Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Superthread 2016/17

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,307 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Seriously, this thread is on the verge of developing into a train wreck soon with this conspiracy obsession sh1te. I would nearly give the Man United thread more credibility at the moment (Ps, I am a United fan, that thread is just an abyss of nonsense)
    It's all good natured banter here though.

I haven't visited the utd forum in ages, it's really gone down in quality over the years, full of bandwagoners and the herd mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I haven't visited the utd forum in ages, it's really gone down in quality over the years, full of bandwagoners and the herd mentality.

Despite my aggrievements, I have been known to be good natured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

It's surpassed banter though now, lets be honest. The theory has more or less been elevated to "fact" and it's like some posters are almost relieved when Madrid get a dodgy corner or a penalty so that they can back up the "fact"!! It's funny to see the obsession but it took away from posting about a greatly entertaining game!

I am not questioning posters personalities, that isn't the essence of my point! Anyway enough of this from me, as I am developing into a hypocrite here!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Totally agree about La Liga v EPL, former getting better and latter getting worse.

By far the best football is being played in Spain now. Sky continue to hype the EPL to the max, but anyone with half a brain can see through it.

Las Palmas are a lowly team with little budget, look how they played the game tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

La Liga is the best league in the world.
    Brillant game tonight full of attacking football. Real look to be tiring despite the comeback again. Ramos is having a shocking run of form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Fair enough if ye think La Liga is better but the crowds really leave it down. Lack of away fans really takes from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Too bad Sky turn down the sound of the stadium and fans when broadcasting LaLiga matches, yet blare it up for the EPL games. Best atmosphere in the world in the EPL and all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

La Liga refs always blow it up exactly on the minutes to which they've added, you basically never see them go above the allotted added time (something which is far more common in England.)

It's not the alotted time, it's the minimum amount to be played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think the calls of Ronaldo being 'past it' are more wishful thinking than fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

AdamD wrote: »
    I think the calls of Ronaldo being 'past it' are more wishful thinking than fact.

I think if you watch him regularly you can see that his powers are fading.

If he is to have a few more years in the game he will have to change his style of play, and I think he is already doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think if you watch him regularly you can see that his powers are fading.

If he is to have a few more years in the game he will have to change his style of play, and I think he is already doing that.

There's no doubt about that, and counter attacking play no longer suits him. But past it? Not a chance..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

callaway92 wrote: »
    Fair enough if ye think La Liga is better but the crowds really leave it down. Lack of away fans really takes from it.

Who cares if there aren't as many away fans.It makes absolutely zero difference to watching it on TV and it doesn't affect what happens on the field which is all that really matters and anyway it's very obvious Sky turn the sound down on the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

So, Luis Enrique is going to leave Barca at the end of the season.

Who'll be next?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Premier League is like the ex you can't get over.  Even in a La Liga thread someone has to mention it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

La Liga is a joke, such a fix of a league.

Pure farce.

What are you worried about ?

Your team has the league won ... it's DONE ....

Start celebrating now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Too bad Sky turn down the sound of the stadium and fans when broadcasting LaLiga matches, yet blare it up for the EPL games. Best atmosphere in the world in the EPL and all that

Is it not that its studio commentary as opposed to actual stadium commentary for the PL?

Re lack of away fans - its pretty hard to be an away fan in Spain given some of the ludicrous KO times and the fact that game times are only confirmed 10 days before KO!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

gimmick wrote: »
    Is it not that its studio commentary as opposed to actual stadium commentary for the PL?

Re lack of away fans - its pretty hard to be an away fan in Spain given some of the ludicrous KO times and the fact that game times are only confirmed 10 days before KO!!

Never knew that about the game times seems crazy for fans.

i see barca have said they wont announce new manager until after july 1st got to think the manager has signed on and hes with another club and doesn't want to announce it until season over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Who cares if there aren't as many away fans.It makes absolutely zero difference to watching it on TV and it doesn't affect what happens on the field which is all that really matters and anyway it's very obvious Sky turn the sound down on the games.

You don't think atmosphere adds to a match?

It makes a huge difference. The crowd reaction, the chants, the applause (even something small like when a player is taken off injured, that mutual respect applause echoing around the stadium), You don't think you appreciate it until you hear

Compare that to the hollow, echoed, more or less muted viewing when stadium sound is turned down, it almost distracts from the game which seems bizarre in itself but you are drawn to the commentators attempts to create an atmosphere, some of whom's over enthusiasm and constant usage of pointless adjectives and synonyms makes you want to completely mute your TV whilst others seem to just go through the motions a la prototypes of Michael monotOwen.

No, stadium atmosphere is a vital part of match viewing for me.

• Advertisement

La Liga is a joke, such a fix of a league.

You are just trying to be Real Madrids AIG. It doesn't work, sorry. At least AIG knows how to talk football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Just on the conspiracy nonsense, Morata had 1 perfectly good goal ruled out and one very marginal one ruled out for offside, if theres a conspiracy both goals arent flagged.

Even taking those away for a second, Las Palmas must have had 3 or 4 excellent chances with the game at 3-1 and fluffed them all, while Navas kept Real in the game.

Las Palams only have themselves to blame last night, had they kept the ball instead of giving away every 5 passes, theyed have cruised to a victory but in the end they barely hung on.

They had the quality to get around Real but they threw it all away and tried to sit back on the lead, Reals penalty was a penalty IMO, and there snothing you can do about the header, unless you mark better but the short corner caught them out.

Again, even if you look passed that, Real had enough chances between Ramos, Benzema, Morata and Ronaldo that had they been a bit better, they could have ran out winners. It was a great game for the neutrals but there was no conspiracy just abysmal patches of defending and finishing from both sides and made for good viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Just on the conspiracy nonsense, Morata had 1 perfectly good goal ruled out and one very marginal one ruled out for offside, if theres a conspiracy both goals arent flagged.

Even taking those away for a second, Las Palmas must have had 3 or 4 excellent chances with the game at 3-1 and fluffed them all, while Navas kept Real in the game.

Las Palams only have themselves to blame last night, had they kept the ball instead of giving away every 5 passes, theyed have cruised to a victory but in the end they barely hung on.

They had the quality to get around Real but they threw it all away and tried to sit back on the lead, Reals penalty was a penalty IMO, and there snothing you can do about the header, unless you mark better but the short corner caught them out.

Again, even if you look passed that, Real had enough chances between Ramos, Benzema, Morata and Ronaldo that had they been a bit better, they could have ran out winners. It was a great game for the neutrals but there was no conspiracy just abysmal patches of defending and finishing from both sides and made for good viewing.

The conspiracy talk is all nonsense, the ones claiming there is a conspiracy seem to be ignoring the decisions that went against Madrid.

Jese could have easily had a hat-trick when the score was 3-1. When Real went all out attack it was going to be very hard to stop, it just looked inevitable that they would at least get a draw.

The conspiracy talk is all nonsense, the ones claiming there is a conspiracy seem to be ignoring the decisions that went against Madrid.

Jese could have easily had a hat-trick when the score was 3-1. When Real went all out attack it was going to be very hard to stop, it just looked inevitable that they would at least get a draw.

Ya, Navas kept them in it despite making a balls of the 3rd goal.

Real went for it and you cant really do anything but commend that approach, it should have cost them at the other end but Las Palams couldnt kill the game and couldnt see it out.

callaway92 wrote: »
    You don't think atmosphere adds to a match?

Not when you are watching it on TV and you already know that the stadium sound is deliberately turned down for the broadcast.The away fans don't tend to add much to the atmosphere of any match on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

just watched the highlights of the Madrid game, few great goals including Ronaldos peno. Prob felt like the ref gave the Madrid peno to make up for LP peno and Bales red. Bale just lost, hopefully he does the same on the 24th!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Not when you are watching it on TV and you already know that the stadium sound is deliberately turned down for the broadcast.The away fans don't tend to add much to the atmosphere of any match on TV.

It's a strange one, I've been to the Nou Camp for a league game and the crowd were as quiet as they seem on tv, bar the one section behind the goals. It was a great atmosphere to enjoy some great football though, couldn't care less if the crowd weren't singing stupid chants.

On the other hand I've been to Goodison a lot, for small games and big games and the atmosphere is atrocious. If they're not cursing and moaning at absolutely everything they are absolutely quiet and it is the away corner making all the noise. My so has even fallen asleep at one of the odd games she went to. It's definitely not as noisy as it sounds on tv.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39136742

Guardiola says its a sad day to be a Barcelona fan ... f-ck off Pep!!!

yeah they are about to win a third treble and will win the league for the next 27 years ... boo hoo terrible time to be a barca fan ... jaysus!!!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39136742

Guardiola says its a sad day to be a Barcelona fan ... f-ck off Pep!!!

yeah they are about to win a third treble and will win the league for the next 27 years ... boo hoo terrible time to be a barca fan ... jaysus!!!

I'm really not sure what the motivation behind this is. I don't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I'm really not sure what the motivation behind this is. I don't get it.

Formerly known as The_Monkey, Jan de Bakker lives/works in Barcelona at times and as such has been surrounded by Barcelona fans, as you would be. In such times, he has grown to hate these merry folk who believe their club to be the best in the world and as such has to hear them talk about it at length.

This hatred he harbours runs deep to his core, and if you've followed previous La Liga/Barcelona threads, he doesn't hide or mask this hatred.

He's gas though... I just picture someone tearing his hair out and scratching at the walls at the sounds of cheering supporters going past his window after Barça win a match.

No, I am absolutely convinced he is a stay at home middle aged house husband from Athlone who has never been to a match in his life and has seen AIG's posts and just strives (don't ask me why : D ) to be his nemesis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

No, I am absolutely convinced he is a stay at home middle aged house husband from Athlone who has never been to a match in his life and has seen AIG's posts and just strives (don't ask me why : D ) to be his nemesis!

Thats a fair description :pac:

You know you'll always be my number one nemesis, these other guys don't compare ;)

Glico Man wrote: »
    Formerly known as The_Monkey, Jan de Bakker lives/works in Barcelona at times and as such has been surrounded by Barcelona fans, as you would be. In such times, he has grown to hate these merry folk who believe their club to be the best in the world and as such has to hear them talk about it at length.

This hatred he harbours runs deep to his core, and if you've followed previous La Liga/Barcelona threads, he doesn't hide or mask this hatred.

He's gas though... I just picture someone tearing his hair out and scratching at the walls at the sounds of cheering supporters going past his window after Barça win a match.

He also hates Rafael Nadal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Torres took an awful blow to to head. Very scary scene, especially the players reaction. Fair play to Godin and co for spotting it straight away and preventing him from blocking his own airrway with his tongue. Fingers crossed for him.

• Advertisement

• Dat goal from Greizmann last night

Dat-Ass.jpg

Glico Man wrote: »

Its like you've known me my whole life!!!

:D

Athlone's a lovely town !!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

Interesting article about, Patrick O'Connell: Spanish football's Irish hero honoured

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-39144700

Wouldn't put it past Eibar getting a win today. Madrid have not been at their best and Eibar have been picking up plenty of points.

• Advertisement

Real 1-0 inside 15mins, the game is being showed on delayed coverage later but with the Pool v Arsenal game, it might be missed.

Benzema brace with 25 minutes gone.

Neymar and Messi too hot to handle here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Thats a great goal by Messi

Ah Messi. :o

Thats just great.

Genius goal! Magical goal! Messi goal!! Give that man the deed to the Camp Nou, give him everything, he's Barcelona's greatest ever, he's football's best footballer ever. He might be dragging Barcelona to an incredibly unlikely league title.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Neymar excellent so far, a couple of long penetrative runs.

Definitely a lot more fire under the team it looks like than recent home games.

Neymars been much better this week. A goal would cap off a good performance.

What a goal by Neymar, what an amazing finish.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Neymars been much better this week. A goal would cap off a good performance.

And what a goal to cap it off.

That finish is right from the top drawer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement