Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Superthread 2016/17

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Are Sky not showing the Copa Del Rey anymore ,I haven't seen any matches on lately.

Edit :It seems that they are only showing the final.

Disappointing that ,Sky's La Liga coverage has really deteriorated over the last few years .

I miss Revista De La Liga ,there was some good banter on there .
    The new 15 minute highlights programme is very short too ,and they only show it once a weekend .
    They could do with a Match of the Day style highlights programme ,but I guess it would be too costly.

They spent too much on the Premier League and so all football coverage will suffer as a consequence.

Should have kept Scott Minto on the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

The record for Real with a last second goal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Super goal by Benzema for the streak. Throwback to his Lyon days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Sunday 19.45

Do-Not-Disturb-Really-Dont.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

The big 3 all avoided each other in the quarter final draw for the Copa Del Rey.

Real v celta Vigo
    Barca v sociedad
    Athletico v eibar
    Alaves v alcorcon

Tricky tie for barca. Haven't beaten sociedad away since 2007 but at least they have the second leg back at the Nou Camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The big 3 all avoided each other in the quarter final draw for the Copa Del Rey.

Real v celta Vigo
    Barca v sociedad
    Athletico v eibar
    Alaves v alcorcon

Tricky tie for barca. Haven't beaten sociedad away since 2007 but at least they have the second leg back at the Nou Camp.

Clear evidence of corruption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Clear evidence of corruption.

Well something can't be right. Real didn't get Alcoron. Clearly those making the draw didn't get the tinfoil hat brigades messages

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Hahaha.....I wonder were these the same people that laughed at those who noticed something odd about Juventus in the early noughties, or who believe FIFA adamantly when they tell you that they award World Cups to certain nations for the good of the game. It's amazing to me that in a sport riddled with corruption that administrative and officiating bias could only he conceived by "the tinfoil hat brigade" particularly when the bias in question takes place in a country as fractured as Spain and when the evidence can be seen on your screen every week. But hey...surely corruption and favouritism couldn't happen in football of all things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Bad decisions happen to almost every team, every week.

Referees get stuff wrong.

It's not exclusive to Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

http://www.the42.ie/barcelona-sack-director-messi-comments-3185841-Jan2017/

Looks like Barca's 'more than a club' motto is actually about Messi. Pathetic to sack someone for this

• Advertisement

Bridge93 wrote: »
    http://www.the42.ie/barcelona-sack-director-messi-comments-3185841-Jan2017/

Looks like Barca's 'more than a club' motto is actually about Messi. Pathetic to sack someone for this

Firstly Messi did not demand or ask for him to be sacked, he's just been the unfortunate person tied into this. Could the club have handled this better? Yes. Should someone from the club be saying something like this in public? No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Firstly Messi did not demand or ask for him to be sacked, he's just been the unfortunate person tied into this. Could the club have handled this better? Yes. Should someone from the club be saying something like this in public? No.

I never said Messi demanded him to be sacked. In fact I'd be surprised if he even knew of anything until after the sacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Bridge93 wrote: »
    I never said Messi demanded him to be sacked. In fact I'd be surprised if he even knew of anything until after the sacking.

Your mistake there is denying the claim that he insinuated you made about Messi. Now he can respond with something along the lines of "I never stated you said that about Messi"....

and so on and so on...

Three or four posts down the line you won't remember what you were initially arguing about

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

More than a club my arse. I suppose if you repeat it enough times you'll start to believe it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

R00ster wrote: »
    More than a club my arse. I suppose if you repeat it enough times you'll start to believe it....

It is more than a club..................................its a global multi-million pound business......like the rest of the famous football clubs.

Its no more than a club than Real, Atleti, Inter, Liverpool, Celtic ...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Should someone from the club be saying something like this in public? No.
    Why not?

Why not?

In the midst of fairly tense contract negotiations and with the team never more reliant on Messi than right now it's a really stupid thing to say in public.

In the midst of fairly tense contract negotiations and with the team never more reliant on Messi than right now it's a really stupid thing to say in public.

So basically Messi is so childish that if anyone in the club praises his team mates he'll throw his toys out of the pram.

So basically Messi is so childish that if anyone in the club praises his team mates he'll throw his toys out of the pram.

Firstly nobody said that. Secondly I've already said Messi had absolutely no say in this decision. Thirdly you either don't understand or are purposefully ignoring the real meaning behind a comment like this from a Barcelona coach, it has little to nothing to do with Messi's teammates, rather he's trying to downplay the value of Messi to the team, something which, for anyone whose even seen a handful of Barcelona games this season, is outright ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Who's more impoprtant: the player or the club?

Who's more impoprtant: the player or the club?

It doesn't matter, what matters is that there are absolutely crucial contract negotiations and a carefully calculated game of chess being played by both parties and comments like that in public are, to use a Game of Thrones reference, like wild fire.

Firstly nobody said that. Secondly I've already said Messi had absolutely no say in this decision. Thirdly you either don't understand or are purposefully ignoring the real meaning behind a comment like this from a Barcelona coach, it has little to nothing to do with Messi's teammates, rather he's trying to downplay the value of Messi to the team, something which, for anyone whose even seen a handful of Barcelona games this season, is outright ridiculous.

How do you know he is deliberately trying to downplay Messi (answer is that you don't).Maybe he is being relaistic and pointing out that without such great team mates he wouldn't be so great himself (that applies to pretty much every great player).

Also you suggested contract negotiations would be potentially affected by these comments which suggests that Messi is quite childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Either way, Barcelona have made a royal pig's bullocks of the whole situation.

How he's not tied down to a deal is fúcking laughable.

I hope Real Madrid are putting together a monster package behind the scenes, just for the lols.

They said Figo wouldn't go......

It does.

It stinks that any club would stifle those kinds of comments just to protect the ego of their star. It doesn't reflect well on the club and it doesn't help team morale. The club might as well be saying: "Messi is the star, don't say otheriwse". How is that going to motivate the other players?

As for Messi, being like all other footballers, is willing to hold the club to ransom.

Nothing special here, Barca confirming they are just the same as every other club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Would love to see Messi play in another European league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

SlickRic wrote:
    I hope Real Madrid are putting together a monster package behind the scenes, just got the lols.

SlickRic wrote:
    They said Figo wouldn't go......

Would hate to see Messi at Madrid but would love to see him in another league or 2 before he retires

Personally I would love to see Messi play for Real Madrid just to see what the reaction from certain people would be.

How do you know he is deliberately trying to downplay Messi (answer is that you don't).Maybe he is being relaistic and pointing out that without such great team mates he wouldn't be so great himself (that applies to pretty much every great player).

Also you suggested contract negotiations would be potentially affected by these comments which suggests that Messi is quite childish.

Ye, I do though because anybody following the story in the context of the contract negotiations can, like a toddler, put 2 and 2 together. Literally nobody, anywhere, is questioning the purpose of the comments except for you, maybe you should ask yourself why that is. Spoiler, it's cos you've totally misinterpreted the story.

Because all footballers love it when their importance is downplayed. If this happened to Ronaldo at Real Madrid, during a contract negotiation no less(!), the club membera head would be on a spike outside the Bernabeu. Everyone knows how these things work, you don't break ranks, you toe the line, simple as.

Ye, I do though because anybody following the story in the context of the contract negotiations can, like a toddler, put 2 and 2 together. Literally nobody, anywhere, is questioning the purpose of the comments except for you, maybe you should ask yourself why that is. Spoiler, it's cos you've totally misinterpreted the story.

Because all footballers love it when their importance is downplayed. If this happened to Ronaldo at Real Madrid, during a contract negotiation no less(!), the club membera head would be on a spike outside the Bernabeu. Everyone knows how these things work, you don't break ranks, you toe the line, simple as.

Some players don't need their ego's massaged constantly they just get on with the job.

Why would a coach deliberately downplay Messi's contribution if he knows it will get him in trouble because of the negotiations?

He should he be entitled to a fairly un-controversial opinion without causing a player to potentially throw a hissy fit and decide not to sign a new contract.

He didn't say Messi was a ****e player just that he has excellent team mates and they've helped him be a great player.

If this kind of comment would affect Lionel Messi it doesn't exactly portray him in the best light.

Some players don't need their ego's massaged constantly they just get on with the job.

Why would a coach deliberately downplay Messi's contribution if he knows it will get him in trouble because of the negotiations?

He should he be entitled to a fairly un-controversial opinion without causing a player to potentially throw a hissy fit and decide not to sign a new contract.

He didn't say Messi was a ****e player just that he has excellent team mates and they've helped him be a great player.

If this kind of comment would affect Lionel Messi it doesn't exactly portray him in the best light.

I don't understand how somebody can view something in such an isolated way rather than viewing it in the overall context in which the comment was obviously made. That's why you fail to fully understand these things. Why do you think this coach is saying these things now? Why is he saying them in public? What's the purpose of his comment? Viewed in isolation it's probably just a regrettable opinion, but in the context that it was actually made and it's the last thing the Barcelona board would want to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

To be fair I see both sides. But the difference imo between Ronaldo and Messi is that I would not be surprised to see Ronnie move on. He's not a one club player.

Messis contract should be a formality if he loves the club. If statements like this can sway him and Barca fear statements causing tension then he truly has become bigger than the club as they try to appease.

Toobz wrote: »
    Messis contract should be a formality if he loves the club. If statements like this can sway him and Barca fear statements causing tension then he truly has become bigger than the club as they try to appease.
    "Messi que un club"

I don't understand how somebody can view something in such an isolated way rather than viewing it in the overall context in which the comment was obviously made. That's why you fail to fully understand these things. Why do you think this coach is saying these things now? Why is he saying them in public? What's the purpose of his comment? Viewed in isolation it's probably just a regrettable opinion, but in the context that it was actually made and it's the last thing the Barcelona board would want to hear.

Again why would he risk losing his job if he knew that he shouldn't be saying this and was doing it deliberately to stir ****?

If Messi was really such a loyal player his contract would be settled in a couple of hours and no comment from anyone would sway him.If it is the case that these comments could have even a minor affect then he has no real loyalty to Barcelona and is just stringing them along for his own personal gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Does Messi sign a new contract every year?
    It feels like he does anyway maybe I'm wrong. I think a part of Barca's squad being weak in the last few years was the huge new contracts they regularly spit out to their senior players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

ERG89 wrote: »
    Does Messi sign a new contract every year?
    It feels like he does anyway maybe I'm wrong. I think a part of Barca's squad being weak in the last few years was the huge new contracts they regularly spit out to their senior players.

It seems to be a cycle .
    Ronaldo get a new contract ,then Neymar wants one ,then Suarez and then Messi.
    The 4 lads are probably in collusion .

Cracking atmosphere in Sevilla. Hopefully this should be an entertaining game

Pretty tame first half. Both defense on top with only one chance that Rinaldo should have done better with

Penalty to real. Stupid from the keeper.

Sevilla have caused all there own problems in this half.

Getting feisty now

Ronnie scores

Ronaldo has been poor but that's a great penalty.

Ramos is great in the air. :pac:

• Advertisement

Sevilla equaliser. Ramos og

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I knew Ramos liked scoring late goals but he's not gonna enjoy that one!

Sevilla piling on the pressure now

Lad had to hit that first time after the huge defensive error

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Good god! What a finish to the game!!

Cracker

Actually keeper was all over the place positionally

Superb result for Sevilla. They are up to second now.

Real's record gone now and title race has tightened up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Nothing they didn't deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

inforfun wrote: »
    Sunday 19.45

Do-Not-Disturb-Really-Dont.jpg

Players listened to this as well for the first hour but when it got going.... Brilliant.

Advertisement