly trainable, totally driven. and immensely responsive to outside factors, unlike a breed with a phlegmatic temperament such as the Labrador or Pit Bull, for example.

If you are not a relaxed, happy person who loves physical activity, and has a willingness to take a challenge head on, life will not go well for your Malinois puppy. No doubt it will devolve into a simpering-anti-social-fear-biting-paranoid-walking-liability and not the k9 super hero it was meant to be!

So then (first in Ireland no less) we have a combination of a stubborn, highly independent breed that doesn't react all that well to training beyond the basics and is totally unresponsive to guided work (because it was bred for centuries to be independent and work on its own) and a breed that absolutely needs constant guidance and training to be manageable at all.

See the conflict there?

But hey ...both breeds look menacing, both dogs can and will bite (one when asked, the other when provoked) and thus are are "hard man's" wet dream. Combining both surely must make that dream even wetter.

Pity that the "hard man" who created this cross couldn't think further than his big ego and actually consider what they were doing ...these poor puppies are bound for the pound and early destruction (best case scenario) or another tabloid headline containing the words "savaged" waiting to happen (worst case scenario)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Yikes!

Another one I saw not long ago were Malinois Husky mix puppies for sale, and I'm pretty sure I saw some of the same puppies looking for a home at a rescue somewhere when they started to leave that "cute puppy" stage.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 YesPlease

Honestly mental, why anyone would do that is beyond me! Wonder in 2 years time from that litter how many will with their original owners...very few I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

You would want some set of shoulders to hold onto the lead with one of those on the end of it! Not a wise combination as OP says.

Advertisement