Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Superthread 2016/17

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sevilla out atleticoed athletico.

Filthy match but n away point vs one of the top 4 is a good result.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Not much of a difference between Zidane's Real Madrid and Rafa's Real Madrid. This was the first semblance of a test he has faced as Madrid manager and he didn't pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Not much of a difference between Zidane's Real Madrid and Rafa's Real Madrid. This was the first semblance of a test he has faced as Madrid manager and he didn't pass.

If we're fair about it, I don't think we can speak as anything being Zidane's Real Madrid after so few games. I think you should be fair about it.

CSF wrote: »
    If we're fair about it, I don't think we can speak as anything being Zidane's Real Madrid after so few games. I think you should be fair about it.

I thought about it and, considering some Real Madrid fans I've seen have been quick to proclaim Zidane a managerial genius I do find it funny that the first test he's faced and it hasn't gone particularly well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I thought about it and, considering some Real Madrid fans I've seen have been quick to proclaim Zidane a managerial genius I do find it funny that the first test he's faced and it hasn't gone particularly well.

He did little enough managing Castilla for anyone to call him a genius.

• Advertisement

Just another interesting state I came across. Vermaelen, who only played 45 minutes against Malaga, completed 23 passes in that game, Ronaldo tonight against Betis in 94 minutes completed 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I'm fairly sure you were quick to jump down Enrique's throat in January of last year when he had apparently lost the dressing room and fell out with Messi. And I'm sure a quick search of posts dating back to then would confirm that.

If it's good enough for the goose.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Double post

I'm fairly sure you were quick to jump down Enrique's throat in January of last year when he had apparently lost the dressing room and fell out with Messi. And I'm sure a quick search of posts dating back to then would confirm that.

If it's good enough for the goose.....

I like that you say "apparently" as though there's some doubt about what I said being true. I've gone over this many times so there's not much need to go over it again, I'll say just say it was a pivotal moment for this group of players. Under a disastrous board, having seemingly appointed a puppet to replace a foolish choice of manager, it seemed like if it wasn't already over, that this would be the end of, arguably, the greatest group of players in football history. As we know now, Messi made his play, Enrique adjusted and what we ended up with is getting the best of Enrique's methods which, in turn, got the absolute maximum from this group of players. Was I wrong about Enrique in the long term? Absolutely, the man is a magnificent Barcelona head coach, was I wrong about Enrique at the time? Absolutely not.

I think this goes back to what I was saying previously about Zidane though. You were wrong about Enrique because you reacted far too quickly in relation to a new manager who wasn't doing at all badly (which I think mirrors the Zidane situation here) and ended up looking silly as a result.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    I think this goes back to what I was saying previously about Zidane though. You were wrong about Enrique because you reacted far too quickly in relation to a new manager who wasn't doing at all badly (which I think mirrors the Zidane situation here) and ended up looking silly as a result.

I think that depends very much on you consider to be "not doing badly at all" I feel like up until January it was all pretty ordinary, not good enough and not enough of a departure from what we had seen under Tata Martino. It's not as if he just continued doing the same things, post Sociedad things changed significantly.

I don't even remember writing off Zidane, I've simply stated that in his first test as Real Madrid manager, he didn't do so well. Is that incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Just another interesting state I came across. Vermaelen, who only played 45 minutes against Malaga, completed 23 passes in that game, Ronaldo tonight against Betis in 94 minutes completed 18.

Ah Vermaelen, forgot about him. Thought he had vanished off the face of the earth!

I think that depends very much on you consider to be "not doing badly at all" I feel like up until January it was all pretty ordinary, not good enough and not enough of a departure from what we had seen under Tata Martino. It's not as if he just continued doing the same things, post Sociedad things changed significantly.

I don't even remember writing off Zidane, I've simply stated that in his first test as Real Madrid manager, he didn't do so well. Is that incorrect?

It's not incorrect but I don't think it really bears a mention. Like Enrique before him, the aim now will of course be to start well enough while finding your stride that you're still in touch by the time you've left a mark on the team. The situation he inherited means that domestically that probably won't be able to bear any fruit until next season.

Champions League is probably a more realistic target, given he will have had time by the time the latter stage kicks in, but I'd still think that Barca and Bayern are at a distinct advantage.

I expect (and hope for) Zidane to end the season trophyless but this season is really about him building his team anyway. He will have to hit the ground running next season though and will have to win either the league or the champions league or be immediately considered a failure at Real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Barcelona released a rare short video this week ,of Messi when he was only 16 years old,its a good watch.

It's frightening how good he is at such a young age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I just remembered why I stay out of La Liga thread, thought maybe Id see something about the some of the other teams, thanks for reminding me its all about Barcelona are great Real are the devil :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Soooo how are we all feeling about old Gary, I want him to succeed as hes a real football thinker, funnily enough I think Brendan Rogers would have been more suited to Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

astonaidan wrote: »
    Soooo how are we all feeling about old Gary, I want him to succeed as hes a real football thinker

He's been pretty poor to be honest. However, I will credit him for bringing Negredo back into the team as he's rescued Valencia a few times.
    funnily enough I think Brendan Rogers would have been more suited to Spain

I'd actually agree with you. Though he would need to go back to his possession and 'death by football' roots. His sides would have more time on the ball in La Liga.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I just remembered why I stay out of La Liga thread, thought maybe Id see something about the some of the other teams, thanks for reminding me its all about Barcelona are great Real are the devil :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Soooo how are we all feeling about old Gary, I want him to succeed as hes a real football thinker, funnily enough I think Brendan Rogers would have been more suited to Spain

I usually talk about real betis or sevilla, we're not all Barcelona fans! But Madrid are the devils haha, much prefer atlético to the big two

Hmmm.....I wonder if we browse back through this thread how much have you contributed to games that haven't involved the big two? I suspect if you read back over the thread, I'm one of the biggest contributors on this board to this thread both overall and games not involving the big two. How's Gary Neville doing? I've written extensively about it.....in this thread. How do you think Neville is doing, I haven't heard your opinion on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Dongou left barca b and signed for zaragoza i see which is interesting, was crazy hyped a while back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

klose wrote: »
    Dongou left barca b and signed for zaragoza i see which is interesting, was crazy hyped a while back

Yeah Graham Hunter said he could be better than Messi :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

, funnily enough I think Brendan Rogers would have been more suited to Spain

For a start, he speaks Spanish.

Hmmm.....I wonder if we browse back through this thread how much have you contributed to games that haven't involved the big two? I suspect if you read back over the thread, I'm one of the biggest contributors on this board to this thread both overall and games not involving the big two. How's Gary Neville doing? I've written extensively about it.....in this thread. How do you think Neville is doing, I haven't heard your opinion on the matter.

Yawn, Im sure you aware how I feel about your contribution, in that I dont read it, knee jerk reactions arent my thing,
    Yeah having read back the last 6 pages, well you clearly talk nonsense and hyperbole about one team, proving my point about your opinion on football, thanks though.

In other news Real Mallorca out of relegation zone and Steve Nash is apart of the team that has taken a controlling interest.

Yawn, Im sure you aware how I feel about your contribution, in that I dont read it, knee jerk reactions arent my thing,
    Yeah having read back the last 6 pages, well you clearly talk nonsense and hyperbole about one team, proving my point about your opinion on football, thanks though.

In other news Real Mallorca out of relegation zone and Steve Nash is apart of the team that has taken a controlling interest.

You mean my constant, consistent and, occasionally even rather good if I do say so myself, contribution to the Spanish football thread on Boards.ie. You know what, as a treat for you and for the regular viewers of this thread I'm going to promote an event. I'm calling it "The Astonaidan La Liga Football Thread Contributions Show." What is this you ask? Well, at some stage today I am going to read back through 52 pages of scintillating La Liga debate, I am going to find each post made by you and I am going to analyse it and at the end of all of that, we can judge just how essential and varied your contribution to this thread truly is

That was considerably shorter than I expected it to be. Astonaidan has contributed 2, count 'em!, 2 whole posts to the La Liga superthread this season! And, in a hilarious twist, both posts revolved around Andersonisgod. Not Celta Vigo, not Atletico Madrid, not Levante, not Malaga, not Rayo Vallecano, no, none of these, it was all about me. For someone so concerned with the quality of the conversation on this thread, and the supposed amount of it taken up by me, you really aren't doing a lot to help the situation. Other Spanish football topics discussed outside of this thread in the last 7 months? A few comments about Messi not being a deserved winner of the Balon D'or and a couple of comments about Gary Neville being appointed Valencia head coach. What's the lesson here? Don't throw stones when you live in a glasshouse.

You mean my constant, consistent and, occasionally even rather good if I do say so myself, contribution to the Spanish football thread on Boards.ie. You know what, as a treat for you and for the regular viewers of this thread I'm going to promote an event. I'm calling it "The Astonaidan La Liga Football Thread Contributions Show." What is this you ask? Well, at some stage today I am going to read back through 52 pages of scintillating La Liga debate, I am going to find each post made by you and I am going to analyse it and at the end of all of that, we can judge just how essential and varied your contribution to this thread truly is

That was considerably shorter than I expected it to be. Astonaidan has contributed 2, count 'em!, 2 whole posts to the La Liga superthread this season! And, in a hilarious twist, both posts revolved around Andersonisgod. Not Celta Vigo, not Atletico Madrid, not Levante, not Malaga, not Rayo Vallecano, no, none of these, it was all about me. For someone so concerned with the quality of the conversation on this thread, and the supposed amount of it taken up by me, you really aren't doing a lot to help the situation. Other Spanish football topics discussed outside of this thread in the last 7 months? A few comments about Messi not being a deserved winner of the Balon D'or and a couple of comments about Gary Neville being appointed Valencia head coach. What's the lesson here? Don't throw stones when you live in a glasshouse.
    Yeah ok, I didnt actually read what you said, because well as always it will be rambling, but Ill give you the gist of what your going to say, it will be along the lines of I know so much more than everyone else, my points are proven beyond belief and anything you say is totally incorrect, Barcelona are the greatest team ever. hmmmm something like that, I never actually mentioned your name my friend you first replied to me. But hey at least you know people dont really comment in here because of well.....................................someone

Yeah ok, I didnt actually read what you said, because well as always it will be rambling, but Ill give you the gist of what your going to say, it will be along the lines of I know so much more than everyone else, my points are proven beyond belief and anything you say is totally incorrect, Barcelona are the greatest team ever. hmmmm something like that, I never actually mentioned your name my friend you first replied to me. But hey at least you know people dont really comment in here because of well.....................................someone

3rd comment in the La Liga thread and it follows the pattern of the previous 2 posts with the topic being Andersonisgod. You know this is actually the Spanish football thread? Like it isn't actually a thread about me.

But this is tedious for me, and for the people who actually enjoy talking about Spanish football, myself included. So lets do that, let's talk a bit of Spanish football. So we'll go to one of the biggest clubs in Spain, with all of the talk that Torres won't stay past this season, and Jackson Martinez not yet firing, what is the answer for a club who so often rely on having a top quality number 9? Should they try harder to keep Torres, is his commercial value worth keeping him around? Could Atletico try something different with Jackson? Maybe it's Vietto or Correa's turn? Is there another striker out there likely to go to Atletico and improve the situation? Will Simeone try to tempt Costa back?

To be fair, you've been ripped apart here.

Hi lads whats your take about Betis after signing Leandro Darmiao? He was hotly touted around the time Neymar went to Barca but I haven't heard of him since. They are also in for Montoya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Hi lads whats your take about Betis after signing Leandro Darmiao? He was hotly touted around the time Neymar went to Barca but I haven't heard of him since. They are also in for Montoya.

Started brightly at Internacional, then faded. He was constantly linked to Spurs for about 2/3 years and was close to agreeing a deal with Napoli before the move fell through.

He has shown himself to be quite lazy in the past, so I can't say for sure if he can rebuild his career or not.

The fact that Diego Tardelli and Ricardo Oliveira have both been called up to the national team for recent Copa games shows two things, 1) just how far he's fallen and 2) how desperate Brazil are for a striker.

If he can pick up any sort of goal scoring form like he showed when he first broke through, then he could easily find himself leading the line for his country again.

*Edit* I now see he was actually called as a standby for a copa squad... I stand corrected. Maybe he hasn't fallen that far :p

3rd comment in the La Liga thread and it follows the pattern of the previous 2 posts with the topic being Andersonisgod. You know this is actually the Spanish football thread? Like it isn't actually a thread about me.

But this is tedious for me, and for the people who actually enjoy talking about Spanish football, myself included. So lets do that, let's talk a bit of Spanish football. So we'll go to one of the biggest clubs in Spain, with all of the talk that Torres won't stay past this season, and Jackson Martinez not yet firing, what is the answer for a club who so often rely on having a top quality number 9? Should they try harder to keep Torres, is his commercial value worth keeping him around? Could Atletico try something different with Jackson? Maybe it's Vietto or Correa's turn? Is there another striker out there likely to go to Atletico and improve the situation? Will Simeone try to tempt Costa back?

Cool, once again though I never mentioned you once, I was talking about Real/Barca being mentioned all the time hence why I stayed out of this thread previously, first post I see coming back here after maybe a year out was Zidane fails first big test, scrolled back a few pages see people ejaculating over Real destroying Depor, then next page over Barca killing Bilbao, you must have noticed this pattern and well yawn, you were the one who presumed I was talking about you
    No Torres time is done, its a bit sad since but it is, Ive never been as big a fan of Jackson, but I am of Correa follow football in Argentina a bit, the wife is Argentine and her father raves about him aswell, the obvious problem for him is well can you really throw him into the firing line after his problem, I wouldnt be surprised for Vietto to go out on loan tbh but he starting to get more game time so maybe is now the time for him to start. If it was me, it would be Vietto or Correa not Jackson or getting a new guy in, they must have already spent close to 60mill on the 3 they have

• Advertisement

I usually talk about real betis or sevilla, we're not all Barcelona fans! But Madrid are the devils haha, much prefer atlético to the big two

Haha I know, Im a Mallorca guy :(, its been a sad time for old Aidan, watching the old secunda really isnt as exciting as you might think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Neymar was incredible tonight. Best player in the world imo.

Haha I know, Im a Mallorca guy :(, its been a sad time for old Aidan, watching the old secunda really isnt as exciting as you might think.

Nash the ex basketballer has bought them out? Jesus man just had a look at the table there, they are in danger of going down:eek:

MD1990 wrote: »
    Neymar was incredible tonight. Best player in the world imo.

Yeah hes some player to watch, I kinda felt for him today, he seemed to get smashed everytime he has the ball the poor fecker

Nash the ex basketballer has bought them out? Jesus man just had a look at the table there, they are in danger of going down:eek:

Yeah I know its a little bit sad, makes me sad thinking back to the days of Arango and Eto :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Atleti conceded 3 v celta last night and have been dumped out of the copa del rey. Been a long while since that happened and Pablo Hernandez previously of Swansea got two for them, celta are ticking along nicely these days I wonder can they keep hold of nolito?

• Advertisement

He is apparently Barca bound. The only way he doesn't go somewhere else in this window is if Barca have told him they'll sign him in the summer IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Yeah I know its a little bit sad, makes me sad thinking back to the days of Arango and Eto :(

And their bi-annual 'mugging off of the galacticos' anomalous performances.

Luis Suarez's goal for Barcelona on Wednesday night saw him become the first player across the top five leagues in Europe to reach 30 goals in all competitions.

The Uruguay international, who scored 23 times last season, now stands on 30 goals from 24 appearances, while his teammates Lionel Messi and Neymar have 20 and 21 respectively.

Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 27 times in as many games, meaning he trails Suarez by three at this stage of the season.

Also in Spain, Athletic Bilbao's Aritz Aduriz has scored on 25 occasions to help the club to eighth in La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

kfallon wrote: »
    No doubt there will be an appeal, they'll get a window or two to get their squads in order and then sit back and take their punishment, just like Barcelona :rolleyes:

Surprise, surprise :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/sidlowe/status/693142847189585920

Joke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Just the same thing that happened with Barca, that was suspended too.

Most of these bans are when FIFA have to 'investigate' more. Whatever that means in their world.

• Advertisement

No different to Barcas farcical ban.

You cant sign players outside of windows but your appeals and our leniency means you can sign them during windows.

You cant sign players outside of windows but your appeals and our leniency means you can sign them during windows.

dreamers75 wrote: »

$$$$$$,thats what its all about

Speaking of money ,Real Madrid are set to announce football’s first £1bn kit deal.
    With the headline “The most expensive shirt in the world”, Spanish newspaper Marca says Adidas, who signed a deal with Manchester United in 2014 worth a record £750m over 10 years, are expected to confirm they have signed a new partnership with Real.

The contract, which is believed to be worth £106m a season, would be worth more than Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool’s combined and would see Real regain their position at the top of the most lucrative kit agreements after losing that position to United.

The club only signed a new deal with Adidas in 2012 which was due to run until 2020 but are said to have been negotiating with the German manufacturer for the last few months.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

copa del rey semis

barcelona v valencia
    sevilla v celta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

The Saturday blackout rule is absolutely bloody ridiculous too still be in place in 2016.

Bret Hart wrote: »
    The Saturday blackout rule is absolutely bloody ridiculous too still be in place in 2016.

Wow I didnt realise that Barcelona were playing Atletico today at 3pm.

Its a farce allright and it has only gotten worse in the last few years as La Liga are playing big matches early in the day to cater for the Middle East and Asian markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

1-0 Atleti. Koke.

Neymar playing possum.

Lovely play from atletico.

Biased ref.

• Advertisement
Advertisement