Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Superthread 2016/17

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,313 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

One of the worst Clasico's I've seen in years. The first half in particular was painful to watch. It was all a bit of an anticlimax.

The referee had a shocker, bottled a dozen different decisions.

In the end, Madrid deserved the win. In the second half they stepped up and earned the three points.

I don't think Barca care, they've their eyes set on other places and Madrid will probably lose in a few weeks time to Levante or the likes and the win will have been for nothing. Zidane did show that he has a clue about what he's doing, though.

Good synopsis HalloweenJack

It was a strange match ,lacking in urgency,quality and needle apart from Ramos who should have been sent off in the first half,for his gurrier antics.

I'm sure Barcelona had one eye on the Champions league match with Atletico Madrid .
    They will be confident of winning the league and are in the Copa Del Rey final,last nights match wont have been a priority in the larger scheme of things.

Messi wasn't trying a leg last night ,he looked lethargic and disinterested .

Real were solid and kept their shape well ,Casemiro did a good shielding job something Real usually lack in the big matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

3. I lol'ed pretty hard at the bit in the thread where someone brought up the Gerd Muller comparison and was attempting to rubbish that because Ronaldo doesn't only score goals. This was after Ronaldo's only real contribution to the game; a goal. Somebody didn't quite understand that argument.

In their blind ignorance, they'll just never understand. Like talking to a wall most of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

In their blind ignorance, they'll just never understand. Like talking to a wall most of the time

The irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Hahaha I did say he would come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Could be a very interesting weekend in La Liga if it ends in Sociedad the way it is currently.

Shame Barca don't have to play Athletico or Real again in the league!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Barcelona struggling with Sociedad shape. They look like they have no idea and could get hit easily on the counter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

If it stays like this it will make the title race really interesting. Barcelona have been flat lately, for all their dominance throughout the season they may over have a 3 point lead going into the business end of the season. Massive 45 mins for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Looks like it finished Real Sociedad 1 Barcelona 0. Huge result

Pique giving the ref hell at the end

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Beaten 1-0! Verrry interesting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Barcelona's complaining to the ref at the end there is quite sad.

It's amazing how teams just have bogey grounds. Madness.

• Advertisement

They hadnt a clue how to cope with the defence pattern of Sociedad. Atletico have a great chance of turning them over in the CL. Barcelona look truly rocked by losing to Madrid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

I'd be very surprised if barca manage to do another league, champs league double, they don't have much beyond their first eleven, fair play to them if they manage it again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

League not over yet?

GreNoLi wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if barca manage to do another league, champs league double, they don't have much beyond their first eleven, fair play to them if they manage it again though.

They havent got the young players coming through right now that can make a difference, it used to be how they padded the squad. If the keep both their crowns it would be super impressive, but like you I see them slipping up in one

That's not a result I expected to see at all. Will give Atletico hope ahead of Wednesday but I can see Barca being able to make good on the lifeline given to them by the referee last week unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

That griezman goal ... Phwoah...without slagging anyone, it was truly a goal from the gods.

How come AIG is never around when barca don't win or hand out a beating?

Must have been clubbing again last night, and recovering today.

NIMAN wrote: »

Maybe he scored when MSN couldnt :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

NIMAN wrote: »

What difference does it make? He or anyone else has no obligation to post if they don't want to. It's this constant nagging and borderline bullying of other users that gets on my t*ts. It's beyond immature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    What difference does it make? He or anyone else has no obligation to post if they don't want to. It's this constant nagging and borderline bullying of other users that gets on my t*ts. It's beyond immature.

Slagging an anonymous username on an internet forum is not bullying.It just isn't in any way shape or form.

• Advertisement

Slagging an anonymous username on an internet forum is not bullying.It just isn't in any way shape or form.

In this pc world it is

Andre 3000 wrote: »

Catch yourself on, would you?

Bullying? I'm having a laugh on what is usually a light hearted forum, I'd hope AIG could see the humour in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,313 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

SlickRic wrote: »
    Barcelona's complaining to the ref at the end there is quite sad.

It's amazing how teams just have bogey grounds. Madness.

Barcelona's record in recent years at Sociedad is reminiscent of Real Madrid at the Riazor in the last decade.
    Barcelona havent won at the Anoeta since 2007.

It was a strange decision by Enrique to rest players at a bogey ground even with the Champions league semi final coming up.
    He rested players there last season too ,the match coming after the winter break.
    They lost one nil and it was the turning point for the season as there was talk of mutiny in the dressing room after the match .
    Indeed Enrique was supposed to be close to being sacked after that match but he turned things around.

The team looked tired last night and out of ideas,I think I read somewhere that they have played a match on average every three days since October.

Messi has been a passenger in the last 4 matches ,his form is like that of 2014 when he was well off the pace .

On a lighter note,Pique and Arbeloa renewed their rivalry on Twitter this weekend.
    2 grown men acting like kids.
    Hardly a brain cell between them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

If it stays like this it will make the title race really interesting. Barcelona have been flat lately, for all their dominance throughout the season they may over have a 3 point lead going into the business end of the season. Massive 45 mins for them.

They have had this very tough run of games:

Arsenal (h)
    Villarreal (a)
    Real Madrid (h)
    Atletico Madrid (h)
    Real Sociedad (a)
    Atletico Madrid (a)

And still need to drop points twice to lose top spot. But it's incredible to think that Busquets, for example, despite all he has won, still hasn't won at the Anoeta or anyone from the Guardiola era onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Cristiano Ronaldo became the first player to score 30 goals in six successive La Liga seasons

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35956684

Unbelievable consistency from Ronaldo. Some amount of records getting broken by Ronaldo and Messi year after year.

Have to say the physical intensity is not the same in Spain, if he'd stayed in England he'd have suffered a lot more wear and tear. Look at Rooney, younger but a physical wreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Have to say the physical intensity is not the same in Spain, if he'd stayed in England he'd have suffered a lot more wear and tear. Look at Rooney, younger but a physical wreck.

I think that's simply down to Rooney not being half the athlete that Ronaldo is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

PSG and wolfsburg to go through on penos.

I think that's simply down to Rooney not being half the athlete that Ronaldo is.

Plus his professionalism is miles better than Rooneys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Ronaldo hiding once again when his team needed him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Unearthly wrote: »

He never could quite rise to the occasion.

Unearthly wrote: »
    yeah against mighty wolfsburg :rolleyes:

If you're so biased and blinkered that you can't give one of the living legends of this sport credit where it's due, then that is on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

You leave the 8th placed team in the Bundesliga alone.

Not denying he's an impressive goalscorer, just that his reputation is inflated by filling his boots against pub teams.

And the above posts implying Rooney is less professional are a joke, Rooney has consistently run himself into the ground in a far more demanding environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

"All these teams that I haven't watched play a game all season are crap because they're not in the EPL".

Ronaldo is pure class. Idiots arguing against his unbelievably impressive stats, even this season are kidding themselves.

Gotta love idiots belittling Ronaldo single handed bringing his team down from 2 goals in a CL quarter final. If it was Messi who did it, theyd be jizzing themselfs over how magical he is. Idiots of the highest order

Not denying he's an impressive goalscorer, just that his reputation is inflated by filling his boots against pub teams.

And the above posts implying Rooney is less professional are a joke, Rooney has consistently run himself into the ground in a far more demanding environment.

Dear God you havent a clue have you

astonaidan wrote: »
    Gotta love idiots belittling Ronaldo single handed bringing his team down from 2 goals in a CL quarter final. If it was Messi who did it, theyd be jizzing themselfs over how magical he is. Idiots of the highest order
    Are you 13 years old? Did Ronaldo do the defending, goalkeeping, crossing single-handed?

Imbecile fanboy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

You leave the 8th placed team in the Bundesliga alone.

Hmmm. I wonder what vitriol you spilled when Messi scored five vs Leverkusen that year. In a 7-1 aggregate win, when there was no suggestion that Barca were in trouble in the tie.

Credit when it's due. Ronaldo scored a vital hat-trick tonight to win them through to the semis. Bias should be cast aside for once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It'd be a quiet forum if there was no bias.

Hmmm. I wonder what vitriol you spilled when Messi scored five vs Leverkusen that year. In a 7-1 aggregate win, when there was no suggestion that Barca were in trouble in the tie.

Credit when it's due. Ronaldo scored a vital hat-trick tonight to win them through to the semis. Bias should be cast aside for once.

Can't remember where I talked down his achievement. I stated a simple fact, 1 sentence, no more than a few words. Are Wolfsburg, as we speak, the 8th placed team in the Bundesliga? I believe so. So what's the problem? Are you trying to argue that they aren't? Because unless your argument is that Wolfsburg are not the 8th placed team in the Bundesliga (they are) then I don't see any other reason that you should be replying to my comment, particularly with such venom. How about you save your spiel for somebody having a go at Ronaldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Barcelona purposefully dumping points to give the fans a better celebration when they win the league.

well done
    well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Can't remember where I talked down his achievement. I stated a simple fact, 1 sentence, no more than a few words. Are Wolfsburg, as we speak, the 8th placed team in the Bundesliga? I believe so. So what's the problem? Are you trying to argue that they aren't? Because unless your argument is that Wolfsburg are not the 8th placed team in the Bundesliga (they are) then I don't see any other reason that you should be replying to my comment, particularly with such venom. How about you save your spiel for somebody having a go at Ronaldo.

I think you are being singled out for such "venom" because- while being completely factually accurate in stating Wolfsburg's position in The Bundesliga - I would read from that earlier 1 sentence that you're implying that scoring three against Wolfsburg is not quite up there at Herculean task level: because, as we know, they are eighth in the Bundesliga.

Or are you reminding us solely for the purpose of keeping us up to date in the standings in The Bundesliga? Is that it, you mean nothing else by that at all? There is no element of dismissiveness in what you say?

Are you 13 years old? Did Ronaldo do the defending, goalkeeping, crossing single-handed?

Imbecile fanboy.

Once again, Dear God you havent a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

The United coaches said Rooney did the training required of him. No more no less. They said Ronaldo wss a freak, always asking for more.
    You can't question Rooney's commitment on the pitch, but would you ever see Ronaldo coming into a new season looking out of shape?

Arghus wrote: »
    I think you are being singled out for such "venom" because- while being completely factually accurate in stating Wolfsburg's position in The Bundesliga - I would read from that earlier 1 sentence that you're implying that scoring three against Wolfsburg is not quite up there at Herculean task level: because, as we know, they are eighth in the Bundesliga.

Or are you reminding us solely for the purpose of keeping us up to date in the standings in The Bundesliga? Is that it, you mean nothing else by that at all? There is no element of dismissiveness in what you say?

I'm simply giving a little timely reminder to that poster who was so quick to dismiss Wolfsburg that they are 8th in the Bundesliga. An impressive 5 points above Hamburg, level on points with Ingolstadt and only 6 points behind Mainz...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

I'm simply giving a little timely reminder to that poster who was so quick to dismiss Wolfsburg that they are 8th in the Bundesliga. An impressive 5 points above Hamburg, level on points with Ingolstadt and only 6 points behind Mainz...

Ingolstadt who are in 9th position in the Bundesliga. The same position as Real Sociedad occupy in La Liga. That is the mighty Sociedad who defeated Barcelona last weekend.

Am I doing it right?

Ingolstadt who are in 9th position in the Bundesliga. The same position as Real Sociedad occupy in La Liga. That is the mighty Sociedad who defeated Barcelona last weekend.

Am I doing it right?

Yes you are.

The Barcelona who are top of La Liga, Champions League quarter finalists, are in the final of the Copa Del Rey and who are the current, reigning and defending champions of Spain, of the King's Cup, of Europe and of the world. Hmmm...this is fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ronaldo isn't as exciting to watch as he used to be. But his instincts & hunger for goals is incredible. Messi now needs to step up tonight for Barca. I suspect he will though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement