Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Superthread 2016/17

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

zuutroy wrote: »
    Why no Messi? Missed the buildup

presumably because he wasn't in training with the birth of his second son.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Interesting half, Barcelona are playing some excellent stuff out from the back against the Atletico press, Atleti changed late in the half, pushing Griezmann out wide to make it tougher for Barcelona to go through midfield. Some of Barcelona's play has been enchanting, and they probably should be ahead, Suarez missed a good chance and Lahoz has ignored two handballs which would have been penalties. Encouraging, maybe 1 Messi away from victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's somehow been bypassed today but Ronaldo scoring 5 against Espanyol earlier means he's Real's all time La Liga scorer.

229 goals in 203 matches. Raul needed 550 matches to reach 228. Phenomenal.

Corholio wrote: »
    229 goals in 203 matches. Raul needed 550 matches to reach 228. Phenomenal.

I'm never sure about that Raul statistic. Are they counting the several seasons towards the end of his stay at Madrid where he was played out at right or left wing..he dropped from getting 30 goals a season to barely 10 in 04-07.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

dfx- wrote: »
    I'm never sure about that Raul statistic. Are they counting the several seasons towards the end of his stay at Madrid where he was played out at right or left wing..he dropped from getting 30 goals a season to barely 10 in 04-07.

Why wouldn't appearances anywhere be counted? Ronaldo has played more on the wing than up front in his Real career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

What's with the kit clash here?
    Why weren't Barcelona made play in their away kit? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Great freekick by Neymar and its 1-1 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Great to see Torres score but nice reply there by Neymar. Good 2nd half so far, surely Messi will be on soon

Goal! The boy genius, the man who would be king steps up when it matters. In the sweltering heat of the Vicente Calderon Neymar is the ice man, whilst all around him melt, Neymar stays cool.

Messi on now, fancy Barca to get the win.

• Advertisement

Handball off the line, no penalty. Were you expecting anything else?

Goal! Brilliant! It's Messi, it can only be Messi and he enjoyed that. The greatest of all time does it again when it counts, in the biggest of games. He's been superb since he came on, absolutely decisive.

Corholio wrote: »
    Why wouldn't appearances anywhere be counted? Ronaldo has played more on the wing than up front in his Real career.

yeah they should be counted, but Raul may have played quite a few of those games 'out of position' so to speak, racking up games with no goals. An older Raul on the wing is a lot different to Ronaldo on the wing..

What a touch from Suarez:eek:

He's been great since he came on, deserve to be ahead. Atletico looked like they were happy with a draw

All I can say is wow. Our squad depth really isn't great, mostly due to the transfer ban, we went to the Vicente Calderon to play a genuinely brilliant Atletico team without our first choice keeper, right back, centre back and with the greatest footballer ever on the bench, went a goal behind in the second half and still won the game. Remarkable, absolutely remarkable. Massive credit to this squad and to Luis Enrique, a Barcelona masterclass is dished out every week from this group it seems.

Also if you could give a MOTM award for a 30 minute cameo then it'd be for that Messi performance. There's no words to describe him.
    Every player for Barcelona were excellent. What a performance from this unique team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Thought Atletico were very poor tonight. Looks the new players will need time to settle.

Just to add to this. Messi seems to have been given MOTM by some of the stats sites. Think about that for a moment, he was on the pitch 31 minutes. The man is beyond belief. He stands above all others.

Enrique deserves massive credit tonight too. Given the circumstances he had to work with tonight, it's an incredible result, his methods have the squad in tremendous shape in every sense. He's proven himself to be the rightful successor to Guardiola and Tito. He has brought back the beauty and joy of following Barcelona, because only Barcelona can reach such heights, there is Barcelona and then there is everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

We went to the Vicente Calderon to play a genuinely brilliant Atletico team

That's overdoing it a bit. Are they really that brilliant anymore?

they had just won 0-3 at a decent Sevilla side

elefant wrote: »
    That's overdoing it a bit. Are they really that brilliant anymore?

More than brilliant, I fear I've done them a grave disservice with that description. If last season they were rather limited in how they could attack, this season their squad is full of variety and quality. All of that under the leadership of the magnificent Diego Simeone and I would fancy this Atletico side against most teams in Europe.

• Advertisement

It's becoming a weekly thing where I eulogies about Atletico Madrid but I'm back again. They've got such quality in depth but also such an incredibly talented young squad at their disposal it's genuinely remarkable.
    In particular Oliver Torres, he's come on here tonight and he's run the show since arriving onto the pitch, he has that rarest of skill; the ability to enter Iniesta ghost mode. He's a sublime talent, it's only a matter of time until the Spanish national team is playing to the beat of his tune.

Enrique has made lots of changes tonight. A rare chance to see Messi in the midfield 3 too!

Ter Stegen pinging it to Munir like he's Xavi, great ability with the ball at his feet.

Goal! Messi's mind works in different ways to the rest of us, the speed of thought to lob it over the defender and the brilliance of the technique to pick out Barta is amazing. Bartra's control is excellent, his finish got the job done. 1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Goal! Messi's mind works in different ways to the rest of us, the speed of thought to lob it over the defender and the brilliance of the technique to pick out Barta is amazing. Bartra's control is excellent, his finish got the job done. 1-0

I'm surprised it's not 4 or 5 nil. Some of messis passing is unreal.

2-0, its Neymar! The style has very much been turned on. Both goalscorers dedicated their goal to Barcelona's other brilliant Brazilian, Rafinha Alcantara.

jamesbere wrote: »
    I'm surprised it's not 4 or 5 nil. Some of messis passing is unreal.

It's incredible, sometimes I fear it goes a bit underappreciated.

Penalty! Goal! Messi makes it 3-0, the goalscoring returns to the Camp Nou.

Rafinha's name rings out around the Camp Nou, what a shame he's going to miss so much football this season. This was looking like it was going to be his breakthrough season, he'll have to wait a bit longer to take his place in the heart of the Barcelona midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Penalty! Goal! Messi makes it 3-0, the goalscoring returns to the Camp Nou.

Why did he not start last weekend. Was he short of fitness? Or just tactical?

symbolic wrote: »
    Why did he not start last weekend. Was he short of fitness? Or just tactical?

A kind of maternity leave, his child was born the day before so he was rested. It only required 30 minutes of Messi anyway.

Penalties however aren't his strong point, that's an area Ronaldo has the edge though he does get more practice (I couldn't resist)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If only messi could take penalties.

Who needs penalties when you can do that? Messi runs, he jinks, seemingly a thousand little feints with every stride and then, while all around him are confused, Messi slides the ball into the goal. Genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Another great goal from Messi. The more defenders the better it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I can't believe Barca got two penalties and so many favourable offside decisions today seeing as how the referees in Spain are so against them....

• Advertisement

elefant wrote: »
    I can't believe Barca got two penalties and so many favourable offside decisions today seeing as how the referees in Spain are so against them....

Two stonewall penalties that probably should have been 3 stonewall penalties and 2 poor offside decisions in Barcelona's favor, but I suppose we won't mention Real Madrid getting a favorable offside decision for their goal the other day against Granada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I wonder does Rodgers fancy a job at Real Sociedad? He can speak Spanish.

I was watching a different game, Messi had a poor game all round. Neymar not great, Rakitic anonymous. Busquets sub made a difference. Huge impact of no Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Douglas makes it back into the Barca match day squad! Has he improved or is this a sign of how stretched their squad is at the moment? :o

Celta vs Barca is a cracking game so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

What a great finish from Aspas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Feck me, Celta are brilliant. Absolutely superb performance in the first 30 mins.

Celta look like they will go top of the table. Very good side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

That has been coming for Barcelona for a while now.
    They havent looked very good at all this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Celts have been so impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Should have been 4 there. Barca all over the shop

Should have been 4 there. Barca all over the shop

They have looked poor at the back all season.
    Bravo is a big loss though ,Ter Stegen is a much inferior keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

I was so happy when I saw the Barcelona score as I knew I could read this thread in peace without any verbal diarrhoea

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You may have spoken too soon ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

And that should be that.

Munir should have scored just before then. So clinical by celta

• Advertisement
Advertisement