Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Superthread 2016/17

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

The style originated with Ajax, and when Cruyff got involved in Barca's management he influenced the model in how La Masia brought kids through the ranks. It has nothing to do with Guardiola. We seen the first group of kids brought up under the revamped model break through circa 04-05 and there's been a continuous conveyor belt ever since. Barca will always play in the same fashion regardless of who the manager is (obviously differing slightly under each manager) unless the youth model is changed once more. Barca are all about the system, not the manager. But it takes a great manager to get the best out of the system and Guardiola understood it, he just didn't revolutionise it or modern football, Cruyff did.

100% agree, great manager but the club is who taught these players how to play, Swansea tried doing it on a smaller scale and did well for a while but seem to have stopped bringing lads through playing the style they want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

astonaidan wrote: »
    100% agree, great manager but the club is who taught these players how to play, Swansea tried doing it on a smaller scale and did well for a while but seem to have stopped bringing lads through playing the style they want

Yep, Barca is about the system rather than the manager. But they do need a top manager who understands the style because if it isn't precision football, a backs against the wall job from another top team will normally stop them. So it has to be 10/10 all the time in the latter stages of the Champions League. We seen them regress under Vilanova and Martino when this wasn't the case. We can even see Bayern coming up short every year trying to play tiki-taka football because it just isn't at Barca's level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I know that it starts with the youth but with the first team, Guardiola took them to another level and with a style that was a very extreme version of what they do at La Masia and I feel like it was something new at the time and it took a while for people to respond to it.

I agree with the conveyor belt and the system, I think Barcelona are so well organised that they just need a manager with a bit of sense and they'll be a success (look at Rijkaard's and Luis Enrique's records).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's not about the youth system really. That was just a special time where they had a lot of youths around the same age who broke through and they will always have a couple but the current team is not about their youth system.

Their two goalkeepers, Dani Alves, Javier Mascherano, Rakitic, Neymar, Suarez and Turan did not come through their youth system.

They still have Iniesta, Busquets, Messi and I suppose we should include Sergi Roberto, who has played enough games this season to be included, are the only regular contributors to the first team that came through the academy.

Some people will include Alba because he spent most of his youth career there but he was gone from there for seven years so he isn't really a product of the Barca youth acacemy seeing as he didn't start or finish his youth career there and had to find his way into senior football and then to the Primera Liga on his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

A destruction of real on the cards I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Real Madrid very clearly are not pressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Real Madrid fans (presume it was them anyway; hardly Barca fans) ruining the minute's silence for Cruyff. Pondlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Barcelona dominating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Barca could hammer Real here. Ramos booked despite everyone somehow missing Suarez being a long way offside.

Dunno how that wasn't a penalty!

Good tackle, hankies away for the moment.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Barca could hammer Real here. Ramos booked despite everyone somehow missing Suarez being a long way offside.

Dunno how that wasn't a penalty!

Because it was outside the box

Naughty Suarez, should be red.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Is it just me or has the commentator referred to the stadium as the Bernabeu at least twice?

Because it was outside the box

Well that too, but looked inside on first viewing!

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Naughty Suarez, should be red.

For such a talented player, hes such a total scumbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Ramos pointing to the ball because he touched the ball.

This co commentator is blind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

According to Terry Gibson on commentary Suarez only brushed Pepes chest with his elbow despite it being clear to everyone in the world that he connected with his jaw.

Suarez should really have been sent off.

Wonder how Enrique would get on at a less prestigious club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Could the commentators be any more anti Real Madrid? Don't follow either team but pretty sure Ramos got a touch on the ball (and I don't like Ramos).

Had Celta playing ok and he had a shot managing Roma and now Ive ruined your joke :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Real restricting Barca so far, and making it look easy.

Could change any minute, mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,641 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Dreadful match so far.

Wouldnt surprise me to see it end 0-0

He already has managed less prestigious clubs with mixed results. Did well with Barca B, not so good in his only season with Roma and pretty well in his only season with Celta Vigo.

Christ the commentators still going on about the penalty, the ball was outside the box you idiots :rolleyes:

eagle eye wrote: »
    He already has managed less prestigious clubs with mixed results. Did well with Barca B, not so good in his only season with Roma and pretty well in his only season with Celta Vigo.

Did you just reword everything I say you bastard :pac::pac:

Awful by Benzema!

Headshot wrote: »
    Dreadful match so far.

Wouldnt surprise me to see it end 0-0

Dead rubber really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I'm no fan on Pepe but Suarez gave him a right belt of an elbow,yet the lads on Sky think he didn't connect?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Christ the commentators still going on about the penalty, the ball was outside the box you idiots :rolleyes:

Also, Ramos got the ball.

Dunno are they seeing the same images we are but you'd need to be utterly blind to call that as a penalty.

• Advertisement

Awful by Benzema!

Not like it was a tap in

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

Hasn't been a good half of football. Neither team setting the world on fire.

Not like it was a tap in

I'd still expect a professional player of his ability to do better than he did

I'd still expect a professional player of his ability to do better than he did

Id say Suarez was a easy chance and should be criticzized , Benzemas was difficult, would have been a great finish but no shame mi****ting it imo

Id say Suarez was a easy chance and should be criticzized , Benzemas was difficult, would have been a great finish but no shame mi****ting it imo

Suarez one was abysmal, didn't see it in real time. Benzema had time for a touch, it was still awful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Both teams playing like they have more important fixtures coming. They probably should have just played their reserves as this is a dead rubber fixture in context of the league title anyway.

• Advertisement

Ramos should be gone, and Dani Alves showing the world hes just scum as always, christ if you were in that much pain youd be hardly moving

He absolutely buried that.

Powerful header, deserved lead really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Yes! Yes! Goal! How sweet it is! Pique, who the Madrid press have hounded all season, buries the header. Ithe could not be any sweeter. 1-0

Messi, Suarez, Neymar, Ronaldo, Benzema and Bale all on the field. Who would have guessed at Pique scoring a goal?

• Advertisement

I'm astonished you didn't go with Palmer's "King of Catalunya" hyperbole. :P

Turtwig wrote: »
    I'm astonished you didn't go with Palmer's "King of Catalunya" hyperbole. :P

Rob Palmer belongs in Fraggle Rock.

Lovely finish by Benzema

Lovely finish, much better game this half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

A goal from the gods from Benzema. Real Madrid once again provide us with the gift of the beautiful game, only Real Madrid can play like this.

Rob Palmer belongs in Fraggle Rock.

If Palmer belongs there, where does Ray Hudson? I'm watching Sky anyone watching Ray?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Poor enough game really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Terrible decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's an appalling decision. Bale is in the air when the defender makes contact with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Blatant favourtism for Barcelona from the ref'linesman there. Not a thing wrong with Bale's goal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement