Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Superthread 2016/17

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Turtwig wrote: »
    That was fascinating! Pity Sevilla couldn't do it but they couldn't really threaten either. Solid defending by Barca. Referee been too card happy imo that said he got the key red card calls correct.

He has given a lot of cards so far. But I agree with most of them. I blame the players. Sure I think two of the cards were for mouthing. So silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Blatter wrote: »
    Even taking those events into account, I would still expect Barca to be the better team and more likely to win given the gap in quality between the two teams.

10 v 10 now, very interesting.
    Rarely works that way for any team with 10 men against a team as good as Sevilla. Not to mention Barca as a unit haven't been as effective for some time now. It has largely been 2 or 3 players taking the reigns to get the job done and obviously this is much harder against an extra man. Barca saw it out and now are obvious favourites against 10 men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Referee's been fine. I don't understand the hate for him at all. Nailed every big decision tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

SlickRic wrote: »
    Referee's been fine. I don't understand the hate for him at all. Nailed every big decision tbh.

Big decisions grand but it's a game over 90 minutes and over 90 he's been poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I agree, I think he's done a good job tonight apart from one advantage.

Big decisions grand but it's a game over 90 minutes and over 90 he's been poor.

Disagree. The only thing is he could've produced a few cards earlier. Hardly makes his performance poor.

Plus, when you have players acting the fool it gets a bit much. For instance, that brief mêlée over Iborra's challenge on Ter Stegen was ridiculous.

Disagree. The only thing is he could've produced a few cards earlier. Hardly makes his performance poor.

Plus, when you have players acting the fool it gets a bit much. For instance, that brief mêlée over Iborra's challenge on Ter Stegen was ridiculous.

Far too lenient on tactical fouling in the build uprocess phase and the amount fouls on Messi not punished by a card was ridiculous.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Iniesta carrying the ball has made a huge impact in the last twenty minutes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

He's lost control of the game. Handing out 7 yellows in 17 minutes will do that and now there will be more melees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Cracking goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

What a pass Messi

Absolute genius from Messi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

What a ball

Balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Enrique doing his best Robbie keane impression......constantly waving his arms about

Lol! But Can he manage to run backwards when attempting to run forward?

• Advertisement

Great goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

I think I'll bow out of this thread now. I feel verbal diarrhea is en route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

CSF wrote: »
    Rarely works that way for any team with 10 men against a team as good as Sevilla.

I've seen it happen a few times with elite teams. The last time being City v Bayern at the Etihad last season. Bayern went down to 10 men very early on but went on to utterly dominate and be the better side. Two brainfarts near the end cost them though.

Anyway, 1-0 Alba. Great pass, good finish but poor goalkeeping. Didn't cover the angles properly.

Yes! Yes! Barça! Barça! Barça! It's Messi! He's glorious, he finds Alba and his finish slides into the net. Unbelievable!

dfx- wrote: »
    He's lost control of the game. Handing out 7 yellows in 17 minutes will do that and now there will be more melees.

No he hasnt, the players are tired and getting narky, and making silly decisions. Blame them, not the ref.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Great goal, i hate that rat though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Lol, because you're forced to read it...

Just skip past, like everyone else does.

I've seen it happen a few times with elite teams. The last time being City v Bayern at the Etihad last season. Bayern went down to 10 men very early on but went on to utterly dominate and be the better side. Two brainfarts near the end cost them though.
    Not to be pedantic, but the result alone makes this a poor example.

How come you cant slag premier league players like this? But any other league, carry on

Two cracking saves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

enzo roco wrote: »
    How come you cant slag premier league players like this? But any other league, carry on

It's only players for one or two teams you can't say it about.

Dominant half from Barca there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Could never find the appropriate word for Alba. You nailed it!
    Pity he is such a smashing player....Makes it harder to hate him! or does it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Spain's riches in goalkeepers is ridiculous.

enzo roco wrote: »

Sterling, ashley young

• Advertisement

Very selfish from Neymar, they could have killed the game there.

Not to be pedantic, but the result alone makes this a poor example.

I don't think it does as I don't believe the end result always dictates whether a decision was good or bad or whether a strategy was advantageous or not.

I don't think it does as I don't believe the end result always dictates whether a decision was good or bad or whether a strategy was advantageous or not.
    It doesn't alone, but with the absence of many other examples of teams trying to dominate with 10 men against other good teams, it doesn't ring true as a great example.

Ref is crocked.

Karma taking down the ref.

Iniesta has been in ghost mode all game, he's been otherworldly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Won the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Brilliant. Great win under the circumstances they had found themselves in

Rico, Llorente and Coke the only Sevilla players left not on a yellow. Carrico was one, but the ref had to ruin that and give him 2 at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Nice of messi to get a player booked / sent off, totally out of character of Barcelona players to do that though...

JIdontknow wrote: »
    Nice of messi to get a player booked / sent off, totally out of character of Barcelona players to do that though...

Don't see how you came to that conclusion. Ref got it wrong.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Won the ball

He went over the ball. But his stupids words got him sent off

Fair play barca, that last goal was lovely.

Barca well deserving winners, annoying to see Neymar score though, detestable player.

Pique man of the match, Messi close behind with two lovely assists.

Glico Man wrote: »
    Rico, Llorente and Coke the only Sevilla players left not on a yellow. Carrico was one, but the ref had to ruin that and give him 2 at the same time.

The players were a disgrace after an hour, on both sides. Most of the cards were correct. Ya cant blame the ref.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sevilla didn't take advantage of their numerical superiority. Very impressive win by Barca all things considered.

Goal! Goal Barcelona! In the 21st century there is only one club and it is Barcelona. Their first attack against 9 men and bang, goal! Messi is peerless, his hesitation, his timing, his pass are utter perfection. It's all over! Champions of Spain, champions of the Kings Cup! It's a double for this group of players, another trophy for Enrique. This easy hard earned, this was a test of character but this squad of players have character in spades, this have resolve and heart and they have unmatched skill, they are the best damn team in the world and we are the defining club of this century. Visca el Barça! Visca Catalunya!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Did he get the 1st yellow for the tackle and then the 2nd for decent?

If thats the case then thats a joke..... Barca always do it, surrounding the ref, running after the ref (there not the only team that does it) heck dani alves laughs in the refs face all the time and nothing happens.

Barca deserve the win, disapointed with Sevilla tonight, maybe they were just out of juice after the Europa game.

It doesn't alone, but with the absence of many other examples of teams trying to dominate with 10 men against other good teams, it doesn't ring true as a great example.

I would say it's actually a good example, as the situation doesn't occur very often at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Don't see how you came to that conclusion. Ref got it wrong.

Messi's reaction of rolling about 10 times didn't help. I'm probably just bitter because of the likes of Neymar, Alba etc..

Actually thought the ref had a reasonably good game with exception to that last decision.

• Advertisement
Advertisement