Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Superthread 2016/17

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Blatter wrote: »
    Suarez just probably won't get the votes required. For the last Balon d'Or, I really expected Neymar to be close to Ronaldo in 2nd place as he had a phenomenal year but Ronaldo absolutely steamrolled him (27% of votes to Neymar's 8% - Messi had 41%). The Messi/Ronaldo media attention and the fact that they're two authentic greats of the game still playing at a very high level has a huge influence.

To add to that, Ronaldo is participating in a CL final on Saturday and has the Euros to impress in (and a relatively easy group for Portugal). It's quite easy to see why he's a favorite ahead of Suarez.

Suarez has the Copa America to impress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Suarez has the Copa America to impress.

The Copa isn't as high profile and it looks like he's gonna miss the group stage games through that injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Blatter wrote: »
    The Copa isn't as high profile and it looks like he's gonna miss the group stage games through that injury.

Doesn't even matter.

Suarez outclassed ronaldo in every aspect this year so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Doesn't even matter.

You asked the question as to why Ronaldo is favorite ahead of Suarez, I gave an answer. It doesn't really matter that you think he's outclassed him so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Doesn't even matter.

I dont agree with that, lets see Ronaldo has been far better in the CL but hey lets just ignore massive parts just to show youre right :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Whose the better player Saul Niguez or Angre Gomes

Whose the better player Saul Niguez or Angre Gomes

Anyone care to comment, I'm asking because they are both being linked with United

Anyone care to comment, I'm asking because they are both being linked with United

You wont be getting Saul anyways, Atletico wont let him go for less than his buy out fee. Gomes more gettable but presume hes just getting linked due to Portugese factor

astonaidan wrote: »
    You wont be getting Saul anyways, Atletico wont let him go for less than his buy out fee. Gomes more gettable but presume hes just getting linked due to Portugese factor

that doesnt answer the question I asked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

When Barca gave villa to Atletico they reportedly had a first choice clause on Saul should Atletico decide to sell him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Turtwig wrote: »
    When Barca gave villa to Atletico they reportedly had a first choice clause on Saul should Atletico decide to sell him.

Not reportedly. Definitely.

that doesnt answer the question I asked

Saul is better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

I reckon they'd cost near enough the same to be honest,

I'd rather Saul myself,

Juan8 wrote: »
    I reckon they'd cost near enough the same to be honest,

I'd rather Saul myself,

You think Id have saul at least 10m more expensive

You think Id have saul at least 10m more expensive

Saul has a buy out of £54m I've read, I've also read Valencia want about £51m for Gomes, who they only fully bought permanently for big bucks last summer, like I said near enough the same price

Saul has a buy out of £54m I've read, I've also read Valencia want about £51m for Gomes, who they only fully bought permanently for big bucks last summer, like I said near enough the same price

Hmm maybe, I had Gomes going in and abouts 30 twice the amount they payed for him, be surprised if he went above that.

Hmm maybe, I had Gomes going in and abouts 30 twice the amount they payed for him, be surprised if he went above that.

The transfer of him and Rodrigo was as dodgy as they come tbf, I've heard he cost anything from between €15m-€35m

I think both combined cost Valencia €60m, but no one really knows the exact fees for both

The transfer of him and Rodrigo was as dodgy as they come tbf, I've heard he cost anything from between €15m-€35m

I think both combined cost Valencia €60m, but no one really knows the exact fees for both

Feck off thats pure madness, alas I wouldnt be surprised with 3rd parties involved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Reports are that Monchi has left Sevilla FC due to personal reasons, well thats them screwed anyways.

Reports are that Monchi has left Sevilla FC due to personal reasons, well thats them screwed anyways.

:(
    All the big clubs will target him. Wonder will Emery stay now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

:(
    All the big clubs will target him. Wonder will Emery stay now?

I'd say he will leave as well, apparently it was a row about money that monchi wanted to spend more and make them a mainstay in the champions league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Diego Simeone being linked with PSG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Diego Simeone being linked with PSG.

I'd love to see him stay with Atletico and finally get the Champions Legaue that they deserve however it would be really interesting to see him at PSG, their chances of winning the champions league would increase massively with him there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'd love to see him stay with Atletico and finally get the Champions Legaue that they deserve however it would be really interesting to see him at PSG, their chances of winning the champions league would increase massively with him there.

From what I've seen of PSG he would need to do a big shakeup there to mould the side in his image. It's not a squad full of typical Simeone players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Quique Flores in at Espanyol. I reckon he could stabilise them a lot after the turbulence of recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Real Madrid with another drawn game - four in a row in all comps. Zidane for the chop soon? Luckily for him Barca are also less than imperious but Atletico being top won't help him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Real Madrid with another drawn game - four in a row in all comps. Zidane for the chop soon? Luckily for him Barca are also less than imperious but Atletico being top won't help him.

Still no. Modric is a big loss for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Seen most or Real & Barca in the last year. Ronaldo stats hide his performances . Past his best & no way he should be in the top3 nevermind winning the Ballon D'or. Griezmann would deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Celta hit Barca on the break to make it 2! wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Make that 3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mathieu a bad impression of a professional footballer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Well that escalated quickly! 3 nil aspas on fire! Long way back from here for poor barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Christ, amazing score line! Wouldn't be shocked to see Barca come out and win 8-3 though!

Iniesta on to save money day... Hala barca

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

justshane wrote: »
    Christ, amazing score line! Wouldn't be shocked to see Barca come out and win 8-3 though!

Doubtful that Barcelona will get anything here, it's a bogey ground for them.
    Very odd team selection from Enrique considering they got hammered in the same fixture last season.

3-2 game on! Come on barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

A joke of a penalty. Soft as you like.

Great tackle pique, never a yellow get up aspas !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

What is this game?

5 minutes left.. Come on pique we 4

Pique-fantastic.
    Loving Denis Suarez too.

The international break has come at the right time with Messi returning for Deportivo.

Ter Stegen was a liability again last night ,directly responsible for 2 goals .

I said it when Bravo was left go to Man City that the club were letting the wrong keeper go ,Bravo is a much better distributor of the ball ,a better organiser of the defence ,and a better shot stopper.
    It was after this game last season that Ter Stegen was dropped ,he also conceded 4 last year in Vigo .

There is nobody to replace him with now though ,he is nowhere near good enough for a club of Barcelona's calibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I said it when Bravo was left go to Man City that the club were letting the wrong keeper go ,Bravo is a much better distributor of the ball ,a better organiser of the defence ,and a better shot stopper.
    It was after this game last season that Ter Stegen was dropped ,he also conceded 4 last year in Vigo .

There is nobody to replace him with now though ,he is nowhere near good enough for a club of Barcelona's calibre.

Couldn't agree more, just a terrible decision to let bravo go and keep stegen.

hes often been a liability for the cup games in the last two seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

sky88 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more, just a terrible decision to let bravo go and keep stegen.

hes often been a liability for the cup games in the last two seasons.

For some mad reason I thought he was going to be a revolutionary goalkeeper.

Are you really sure he's a liability?

I hate to say it but I couldn't disagree more. For me, the lad is the best goalkeeper on the planet under 25 years old. I have no hesitation in saying that with the ball at his feet he is the best goalkeeper I've ever seen play. He's an excellent shot-stopper, strong in 1 vs 1's and his command of the defence is growing all the time. He was the obvious choice to make the undisputed number one.

Ok, he messed up last night but at times like that it's important to remember what Guardiola said after Valdes made a similar mistake in a Clasico. "Don't blame the keeper, blame me, I tell him to play like that." Ter Stegen must play the Barca way and he's very good at it.

I hate to say it but I couldn't disagree more. For me, the lad is the best goalkeeper on the planet under 25 years old. I have no hesitation in saying that with the ball at his feet he is the best goalkeeper I've ever seen play. He's an excellent shot-stopper, strong in 1 vs 1's and his command of the defence is growing all the time. He was the obvious choice to make the undisputed number one.

Ok, he messed up last night but at times like that it's important to remember what Guardiola said after Valdes made a similar mistake in a Clasico. "Don't blame the keeper, blame me, I tell him to play like that." Ter Stegen must play the Barca way and he's very good at it.

I cant agree with much of that AIG ,there's no way he is the best keeper with the ball at his feet ,Neuer is much better.

Ter Stegen is extremely overconfident ,he takes far too many risks ,often when there is no need .
    Sure a keeper for a team like Barcelona will need to take risks due to the way they play out from the back but Bravo was actually superior at playing the ball out from the back because he knew when not to take chances and when to hit it long.

I get a sense of unease watching Ter Stegen play as he is always likely to make a clanger.

I cant agree with much of that AIG ,there's no way he is the best keeper with the ball at his feet ,Neuer is much better.

Ter Stegen is extremely overconfident ,he takes far too many risks ,often when there is no need .
    Sure a keeper for a team like Barcelona will need to take risks due to the way they play out from the back but Bravo was actually superior at playing the ball out from the back because he knew when not to take chances and when to hit it long.

I get a sense of unease watching Ter Stegen play as he is always likely to make a clanger.

Neuer is certainly better currently in many departments but with ball at feet I don't feel like any keeper has the edge over Ter Stegen. His performance earlier this season against Bilbao was probably the best I've ever seen a keeper play with the ball at his feet (and it was also a La Liga record for passes completed for a keeper). Let's also not forget that he has completed as many take on's in the league this season as Ronaldo :)

No doubt there is risk involved but there's reward too in having a keeper so capable on the ball. I'd never downplay Bravo's contributions to Barcelona the last few years but I'm very happy that Ter Stegen is the undisputed number 1 at the club now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

394E5F9800000578-0-image-m-17_1476193535605.jpg

£360 million redevelopment of the Bernabeu to be completed by 2020 complete with retractable roof.

• Advertisement
Advertisement