Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Superthread 2016/17

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

davycc wrote:
    Great header a deserved 2-1 lead, Please hold on Gijón

You do relise its not live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

You do relise its not live?

It says live Spanish football in my sky guide ?

What is the full time score you may as well put me out of my misery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

davycc wrote: »
    It says live Spanish football in my sky guide ?

What is the full time score you may as well put me out of my misery

Nah just ignore this thread and watch it. Sky are pulling the 'auld' 3pm kick-off delayed live coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Xavier Priest sounds like a superhero.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Please Please Please tell me it was as a result of an offside decision moments after Gijon were denied a penalty!

I doubt it though as this thread is very quiet ;)

In Dublin at wrestling all day, saw none of the games, all I know is that Isco is incredible, Real Madrid's squad depth is a big reason they'll win this league and Messi again had to drag this team kicking and screaming to 3 points. Nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Unearthly wrote:
    Tony Adams manager of Granada.

First game tonight went as expected. 3-0 home defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ERG89 wrote: »

He could end up making Gary Neville look good.

Ernesto Valverde increasingly looking like the next Barça head coach. I hope you can all contain your excitement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,299 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

ERG89 wrote: »

Jesus wouldnt save that Granada side to be honest,Adams only stepped in as manager as nobody else would take the job and he is involved with the company that owns the club.

Granada are seven points from safety, having been in the relegation zone for 27 weeks.
    Of the 10 outfield players fielded by Celta , only one was first choice,yet they hammered Granada.

Only 12 Granada first teamers actually belong to the club; of 106 players across the first, second and U19 teams, only 44 do.
    They have a young, transient squad: 13 of their players are loanees: at the end of the season they will be gone.

The players can barely understand each other ,as there are so many nationalities .
    On Sunday night Granada, a Spanish club with a Chinese owner and an English manager, had a Mexican goalkeeper; the back four was Portuguese, Icelandic, French, and Uruguayan; in midfield they had a Slovenian, a Nigerian, a Ghanaian and a Brazilian (with a Belgian passport); and up front were a Ukrainian and an Argentinian.
    Eleven different nationalities, and no Spaniards. Soon, they will add two more players Kieran Richardson and Nigel Reo-Coker taking it to 18 nationalities in their first team squad, as on top of those 12 (soon to be 13), there are four Spaniards, a Cameroonian, Greek, Israeli, Mali, Moroccan and Colombian.
    Its a circus .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Valverde is an ex-Barca man so he knows the Barca way. He has done well with Athletic since he's been there and dealt with the pressure of being at a big club that demands success when he was at Olympiakos.

His spells at Villarreal and Valencia (basket case of a club, tbf) might not be the best but taking charge of Barca will be a lot easier.

Are there any other legit candidates? Weren't Emery and Berizzo mentioned?

Valverde is an ex-Barca man so he knows the Barca way. He has done well with Athletic since he's been there and dealt with the pressure of being at a big club that demands success when he was at Olympiakos.

His spells at Villarreal and Valencia (basket case of a club, tbf) might not be the best but taking charge of Barca will be a lot easier.

Are there any other legit candidates? Weren't Emery and Berizzo mentioned?

There is a legit candidate. There's an outstanding candidate that could come in and have a similarly transformative to a Cruyff or Guardiola, which is exactly what this club needs at the moment if it is to remain special. Thomas Tuchel is the obvious outstanding candidate capable of evoking real change at this club, but that won't happen. They'll go for Valverde because he has "Barça DNA" and he won't rock the boat because, unlike the Laporta board who chose a completely untested Pep Guardiola over the illustrious Jose Mourinho, this board hasn't got the guts to do something similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

There is a legit candidate. There's an outstanding candidate that could come in and have a similarly transformative to a Cruyff or Guardiola, which is exactly what this club needs at the moment if it is to remain special. Thomas Tuchel is the obvious outstanding candidate capable of evoking real change at this club, but that won't happen. They'll go for Valverde because he has "Barça DNA" and he won't rock the boat because, unlike the Laporta board who chose a completely untested Pep Guardiola over the illustrious Jose Mourinho, this board hasn't got the guts to do something similar.

Couldnt agree more, has the smell of a yes man.
    Im not as big a fan of Tuchel as you, I personally would have given it to Sampaoli. But hes as far from a yes man you could get

irishman86 wrote: »
    Im not as big a fan of Tuchel as you, I personally would have given it to Sampaoli. But hes as far from a yes man you could get

Hahaha the shrine in my house to Tuchel is smaller in size only to that of my Guardiola one.

Two top coaches, both with the ability to reinvigorate the entire club, help it regain a sense of purpose and recapture it's identity. Instead it's same old, same old as we muddle along, following this strange "inferior Galactico" strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

The guy I'd love to see get offered and take the Barca job is El Loco Bielsa.

He'd probably last 2 seasons, but they would be entertaining if nothing else.

Hahaha the shrine in my house to Tuchel is smaller in size only to that of my Guardiola one.

Two top coaches, both with the ability to reinvigorate the entire club, help it regain a sense of purpose and recapture it's identity. Instead it's same old, same old as we muddle along, following this strange "inferior Galactico" strategy.

Its funny what made Barcelona different was the home-grown thing they had. Now they seem to have caught the Galatico taste while Madrid are recruiting the talented Spaniards. They may have fluked it with Pep regarding manager but they have no excuse for Thiago playing for Bayern or even Delefeou at Milan/Everton

• Advertisement

Please Please Please tell me it was as a result of an offside decision moments after Gijon were denied a penalty!

Well you saw another refereeing debacle involving Madrid tonight .

2 offside goals ,a phantom red card for a good tackle ,and Casemiro staying on the pitch despite committing numerous bookable offences.

You still think this refereeing conspiracy is just tin foil hat stuff ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

2 offside goals ,a phantom red card for a good tackle ,and Casemiro staying on the pitch despite committing numerous bookable offences.

You're not into this too are ya? Seen you post plenty before and thought you'd be above this kinda stuff. It is tin hat stuff if people think there's a conspiracy in Europe to favour Real, especially over a giant German team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The refs were just ****e last night.

They gave a goal kick to Bayern in the first half even though it was 100% clear that Neuer had saved a shot and nobody apart from the refs could have thought it was anything other than a corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

The guy I'd love to see get offered and take the Barca job is El Loco Bielsa.

He'd probably last 2 seasons, but they would be entertaining if nothing else.

Watch Lille next season.
    If he cares to show up there after signing for them at least :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I often wonder what watching football means to people who harper on with sh1te like this. Maybe watch a game that doesn't involve one of the big 2 at the weekend, even the highlights programme and give me a weekly review of all the imperfect officiating decisions henceforth and we will wI'll try to draw up an accumulative chart of who the refs in La Liga want to win and lose.

Should be "great craic"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

irishman86 wrote: »

I'd be interested in your opinion of Klopp? Would you ever take him at Barca?

Corholio wrote: »
    You're not into this too are ya? Seen you post plenty before and thought you'd be above this kinda stuff. It is tin hat stuff if people think there's a conspiracy in Europe to favour Real, especially over a giant German team.

There is no smoke without fire.

Real are riding a huge wave of fortune the last few seasons ,its becoming almost astonishing now the amount of dodgy refereeing incidents in their matches.

Vidal has a good sense of humour it must be said

14925833956890.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

There is no smoke without fire.

Real are riding a huge wave of fortune the last few seasons ,its becoming almost astonishing now the amount of dodgy refereeing incidents in their matches.

In Europe? Is there? For decisions they have got I'm pretty sure you could accumulate quite a few for many of the big teams. It just tends to be who shouts the loudest about Real that seems to make out it's worse with them. There is a common thing about this 'UEFAlona' with Barcelona with has quite a lot of stats to support it, however I don't particularly believe UEFA have a set bias for them or anything. So considering there's some who think there's a bias for Real, and some who think there's a bias for Barcelona, so who's right? I don't think anybody is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

So im seeing rumours that Spain is in fact introducing video refs in 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Classico weekend and surprise surprise it's not on at 3 so it's available to view this time round. Luis enriques final season hinges on this, win and they are back in the race for la liga, lose and their seasons essentially over.
    Predictions? A large portion of the game spent by players feigning injuries and mobbing the ref literally being in his face. Ah I'll watch anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It's usually only any good if it's a blowout and one team can't get close enough to the play to be able to use their theatrics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

klose wrote: »
    Classico weekend and surprise surprise it's not on at 3 so it's available to view this time round. Luis enriques final season hinges on this, win and they are back in the race for la liga, lose and their seasons essentially over.
    Bit dramatic there, Madrid still have the CL semis and their game in hand away to Celta at some point. Barca have nothing else on, except the Copa del Rey final. Madrid still have a lot of work to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

El Clasico is too mainstream.

Villareal are a lot rougher than the last time I saw them :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I think it's the unspoken rule of playing Atleti: if you don't roughen up, they'll rough you up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ronaldo and Kross both rested for tonights game.

Its the 3rd straight away game Ronaldos been rested for Real.

Bales out injured, Ramos is suspended but Varane is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Valverde actually did quite well with Valencia, but refused to stay on after his 6 months contract ended. I can't remember the exact reason why, but probably something to do with the club being a basket-case club. Most Valencia fans would have loved him to stay; the last good manager the club had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ronaldo and Kross both rested for tonights game.

Its the 3rd straight away game Ronaldos been rested for Real.

Bales out injured, Ramos is suspended but Varane is back.

Ronaldo's old body is starting to hurt I'd say. Can't play twice a week any more.
    Either that or they are resting him for the Atleti game?
    Re: Kroos, I thought he was very poor in the Clasico, so can understand that one.

Big call for ZZ, Depor is a tough game for them.

There is not even "space" to schedule Celta - Real so any chance to rest Ronaldo here or there they should take.
    Messi at least gets taken off after 60 mins every now and then but try to get Ronaldo off the pitch once he is on it.
    They have a match every 3 or 4 days from now till may 14th.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Ronaldo's old body is starting to hurt I'd say. Can't play twice a week any more.
    Either that or they are resting him for the Atleti game?
    Re: Kroos, I thought he was very poor in the Clasico, so can understand that one.

I'd say theyre keeping the "best" for the UCL and hoping to fall over the line with the squad in La Liga.

Real love winning the UCL, its the holy grail, if you offered them one or the other right now, theyed probably say win the UCL.

Plus the first one to defend the CL successfully. Might appeal to them too.

NIMAN wrote: »

Could be a cracking game as the Riazor used to be Real's bogey ground but not for the last few years.

Deportivo have not won there in their last five games against Real Madrid (drawn one, lost four) after just one loss in the 21 previous games there (winning 13 of those).

Ramos got a 1 game ban too.

• Advertisement

Ramos got a 1 game ban too.

He is now the dirtiest player in the league.
    136 bookings and 17 sendings off.

1 game ban for Ramos....despite it being a straight red card for dangerous play, despite the antics before and after leaving the pitch, he gets a ban for a game in which Madrid will rest players anyway. I've got so much more to say about this but please let the impact of that ban sink in first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Is it always just a 1 game ban for a straight red? I just assume it's 3 games, the neymar bit made me think it could be 2 games.

1 game ban for Ramos....despite it being a straight red card for dangerous play, despite the antics before and after leaving the pitch, he gets a ban for a game in which Madrid will rest players anyway. I've got so much more to say about this but please let the impact of that ban sink in first.
    :D:D

I really really really really hopes he scores a last minute equaliser against Sevilla or Granada and Real Madrid win the League by a point! Good enough for you!

It is a standard ban for that offence and if you want to get all micky mouse about rules, accept the fact that the regulatory body made the right decision here.

In Neymar's case the extra 2 games were applied for his behaviour towards the ref. Anyone with common sense will know that Ramos was directing his attention to Pique. If you (wrongly) say that his immature behaviour heading off the pitch in that respect merited further ban, you could also (wrongly) say that Messi's goading of the Madrid fans by breaking the rules and taking off his jersey mid game also merited a ban!

Come on AIG, talk sensible and not with emotion on this matter.

It is a bit ridiculous that he gets a 1 match ban for trying to take Messi's leg off at the knee and Neymar gets 3 matches for a fairly innocuous tackle .(I know Neymar was punished for clapping the ref ).

Mushy wrote: »
    Is it always just a 1 game ban for a straight red? I just assume it's 3 games, the neymar bit made me think it could be 2 games.

In England, dangerous play resulting in a straight red is a 3 game ban. Think Elbow, headbutt, reckless tackles, those of type of things.

If it was the PL, he'd be getting a 3 game ban, I'm not sure how it works in La Liga but a straight red for a dangerous tackle resulting in a 1 game ban seems very soft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mushy wrote: »

In England, dangerous play resulting in a straight red is a 3 game ban. Think Elbow, headbutt, reckless tackles, those of type of things.

If it was the PL, he'd be getting a 3 game ban, I'm not sure how it works in La Liga but a straight red for a dangerous tackle resulting in a 1 game ban seems very soft.

That's exactly my thinking!

It is a bit ridiculous that he gets a 1 match ban for trying to take Messi's leg off at the knee and Neymar gets 3 matches for a fairly innocuous tackle .(I know Neymar was punished for clapping the ref ).

Answered your own question there in fairness!

It is based on precedent.

It is a standard ban for that offence and if you want to get all micky mouse about rules, accept the fact that the regulatory body made the right decision here.

It was a filthy tackle ,criminal according to Fabio Capello .
    If Messi hadnt got out of the way his leg would have been shattered.
    "You just have to look at the replay," Capello said. "It is a criminal challenge, and [Ramos] deserved to be sent off. Every time there is a Clasico at the Santiago Bernabeu, the Madrid players try and injure Messi. It was a clear red card."

It was a filthy tackle ,criminal according to Fabio Capello .
    If Messi hadnt got out of the way his leg would have been shattered.

It was a filthy tackle? Noone disputes that. What is the precedent for a similar (and there would be plenty of similar) tackles earning a lengthier ban.

I get the uproar and the "it is only being talked about because it was Messi" is a nonsense point for observors who agree with the "leniency" of the ban but the point is that I am sure there is plenty of evidence of players in La Liga matches with not such a high profile engaging in a similar tackle and earning a similar ban.

The authorities cannot decide just to change that precedent because it is Messi and Ramos involved and it is an El Classico.

I agree, it deserved, by moral standards a few more games but rules are rules.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Neymar was two yellow cards was it not, so a 1 game ban is typical. He was booked in the first half certainly.

Ramos was a straight red, it should not be the same as two yellows.

• Advertisement
Advertisement