Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Superthread 2016/17

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

a glimmer of a chance for Real to win this league now ... a glimmer ...

Barca still overwhelming favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Great theatre at El Madrigal. Not so much a football match but a wonderfully choreographed play and Senor Manzano is the star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Looking at it from a UCL perspective, does it look like either Barca or Real are anywhere near their peak ability?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Penaldo Ronaldo becomes highest penalty scorer in La Liga history after tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Real were v lucky from bits I saw.

• Advertisement

Let's also not forget that Barcelona were denied one of the most blatant handballs I've ever seen earlier this season at El Madrigal when Bruno dived across the ground to stop the ball going in. Yet that was given(!) as a penalty tonight? Only in La Liga.

Pique firing up on social media, pointing out the (many) injustices of this season, and using Madrid's own media reports to do it. I'll say it again, we are surely at breaking point now, this has been the most crooked top flight Spanish season probably post Franco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Another world class performance from Ronaldo. He didn't touch a ball all night but that doesn't matter! Why? He got his penalty and a stat and that's all that matters. No other player could have scored a penalty so really Ronaldo won the game by himself. Kaka, Maradona, Cruyff, Zidane, Hagi, Pele eat your heart out. The game has never been taken to such heights

Furthermore, Ronaldo has been easily the 3rd best player in the league this season, if not arguably the best as his team is top and by default he must get all the plaudits automatically. Why I hear the unenlightened ask? Well he's scored the 3rd most amount of goals and has the 3rd most impressive stats and that's all that matters. It doesn't matter that his goals have mainly come against cannon fodder defenses where he's been set up with 2 yard tap ins or penalty's, it doesn't matter that he's hardly touched a ball all season and been a passenger in nearly every game, all that matters is the stats. Who actually watches games anymore? That's yesteryears criteria for judging greatness where they knew nothing. If only they knew back then that greatness was decided on paper, the stats! Idiots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Furthermore, Ronaldo has been easily the 3rd best player in the league this season, if not arguably the best as his team is top and by default he must get all the plaudits automatically. Why I hear the unenlightened ask? Well he's scored the 3rd most amount of goals and has the 3rd most impressive stats and that's all that matters. It doesn't matter that his goals have mainly come against cannon fodder defenses where he's been set up with 2 yard tap ins or penalty's, it doesn't matter that he's hardly touched a ball all season and been a passenger in nearly every game, all that matters is the stats. Who actually watches games anymore? That's yesteryears criteria for judging greatness where they knew nothing. If only they knew back then that greatness was decided on paper, the stats! Idiots

Keep trying man.

You keep going like this and all those trophies he's won over the years will be taken away from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Wow, that handball decision for the pen last night was disgusting by the ref.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Whats even more annoying if youre a Barca fan is Marcelo was moreguilty of a handball a few minutes later.

granted he knew nothing about it but it did hit his hand, unlike the Real penalty, that even in real time looked dodgy, the replays confirmed what I think everyone assumed, the ref had made a right balls up of it.

Cant take away from Morata though, whe he plays he scores and the GK cost them at least a point last night, the header was tame and he fumbled it in, yes they were hard done by the penalty but Real still had to win the game from that point and they were gifted another goal by the GK.

After Barcas result against Ateltico and them seeing Real 2-0 down they must have felt good, Real coming back and winning could kill any hope of a title for Barca, that was a real chance to close the gap. Real again though showed some defending last night that will give teams chances, theyre getting the basics wrong so badly that theyre no longer getting away with it in terms of keeping sides out.

I think theyre front 3 last night were abysmal, but 3 out of 4 of them that played scored, I'll excuse Bale, hes only back from an injury but Benzema and Ronaldo are coasting, I'd drop Benzema for Morata every day of the week anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ramos should maybe become a striker. Having a terrible season in terms of defending.
    Bale looks very rusty since coming back which is understandable. Benzema looks like a player who has lost his hunger or confidence. Aubameyang will most likely replace him in the summer.

Carvajal,Modric,Kroos & Marcelo are Real's underated players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Fourth ACL injury for Sergio Asenjo. Poor lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

.....and Real Madrid get their penalty! As soft as you'd expect. Now he's booked Soldado and he's fighting with Escriba while the white hankies wave about in stands. It can only be La Liga.

The ref was well rewarded for his endeavors
    Villarreal president Fernando Roig is irked that the referees who officiated his team's game against Real Madrid left La Ceramica stadium carrying plastic bags with the logo of La Liga leaders Real.

The visitors came from behind to win 3-2 on Sunday evening and reclaim top spot in La Liga.

"What has surprised me and made me laugh is that the referees have come out [of the stadium] with Real Madrid [plastic] bags," Roig told Cadena Cope radio. "They were carrying [plastic] bags of Real Madrid. I don't know what they had in those bags.

"Our coach did not like that the refereeing delegate came to say goodbye and while he shook our coach's hand, with the other he was holding a Real Madrid bag. He didn't like it. I don't think that is good."

They don't even try to hide it anymore. Why should they? Their media does their bidding, and the international media are happy to accept their version of things. You can talk about the many people who have talked about there being a Real Madrid driven agenda in the league, but you probably shouldn't have to, all you need to do is look at the decisions that have gone for Real Madrid this season and you'll quickly realise that you are watching a corrupt league every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Any photos of these Real Madrid bags?

Yeah, because if you are in the pocket of a football team and you fix the game so that they win, you'll do the really discreet thing of leaving the stadium with a Real Madrid bag. Why attract attention sure?

I watched the game, and it all seemed legit to me. The penalty decision was one I have seen given many times. The guy had his arm in the air for no apparent reason. Surely you could see why it was given? It is also football after all, pens are given that you think aren't, other people will think they are....thats the nature of the game I'm afraid.

If there is some great Real Madrid conspiracy, how come they have thrown away a great lead in La Liga, where were the refs in the last few games when they needed them?

I'm afraid if you look for conspiracies you will find them, especially in a sport that is open to interpretation by human beings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

There is only so much the refs can do to maintain Reals lead at the top. Sunday nights guy certainly did his part in securing a vital 3 points which are psychologically huge for Madrids confidence. And similarly to dent the hopes of both Barca and Sevilla who were licking their lips at 2-0.

Had Real been 2-0 up that penalty wouldn't be given as they wouldn't have "needed it".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Looks like he is just salty with the words like "Ref were with Madrid bags" and all that. If they fix the game they won't be getting something in Madrid bag, they would get in brown paper bag.

Fun fact: Barcelona would have 48 points instead of 42 and Real Madrid would have 39 points out of 46 without such blatant refereeing errors that have been directly involved in goal decisions. The funny thing is Barcelona, as a whole, haven't been very good this season, but in a fair league would still be out ahead as league leaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Fun fact: Barcelona would have 48 points instead of 42 and Real Madrid would have 39 points out of 46 without such blatant refereeing errors that have been directly involved in goal decisions. The funny thing is Barcelona, as a whole, haven't been very good this season, but in a fair league would still be out ahead as league leaders.

Funner Fact: Paranoid Nonsense!

Barcelona have had decisions (like every team in Europe) go there way also so getting your calculator out and balancing the what ifs is not an enjoyable way to go about things.

How about that game in Valencia in October, Barcelona lucky to scrape the win as Busquets should have got red and Valencia, arguably, could of had a a penalty. Valencia also got lucky a few times that game arguably you will counter argue but if you choose to highlight every bloody decision and then call this FUN, your idea of fun is pretty different to mine!

Then there was the unawarded penaltydue to Ronaldo being "offside" against Espanyol a fortnight ago(and yes I realise they would have won the game anyway but it is still an incorrect decision)
    C4_kTaeVYAA_QEa.jpg

The next day Messi got awarded an arguably contentious last minute winning penalty which, given the refs position, could have easily been not awarded giving the fact he must be very sure it is legitimate.

I just think it;s easier for you to take account of the negative decisions against your team and the contentious decisions going Madrid's way. there was whisperings concerning a linesman claiming to being told to favour Madrid a couple of years back but there is too much at stake for this supposed "deliberate" favouring to go on.

Maybe I am wrong but I certainly wouldn't find it "fun" to be paranoid about this stuff!!

• Advertisement

Ps, were you so up in arms when Barca have got so many contentious decisions there way over the years in Europe?

Ps, were you so up in arms when Barca have got so many contentious decisions there way over the years in Europe?

I think claims that decisions have gone Barca's way in Europe are completely blown out of proportion. It's become a "thing" because of the Barca's games v Mourinho sides and that Chelsea game. Obviously Mourinho has made a massive deal out of his teams always getting a red card v Barca to try and influence the refs, but the reality is the tactics he employs against Barca are to continually hack and foul to break up play and then cry when they rightfully get punished. As for the Chelsea game, people are quick to forget that Anelka got Barca a red card over a blatant dive in the second half, with all of Chelsea's penalty (bar one from the first half that was arguably outside the box) claims coming after this incident and directly due to it. Had Barca kept 11 men, it's unlikely Chelsea would have been able to mount any attack, which they were struggling to do for the whole game until this point

I think claims that decisions have gone Barca's way in Europe are completely blown out of proportion. It's become a "thing" because of the Barca's games v Mourinho sides and that Chelsea game. Obviously Mourinho has made a massive deal out of his teams always getting a red card v Barca to try and influence the refs, but the reality is the tactics he employs against Barca are to continually hack and foul to break up play and then cry when they rightfully get punished. As for the Chelsea game, people are quick to forget that Anelka got Barca a red card over a blatant dive in the second half, with all of Chelsea's penalty (bar one from the first half that was arguably outside the box) claims coming after this incident and directly due to it. Had Barca kept 11 men, it's unlikely Chelsea would have been able to mount any attack, which they were struggling to do for the whole game until this point

I agree. THat isn't the way my mindset works, I feel aggrieved with certain decisions during games and I will call out a ref's incompetence but I don't get paranoid that there is some mass conspiracy or even a minor conspiracy to favour a team throughout a season.

I just mean if you are going to go down the hysteric route of calculating points in accordance to what they should have been if the refs weren't corrupt, as you claim, you must be willing to delve into European games as well as there is a similar argument to be aggrieved with many decisions that have gone Barca's way in this regard.

I agree. THat isn't the way my mindset works, I feel aggrieved with certain decisions during games and I will call out a ref's incompetence but I don't get paranoid that there is some mass conspiracy or even a minor conspiracy to favour a team throughout a season.

I just mean if you are going to go down the hysteric route of calculating points in accordance to what they should have been if the refs weren't corrupt, as you claim, you must be willing to delve into European games as well as there is a similar argument to be aggrieved with many decisions that have gone Barca's way in this regard.

I don't think comparing Barca in Europe can be equated to La Liga as the dynamics are different. We seen it in Scotland for years with Rangers and Celtic, even on an individual level refs tended to give alot of favorable calls to Rangers while against Celtic, because there is an inherent dislike for Celtic due to their Irish nationalist ideology that most Scots would have been traditionally opposed to and most refs appointed by the SFA were not of Irish extraction. It's similar in Spain, with Barcelona and their Catalonian identity, they are not very well liked by many Spanish people and the refs are not immune to this either. I'm not saying that there are definitely decisions being made to favour Real on purpose, but at the same time, going by many decisions of late I wouldn't be surprised if there was

I guess so. In fairness, I was a bit harsh on AIG as his knowledge of La Liga is, admittedly superior to mine. But maybe it is also down to my reluctance to buy into this very conspiracy theory and also my reaction to the constant references to it and it being referred to as a "fun fact!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I'm still bitter to this day over RVP getting a second yellow card at the Nou Camp while playing for Arsenal for apparently kicking the ball away after the whistle had been blown. The whistle literally had been blown a fraction of a second earlier. Arsenal were leading the tie at that moment and it effectively cost them.

And as has been said that Chelsea Barcelona match at Stamford Bridge was as corrupt as you could get.

So I'm not going to be shedding any tears for Barcelona. Have no love loss for Real Madrid either, so would be nice to see Sevilla or someone win La Liga this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

2010 Barca were absolutely robbed on a CL final place too. In the first leg Diego Milito had goal given which was yards offside.

Then at the death of the 2nd leg, Bojan had a perfectly good goal chalked off for a handball given against Yaya which had in fact hit his chest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

And don't forget that they had the distinct disadvantage of having to travel by bus to Milan for that first leg, due to that unspellable volcano kicking off in Iceland.

Random natural feature of geology acting up at a bad time? Pffttt... We all know the real story.

Mes Que Un Persecution Complex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

if you go down every team in the league theyll have terrible decisions against them, the biggest clubs especally as refs are afraid of the backlash and will do it to a smaller team easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Here's a conspiracy for you. Barca are being treated unfairly because their players refuse to pay tax. When the Spanish govt get what they're owed they will give Barca a level playing playing field. Or conversely they could go and buy the referees themselves with all that extra cash they've saved through fraud

gimmick wrote: »
    2010 Barca were absolutely robbed on a CL final place too. In the first leg Diego Milito had goal given which was yards offside.

Then at the death of the 2nd leg, Bojan had a perfectly good goal chalked off for a handball given against Yaya which had in fact hit his chest.

You left out Howard Webb booking Messi for a dive for a stonewall penalty in the first leg.

You could list any teams moments where significant decisions went against them until the cows come home but it doesn't change the fact that these are just part of the game. The notion that there's a grand conspiracy here is pretty ludicrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm still bitter to this day over RVP getting a second yellow card at the Nou Camp while playing for Arsenal for apparently kicking the ball away after the whistle had been blown. The whistle literally had been blown a fraction of a second earlier. Arsenal were leading the tie at that moment and it effectively cost them.
    For some reason I remember feeling that wasn't that absurd a call by the ref but maybe that was my bias. I think you're right that there was very little time between the ref blowing up and RVP kicking the ball but I remember thinking that it looked like petulant behaviour at the time.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Here's a conspiracy for you. Barca are being treated unfairly because their players refuse to pay tax. When the Spanish govt get what they're owed they will give Barca a level playing playing field. Or conversely they could go and buy the referees themselves with all that extra cash they've saved through fraud

Real Madrid are hardly a model of perfect taxation practices...

Real Madrid are hardly a model of perfect taxation practices...

Balance the calculations of the tax discrepancies then ! ;)

Balance the calculations of the tax discrepancies then ! ;)

I would almost certainly outsource such a task to my accountancy firm :D

• Advertisement

I think if you were to ask fans of the smaller Spanish clubs about the 'big two', they'd say that Barca get plenty of dodgy ref decisions, just the same as Madrid.

Its probably said by Scottish fans about Celtic now.

And West Brom fans about Man Utd and Chelsea etc.

Its the nature of football. Always has been, always will be.

Getting back to the Villarreal game the other night, bar the pen, which I understand being given, what other decisions were dodgy? I think Madrid showed great heart to come back into the game and take the lead. Other 2 goals were fine, or is there a conspiracy about them too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think Madrid showed great heart to come back into the game and take the lead. Other 2 goals were fine, or is there a conspiracy about them too?

I felt the same, there was an air of inevitability about it for me. It got to the stage were I felt they were gonna win it, regardless of the penalty.

A great days football, really enjoyed the Barcelona game too.

And both teams go again tomorrow, happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

IIRC, the two goals that Sevilla scored against Betis in the other day in their 2-1 win in the Seville derby were close offside calls. Is anybody talking about this?

Refs are human. They can't see everything and get everything 100% right. It's not just in La Liga, not just in Real or Barca matches. It happens all over the place. It makes a great story for Barca to go on and on about a conspiracy. It means anytime they drop points because of poor decisions, they can deflect from not winning that particular game despite them. All very convenient.

Building up the Catalan thing as a reason for the conspiracy is tactless, especially when they have stated their preferrence to continue in La Liga if Catalunya ever becomes independent. Why on earth would they do that if they truly believe there is a conspiracy and being Catalan, not Spanish, is so important to them?

I loathe both the Big Two in Spain. Real know they are a bunch of ***** and are terrible at hiding it and probably aren't too bothered. Barca try way too hard. Their PR is shallow and whiny.

Mes Que Un Club meant something at one point but they trot it out far too often to deflect from the fact that they are just a big football-based business, just like their rivals Real Madrid, just like all the big football clubs around the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

S.M.B. wrote: »
    For some reason I remember feeling that wasn't that absurd a call by the ref but maybe that was my bias. I think you're right that there was very little time between the ref blowing up and RVP kicking the ball but I remember thinking that it looked like petulant behaviour at the time.

Never forget who the ref was in that one.
    He never had a European match after that incident and was appointed head of refereeing development at FIFA soon afterwards.

Man on a mission that night.

BARCA 2 up after 10 minutes (Gijon)

Cue hysterical AIG reaction!! ; )

Just kidding..................a bit ; )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

That was terrible defending by Barcelona and they looked so comfortable.

Barca could have been a couple up and theyve been caught at the back, story of their season really, theyre woefully lacking at the back.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Barca could have been a couple up and theyve been caught at the back, story of their season really, theyre woefully lacking at the back.

They literally were a couple up!

And are again!

They literally were a couple up!

And are again!

Oh ya, I think the goal was nothing more than a lpase at the back but thats become all too common for Barca.

That looked onside for Madrid. Camera was off center. Think player was level with last defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Well that looked offside for Madrid anyway.

Well well, equaliser straight away. Absolute rocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Boateng rightly given offside 5 minutes ago.
    Isco given onside for the same thing a moment ago for his goal.

Luis Enrique confirms in his press conference that he will not be the head coach of Barcelona next season. It's been sometimes great, sometimes bad, he does leave the club as a legend having delivered the treble and then the double. Let the speculation begin as to who is next.

Big Sam?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Big Sam?

Don't give Bartomeu ideas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement