Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Superthread 2016/17

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

eagle eye wrote: »
    Jordan was the best individual player and also a great team player. He won three titles when he hit his prime then retired to try and make a career for himself in baseball. While he was gone for two years the Chicago Bears won nothing but when he returned they won another three titles and he retired again.

There is nobody that was as dominant in a team sport as him. It wasn't just his brilliant individual skills, it was also his team play and leadership.

Again, he is the GOAT of any sport and it's not even close.

You need to change that to he is arguably the GOAT.

You can't be definitive about stuff like this.That's why there is an argument that Messi is up there with any sportsman there is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

TheNap wrote: »
    I agree that Suarez is a genius and will win a Ballon D'or soon . However there is no doubt 2015 was Messi's year by a long long way.

I really dont think Messi should have won it tbh, I think Suarez was the most dominant in 2015, Messi missed a big chunk at the start and rightfully turned down the copa america best player cause he didnt feel he deserved it, Claudio Bravo should have won it,
    the Balon Dor is a popularity contest, Iker Casillas got voted best goalie in the past when he wasnt even getting a game for Madrid

You need to change that to he is arguably the GOAT.

You can't be definitive about stuff like this.That's why there is an argument that Messi is up there with any sportsman there is.

Their is the same argument for Ronaldo to be up their aswell then but that keeps getting overlooked.
    Jordan is considered better than Kobe, LBJ, Bird and Magic, most people in Argentina dont even consider Messi better than Maradonna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

astonaidan wrote: »
    Their is the same argument for Ronaldo to be up their aswell then but that keeps getting overlooked.
    Jordan is considered better than Kobe, LBJ, Bird and Magic, most people in Argentina dont even consider Messi better than Maradonna

Maybe Ronaldo if he didnt suffer the cruciate injuries but we will never know.

TheNap wrote: »
    Maybe Ronaldo if he didnt suffer the cruciate injuries but we will never know.

hhmmm sound

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

You get the feeling Barcelona were settling a score in the last few minutes of that game after the 4-1 defeat. Don't get them annoyed:pac:

But for all the gloss on the scoreline, a injury-hit Celta were very much in the game at 2-1. It was one of the tightest 6-1s you'll see and Wass had a great chance to equalise just before Suarez' second. There'll be no walkover against Arsenal or Gijon even..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

eagle eye wrote: »
    Jordan was the best individual player and also a great team player. He won three titles when he hit his prime then retired to try and make a career for himself in baseball. While he was gone for two years the Chicago Bears won nothing but when he returned they won another three titles and he retired again.

There is nobody that was as dominant in a team sport as him. It wasn't just his brilliant individual skills, it was also his team play and leadership.

Again, he is the GOAT of any sport and it's not even close.

Oh and btw, I'd have Bobby Orr up there with Gretzky.

Bradman is the GOAT. Batting average that noone has ever really come close to. Led one of the greatest cricket teams ever in the "Invincibles" who toured England in 1948.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

The same Ronaldo with more assists than Messi this season?

By 1 assist... having played 6 games more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

I don't see too much wrong with his statement.

Soccer is the world most widely played sport and thus has more competition in it than any other and he's probably one of the top 3 soccer players of all time.

You could certainly make a strong argument for him being the all time greatest sportsman.
    Except the original poster said greatest athlete. There's a difference I think. Messi's skill and movement make him the greatest soccer player in the world, so while there is an argument to be made for him being the greatest sportsman like you say, I don't think he's even the greatest athlete in the Barcelona team. Which is even more of a testament to his greatness as a footballer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Canadel wrote: »
    Except the original poster said greatest athlete. There's a difference I think. Messi's skill and movement make him the greatest soccer player in the world, so while there is an argument to be made for him being the greatest sportsman like you say, I don't think he's even the greatest athlete in the Barcelona team. Which is even more of a testament to his greatness as a footballer.

Athlete. As in sportsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The same Ronaldo with more assists than Messi this season?

Haha mate if you only watch the stats you can manipulate any story. 44% of his goals have come against Espanyol and Malmo. I haven't got the stats for his assists to hand but if I were to hazard an educated guess (based on watching them play most weeks) I'd say the pattern will be the same for his assists. At the end of the day, he's a player who, at times this season, has completed less players than the Barcelona goalkeeper.

ricero wrote: »
    Is it safe to say now that suarez is better than ronaldo ?

It's safe to say that and it's been safe to say it for a while, same goes for Neymar. It's been obvious this season that Ronaldo's standard has slipped, that's what age and a long term knee injury will do to you I guess. You could make a very decent argument that he's no longer the most important forward in his own team even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Haha mate if you only watch the stats you can manipulate any story. 44% of his goals have come against Espanyol and Malmo. I haven't got the stats for his assists to hand but if I were to hazard an educated guess (based on watching them play most weeks) I'd say the pattern will be the same for his assists. At the end of the day, he's a player who, at times this season, has completed less players than the Barcelona goalkeeper.

You can't really question my use of stats whilst using ones of your own that have no higher significance.

The narrative that it physically hurts Ronaldo to pass to a teammate and the Messiah would give his life to assist his teammates is hilarious stuff. At the end of the day if Ronaldo wasn't a little more selfish Real would get nowhere near Barca simply because his teammates are nothing close to Neymar and Suarez.

Athlete. As in sportsman.
    Sportsman as in someone who takes part in sport. Messi is a footballer, and the greatest and most successful player alive no doubt. An athlete to my mind transcends one single sport or speciality in terms of potential performance and success. I'd have Ronaldo higher on a list of greatest athletes than Messi.

You can't really question my use of stats whilst using ones of your own that have no higher significance.

The narrative that it physically hurts Ronaldo to pass to a teammate and the Messiah would give his life to assist his teammates is hilarious stuff. At the end of the day if Ronaldo wasn't a little more selfish Real would get nowhere near Barca simply because his teammates are nothing close to Neymar and Suarez.

Doesn't it? I think it shows that he's far less pivotal to Madrid's general play than he's ever been at any stage of his career at Real Madrid. You can illustrate that with stats, as I did there, or you can watch him each week but there's absolutely no way to come to a different conclusion to the one I've mentioned in this thread; his powers are on the wane.

It isn't. You know it isn't. The amount of footage that has been captured of Ronaldo being envious or annoyed with teammates is so vast I wouldn't be surprised if there's a YouTube playlist for it all, just the other week against Granada, how many times did Ronaldo have a go at his teammates? I remember watching it and thinking this man must hate everybody not named Ronaldo.

That explanation is far too simplistic by the way. You'd swear the way you were talking that he's been playing with Sunday league players the last few years at Real Madrid, right now he's got Benzema, Bale and Rodriguez as his strike partners, I can't think of 3 sides in the world with a more fearsome frontline than that. He's had Ozil, he's had Di Maria, he's had Higuain. Are they Neymar or Suarez? No, but maybe if Ronaldo had the affection for his teammates that Messi does and also the game that allows these players to shine too then maybe their reputations and development would bring them closer to Neymar and Suarez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Sportsman as in someone who takes part in sport. Messi is a footballer, and the greatest and most successful player alive no doubt. An athlete to my mind transcends one single sport or speciality in terms of potential performance and success. I'd have Ronaldo higher on a list of greatest athletes than Messi.

Yeah, good man, but nobody was discussing who would win the most medals on sports day. You took it up wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Last night was just so beautiful to watch and we all love watching stuff like that but just thinking about the level of talent this team has bought in, just like Madrid have done, and it's kinda just sickening that teams can now afford to have three forwards like both those teams have.

Like Arda Turan is sitting on the bench and for me he is top 20 in the world.

The Barca team under Pep was different because most of those players were homegrown. This team for all it does is just a product of being a hugely wealthy club.

Yeah, good man, but nobody was discussing who would win the most medals on sports day. You took it up wrong.
    I don't think I did. My post was in reply to the assertion that Messi is the greatest athlete of all time. Greatest athlete was subsequently changed by a separate poster to greatest sportsman. I've clarified my perceived difference between the two terms and why I think arguments for Messi being the greatest only apply in the context of sportsman. Thanks for listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

If Messi and Suarez did that so Suarez could score a hat-trick, why didn't Suarez just take it in the first place? I don't get that part.

Also, the greatest sportsman debate is a joke, too many variables across the different sports. Messi's the best footballer of his era, let's just enjoy that we're around to see him in the flesh.

Doesn't it? I think it shows that he's far less pivotal to Madrid's general play than he's ever been at any stage of his career at Real Madrid. You can illustrate that with stats, as I did there, or you can watch him each week but there's absolutely no way to come to a different conclusion to the one I've mentioned in this thread; his powers are on the wane.

It isn't. You know it isn't. The amount of footage that has been captured of Ronaldo being envious or annoyed with teammates is so vast I wouldn't be surprised if there's a YouTube playlist for it all, just the other week against Granada, how many times did Ronaldo have a go at his teammates? I remember watching it and thinking this man must hate everybody not named Ronaldo.

That explanation is far too simplistic by the way. You'd swear the way you were talking that he's been playing with Sunday league players the last few years at Real Madrid, right now he's got Benzema, Bale and Rodriguez as his strike partners, I can't think of 3 sides in the world with a more fearsome frontline than that. He's had Ozil, he's had Di Maria, he's had Higuain. Are they Neymar or Suarez? No, but maybe if Ronaldo had the affection for his teammates that Messi does and also the game that allows these players to shine too then maybe their reputations and development would bring them closer to Neymar and Suarez.
    You say that Ronaldo is now less pivotal, you can say the exact same thing about Messi tbh. The team coped fine in his absence, Ronaldo had a poor start to the season Id agree with that but hes turned it around big time and looks as dangerous again.
    Regarding him not being a good team mate, well watch Messi he does the same thing when he doesnt get the ball, hes critisized like crazy for waiting for the ball to come to him in his home country for it.
    I agree with you regarding back up, the poor man Real Madrid only having Bale and Benzema is hilarious, these are players who would be stars at any team in the world

• Advertisement

If Messi and Suarez did that so Suarez could score a hat-trick, why didn't Suarez just take it in the first place? I don't get that part.
    Barca like to put on a show I suppose. They're like the anti-Man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

tigger123 wrote: »
    Why are people saying the penalty was disrespectful? I'm surprised its not against the rules, but can't see that its disrespectful.

Everyone has their opinion on it, but your saying you can't see at all how a penalty like that could be seen as disrespectful? It's basically taking the piss out of the opposition that it's so easy that we can use the wording of the penalty rule to do something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Corholio wrote: »
    Everyone has their opinion on it, but your saying you can't see at all how a penalty like that could be seen as disrespectful? It's basically taking the piss out of the opposition that it's so easy that we can use the wording of the penalty rule to do something like that.

Hardly taking the piss... They tricked the keeper and scored from it. No worse than tapping a free kick to the second free kick taker to trick the wall/other defenders IMO.

People who think it was disrespectful simply don't understand the essence of the players involved or the club. Messi, Suarez and Neymar are great players, and when I say great players I mean genuinely GREAT players. Like any great player, it's about creating moments, moments that stand the test of time, moments that fans in that stadium last night will remember forever and say "I was there when..." it was a beautiful moment. When it happened my jaw hit the floor because, at first, it seemed as though Messi had messed up a Paneka or something, and then all of a sudden Suarez rushes into the camera shot and the ball is in the net. It was incredible. A real, unique moment that brought joy to people.

It was also quite a lovely homage to Johan Cruyff who is battling cancer right now. It was a fantastic gesture from a player who bleeds blaugrana to a man who has shaped this club.

Hardly taking the piss... They tricked the keeper and scored from it. No worse than tapping a free kick to the second free kick taker to trick the wall/other defenders IMO.

How many times have both those things happened in comparison to each other? It's absolutely not the same thing....at all. I don't think any less of Messi or Suarez or anything like that, although I'm a bit surprised Messi would be involved, but it certainly could be taken as taking the piss and I think it's a very fair opinion. The Cryuff thing has been mentioned and to be fair if it was a homage then that I think it's a nice gesture and definitely lessens the effect on the spirit of the game.

astonaidan wrote: »
    You say that Ronaldo is now less pivotal, you can say the exact same thing about Messi tbh. The team coped fine in his absence, Ronaldo had a poor start to the season Id agree with that but hes turned it around big time and looks as dangerous again.
    Regarding him not being a good team mate, well watch Messi he does the same thing when he doesnt get the ball, hes critisized like crazy for waiting for the ball to come to him in his home country for it.
    I agree with you regarding back up, the poor man Real Madrid only having Bale and Benzema is hilarious, these are players who would be stars at any team in the world

The difference is though that while they coped well without him, now he is back and this is still the Messi show. Sure, he is never one to give it the big I AM, and his act of selflessness last night was just another example of that but this remains Messi's team, the supporting cast is unrivaled, but Messi is the jewel in the crown and is the main man.
    I didn't see the Athletic Bilbao game, I heard he was much better in that than in other games against decent opposition. However one good performance (and that's literally all there's been this season against opposition of any real quality) isn't enough to sway my opinion just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

People who think it was disrespectful simply don't understand the essence of the players involved or the club. Messi, Suarez and Neymar are great players, and when I say great players I mean genuinely GREAT players. Like any great player, it's about creating moments, moments that stand the test of time, moments that fans in that stadium last night will remember forever and say "I was there when..." it was a beautiful moment. When it happened my jaw hit the floor because, at first, it seemed as though Messi had messed up a Paneka or something, and then all of a sudden Suarez rushes into the camera shot and the ball is in the net. It was incredible. A real, unique moment that brought joy to people.

It was also quite a lovely homage to Johan Cruyff who is battling cancer right now. It was a fantastic gesture from a player who bleeds blaugrana to a man who has shaped this club.

Give over your "you don't understand football...." spiel regarding whether the penalty was disrespectful or not. If anything, your condenscending responses to anyone with an opinion different to yours in disrespectful.

Give over your "you don't understand football...." spiel regarding whether the penalty was disrespectful or not. If anything, your condenscending responses to anyone with an opinion different to yours in disrespectful.

Ah you've misinterpreted a key difference in my spiel on this occasion. This was not so much a "you don't understand football" spiel, as it usually is, instead I've narrowed it down this time to "you don't understand these players or this club" it's a far more focused, concise argument and I'd stand by that anybody saying it's disrespectful really doesn't know what they are talking about. I do love though that the person arguing against disrespect has been accused of being disrespectful. What a twist!

I'd stand by that anybody saying it's disrespectful really doesn't know what they are talking about.

You really can argue without saying stuff like that in fairness, outside of all differing of opinions I and people have with you and even those who share the same opinions.

You really can argue without saying stuff like that in fairness, outside of all differing of opinions I and people have with you and even those who share the same opinions.

Well give me an opinion on why it's disrespectful.

• Advertisement

Well give me an opinion on why it's disrespectful.

It's not always within the spirit of the game to do something like that, sometimes the unwritten part of the game is more important and of more worth. There's nothing wrong with what they did as such, I don't have a strong opinion on it but I think it's fair to allow the opinion of someone who thinks it was a little disrespectful, and I think someone who has that opinion are free to give it without being accused of not knowing what they are talking about.

It's not always within the spirit of the game to do something like that, sometimes the unwritten part of the game is more important and of more worth. There's nothing wrong with what they did as such, I don't have a strong opinion on it but I think it's fair to allow the opinion of someone who thinks it was a little disrespectful, and I think someone who has that opinion are free to give it without being accused of not knowing what they are talking about.

Ye but your argument there is pretty much "everyone is allowed an opinion....even if it's a bit useless." I mean using that mindset, I could go onto the farming section of Boards and rattle off some mad opinions on that on things which I have utterly no knowledge at all about but they'd have to listen to me because everyone is allowed to given an opinion and not expect to be challenged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Dunphy on the Messi penalty:

“And that kind of bollocks-ology, to use a local colloquialism; there’s no place for it in the arsenal of a great player and Lionel Messi is probably the best player we have ever seen.

“He was way out of order, he should apologise and if he doesn’t, he loses a little in my eyes.”

Ye but your argument there is pretty much "everyone is allowed an opinion....even if it's a bit useless." I mean using that mindset, I could go onto the farming section of Boards and rattle off some mad opinions on that on things which I have utterly no knowledge at all about but they'd have to listen to me because everyone is allowed to given an opinion and not expect to be challenged.

No.

First of all, everyone is allowed an opinion, secondly don't be re or para phrasing what I said. My argument is that it's not really called for in a discussion to be telling people they don't know what they are talking about just because they don't agree with you, I never said their opinion couldn't be challenged. But honestly if you think different then fair enough.

I hope Barca are paying you well for this stuff!

No.

First of all, everyone is allowed an opinion, secondly don't be re or para phrasing what I said. My argument is that it's not really called for in a discussion to be telling people they don't know what they are talking about just because they don't agree with you, I never said their opinion couldn't be challenged. But honestly if you think different then fair enough.

OK I'm going to use an example. What if I said there was a thread on the agricultural Board about the best way to milk a cow, and all the cow farmers were giving suggestions and then I come along and suggest something completely mad because I'm out of my depth and haven't a clue what I'm talking about, should I be humoured? It's not that they don't agree with my method, rather it's clear from my suggestion that I don't have a deep enough knowledge of the topic to be talking to milk farmers about milk farming methods in the first place.

Anyway I don't care, it's ridiculous. It was a great moment, it'll be remembered as such.

I hope Barca are paying you well for this stuff!

I love that club for giving me moments like that one Sunday evening, for giving me and millions others that incredible, euphoric feeling as often as they do. There's no payment required.

OK I'm going to use an example. What if I said there was a thread on the agricultural Board about the best way to milk a cow, and all the cow farmers were giving suggestions and then I come along and suggest something completely mad because I'm out of my depth and haven't a clue what I'm talking about, should I be humoured? It's not that they don't agree with my method, rather it's clear from my suggestion that I don't have a deep enough knowledge of the topic to be talking to milk farmers about milk farming methods in the first place.

Anyway I don't care, it's ridiculous. It was a great moment, it'll be remembered as such.

People come on here to talk about football though and give opinions, you're talking about doing it just to be 'mad' and to use it as a way where farmers will tell you you don't know what you're talking about. People here are football fans and have opinions, it's not the same thing at all and it's very different to be comparable. You can deeply disagree with them but unless they are trolling and posting simply to do that then I don't believe it's right to say, and I haven't seen anyone in this particular argument that is doing that. But hey it can be your opinion that you can tell a disagreeing person they don't know what they are talking about, so swings and roundabouts.

People come on here to talk about football though and give opinions, you're talking about doing it just to be 'mad' and to use it as a way where farmers will tell you you don't know what you're talking about. People here are football fans and have opinions, it's not the same thing at all and it's very different to be comparable. You can deeply disagree with them but unless they are trolling and posting simply to do that then I don't believe it's right to say, and I haven't seen anyone in this particular argument that is doing that. But hey it can be your opinion that you can tell a disagreeing person they don't know what they are talking about, so swings and roundabouts.

I'm not though, I might believe that my method of dairy farming is superior to theirs but I've got nothing to base that on, they've been dairy farming most of their lives, my suggestion is carries no credence. Just like this debate, dairy farming is a focused area of farming, just as Suarez/Messi/Neymar/Barcelona is a focused area of football, it isn't football as a whole. I absolutely accept that there are people out there, maybe even here, with a greater knowledge of specific players or clubs or even leagues (the LOI for example) than I have, equally I do believe that when you say "the penalty was disrespectful" in my mind that sets off alarm bells that that person doesn't truly understand the players involved or the club involved, for reasons previously stated.

• Advertisement

I'm not though, I might believe that my method of dairy farming is superior to theirs but I've got nothing to base that on, they've been dairy farming most of their lives, my suggestion is carries no credence. Just like this debate, dairy farming is a focused area of farming, just as Suarez/Messi/Neymar/Barcelona is a focused area of football, it isn't football as a whole. I absolutely accept that there are people out there, maybe even here, with a greater knowledge of specific players or clubs or even leagues (the LOI for example) than I have, equally I do believe that when you say "the penalty was disrespectful" in my mind that sets off alarm bells that that person doesn't truly understand the players involved or the club involved, for reasons previously stated.

I did say in a previous post that if it was indeed a Cryuff tribute than I don't have much problem with it really, although I don't get the 'doesn't truly understand the players involved' argument. Suarez is hardly a child of the spirit of the game so I don't know how that would apply to not 'understanding' the players involved. There's lots of club and league threads here, there doesn't have to be the whole 'I know more than you' air just because you watch more matches, read more books etc. It's not going to change anything of course, but that's just my opinion. I agree though that any big controversy around it is ridiculous.

I did say in a previous post that if it was indeed a Cryuff tribute than I don't have much problem with it really, although I don't get the 'doesn't truly understand the players involved' argument. Suarez is hardly a child of the spirit of the game so I don't know how that would apply to not 'understanding' the players involved. There's lots of club and league threads here, there doesn't have to be the whole 'I know more than you' air just because you watch more matches, read more books etc. It's not going to change anything of course, but that's just my opinion. I agree though that any big controversy around it is ridiculous.

Brilliant, so we all agree and now I can get to sleep. It's been a pleasure.

As someone said on redcafe about the penalty - "If only United were capable of such disrespect." Pretty much sums it up. Barcelona not only have the best players and play the best football, but they also have a never-ending desire to innovate and improve, to push the boundaries of skill and of the beautiful game. Their appetite for victory and success is complemented by their passion for the game. Barcelona don't just want to win, they want to win with style.

Are you not entertained?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

It might have been disrespectful if they were 6-1 or 7-1 at the time when they did it but it was 3-1 at that stage and if they had missed it would brought Celta back into the game so it was important they scored the penalty.

is it any more disrespectful than doing a panenka which is an unorthodox method of scoring from the penalty spot but no--one has an issue when someone does that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It might have been disrespectful if they were 6-1 or 7-1 at the time when they did it but it was 3-1 at that stage and if they had missed it would brought Celta back into the game so it was important they scored the penalty.

is it any more disrespectful than doing a panenka which is an unorthodox method of scoring from the penalty spot but no--one has an issue when someone does that.

Quite different. With a panenka the keeper will have the same chance of saving it as opposed a normal penalty.

It was mildly disrespectful in that there was no need for it, but beyond that I wouldn't really care all too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think it's a bit unfair to call the pass of the penalty disrespectful.

With what was going on in that last 25 minutes it just fitted in perfectly. It was clearly a salute to Johan Cruyff and it brought him into the minds of all those watching some of the best attacking football ever played which for me is quite fitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'm no fan of Barca but I have to say I love to see players do something out of the ordinary, the peno Sunday night (and some of Neymar's dribbling) was fantastic. I don't find it disrespectful, if you can't enjoy flair players doing what they do best then it's prob best you find another sport to watch.

The last 20-25 minutes were brilliant to watch but I have to say that up to that point Barca were very poor and Celta could well have been (and prob should have been) level at 2-2.

And then the MNS show began.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It's fooking DAIRY, DAIRY, DAIRY.
    It is not cow farming or milk farming, it is not milk farmers.
    It's DAIRY.

Now if I was a condescending twat, I would tell you never ever post about such things because you don't know your ar** from your elbow.
    And I would tell you you have no right to voice your opinion.

But I would hope I am not a condescending know it all and thus think you have a right to your opinion, even if it is misguided or ridiculous.

And I reckon most of the posters in the Farming & Forestry thread wouldn't be that condescending either.
    Shure they would like an auld bit of a laugh to take their minds off the poor price of milk. :D

As for the match, I think it was verging on the disrespectful.
    There is a bit of a line where if you start pulling the mickie out of a team it is being disrespectful.
    Did this cross that line ?
    I don't know.

Actually I have never thought Messi to be one of those in your face showoffs that would go in for rubbing people's noses in it.

Now some of his team mates on the other hand would be a whole different story.

I am not allowed discuss …

Interestingly enough ,Neymar tried the same trick earlier on in the season against Athletic Bilbao near the end of that match and he was almost lynched by the Bilbao team .
    They didnt like his showboating at all .

If he keeps that up some guy will just chop him at the knees ,I have no doubt of that ,its like a red rag to a bull trying that stuff against a team who are losing badly.

I see Real Madrid are up to their usual tricks in relation to making the Bernabeu available for the Copa Del Rey final.
    It took Bruce Springsteen to end the controversy over the Copa del Rey final in Spain.
    The rock star has announced he will be playing at the Santiago Bernabeu on May 21, ruling out Real Madrid's stadium for the Copa final between Barcelona and Sevilla.

Both finalists wanted to play at the venue, the country's biggest neutral ground, but Real Madrid was yet to make it available. The club apparently wanted to avoid the risk of seeing its biggest rival celebrating a title on its ground.

The game is expected to be played at Atletico Madrid's Vicente Calderon Stadium.

The final could be moved to May 22 if Sevilla reaches the final of the Europa League on May 18. The Bernabeu still wouldn't be available in that case.

Interestingly enough ,Neymar tried the same trick earlier on in the season against Athletic Bilbao near the end of that match and he was almost lynched by the Bilbao team .
    They didnt like his showboating at all.
    I remember that, and I remember thinking to myself, no matter how much I am ever losing by in a game of football, please god don't ever let me embarrass myself the way those Bilbao players did that day. Their reaction was perhaps the most pathetic and petty display of sportsmanship I've seen on a football pitch. Players like Neymar are the reason the game progresses. He's the reason kids play the game in the street or at school and try to emulate his skills. He should be applauded every time he tries something like that on a football pitch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement