Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Superthread 2016/17

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

MSN are pushing this title race all the way! Suarez completes the hat trick for the legendary trio. Wonderful play by Sergi Roberto in the build up. Suarez, on the 2nd anniversary of THAT Messi goal against Bayern Munich, pays homage to it with that similar goal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

This is the game I thought Barcelona would slip up in, looks to be not the case despite Neymar being wasteful. Of course this was the opposition of the ghost handball in the away game, Points that would be handy now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Difference is though Ronaldo is the main man at Real.

Imagine a whole team set up to get the best out of Neymar I'd say he'd be even better than he is right now.

Lots of players benefit from being the best player at a club rather than having to share the stage with someone else.

Not all these clubs have the best footballer in the world to feed off though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Thats a great penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That was a shocking penalty decision imo.

• Advertisement

God I love this club and this player. Great game, great performance and it's been won by the greatest player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Difference is though Ronaldo is the main man at Real.

Imagine a whole team set up to get the best out of Neymar I'd say he'd be even better than he is right now.

Lots of players benefit from being the best player at a club rather than having to share the stage with someone else.

You see I dont think Neymar is the sort of player who can drag a club in the way that Ronaldo/Messi can.
    Zlatan/Suarez are the only players in the world with that ability.
    This is obviously all my opinion and I could easily be wrong.

God I love this club and this player. Great game, great performance and it's been won by the greatest player.

No compliments for Enrique of course! Conversely to Man City, when his team wins, its down to the players and when they lose, its down to the manager!

God I love this club and this player. Great game, great performance and it's been won by the greatest player from Argentina not named Maradonna or Palermo.

You sir are welcome :D:D

When Messi was out injured for Barca in 2015 Neymar was phenomenal for them. Let's not forget he carried the team back into the game against PSG too.
    Can't see any current player in the sport reaching the level of influences Lio or Ronnie did for their respective clubs. They will indeed be sorely miss- but the next guys will come along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

You all missed out on a cracker in Wales, high scoring one nil win for swansea takes them out of relegation zone.

That performance really was a joy to watch. For me, Barcelona still have a higher level they are capable of than any other side in world football. They just haven't reached it often enough this season.

Im going to go out on a limb and predict 6 nil, Real will try lay down a massive marker on this one with progress in CL all but confirmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Lol.

1-0 already.

James or OG.

2 mins, well Tony at least you can claim the title of worst English manager in Spain, honestly thought Gary would never lose it

If watching anyone outside the top teams in the premiership makes you a masochist then watching barca and madrid continually bludgeon most all and sundry makes you a sadist.

Ugh, let the thrashing begin, 2-0.

This could be more than a cricket score.

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Ugh, let the thrashing begin, 2-0.

I think my 6 nil might not have been high enough. Time to watch something else

GreNoLi wrote: »
    If watching anyone outside the top teams in the premiership makes you a masochist then watching barca and madrid continually bludgeon most all and sundry makes you a sadist.

Villareal were more than in the game until Suarez scored that goal. Barca were visibly struggling at the time.

This Real match though will be a farce. Chewing Barbed wire might be more entertaining.

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »
    Villareal were more than in the game until Suarez scored that goal. Barca were visibly struggling at the time.

This Real match though will be a farce. Chewing Barbed wire might be more entertaining.

One of Tony Adams' many vices.

The depth of this madrid side is truly obscene, three up with half an hour gone.

Yep, six nil was a modest prediction, 0-4.

I know it's only two games but is Tony Adams trying to make Gary Neville look good? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

With all due respect, Gary Neville took over one of the biggest clubs in Spain and a team that had finished fourth the season before and were in the CL. Tony Adams took over a team that were all but relegated and have been battling relegation every year since they came up (they've finished 17th, 15th, 15th, 17th, 16th).

Neville messed up way more than Adams has. Not that I rate either as managers.

With all due respect, Gary Neville took over one of the biggest clubs in Spain and a team that had finished fourth the season before and were in the CL. Tony Adams took over a team that were all but relegated and have been battling relegation every year since they came up (they've finished 17th, 15th, 15th, 17th, 16th).

Neville messed up way more than Adams has. Not that I rate either as managers.

Curse you and your reasonable point. My point was that I felt Granada were better. Crap, but better. Yeah though when you put things in those context it's not really possible for him to emulate Gary Neville and possibly not even fair to the make comparison.

Catalunya Radio reporting that Barcelona are considering Thomas Tuchel as next head coach of Barca. They are a serious source and now my heart is all a flutter and I can't sleep.

Marcelino the new boss at Valencia.

A bit of a strange one. He's definitely a competent manager and has a good track record but, iirc, he left Villarreal 'cause he had a run-in with the board and the current Valencia board isn't exactly an easy one to get on with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Madrid are signing 16 year old Vinicius Jr from Flamengo. e45 million, e30 million of that up front.

Hasn't played a senior game for Flamengo yet.

• Advertisement

Thought they would've learnt with Lucas Silva.

Hes not a similar player to Silva though, more Neymar from my brief looking him up

Was referring to the big money hype move, especially cobsidering the guy's career so far.

Was referring to the big money hype move, especially cobsidering the guy's career so far.

Ah sure they wouldnt be the big two if they didnt sign the latest wonderkid
    Remember Kerrirson :D
    For me they put the big money in early to stop the other from poaching the player in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

:mad: that Real goal... wtf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

:mad: that Real goal... wtf

How was that allowed.

• Advertisement

A disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

The ref was even blocking the keepers view, disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

ebbsy wrote: »
    How was that allowed.

Why wouldn't it be? You can take a quick free kick anywhere else on the pitch.
    Sevilla should of had someone on the ball straight away

If the ball was spaced on the correct spot and the referee did not gesture to wait for his whistle then it should be allowed imo. Then again I am incredibly biased I believe the team that wins the free should have every possible advantage given that a foul is meant to penalise the other team. Put it another way, if quick frees aren't allowed then it's even more advantageous to a team that employs fouls cynically.

It looks like from the replay though the ball wasn't on the spot. A Sevilla player moved it with his foot, or did he place it on the correct spot. I don't think he did. Ref had his back turned too. He was blindsided.

me89 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't it be? You can take a quick free kick anywhere else on the pitch.
    Sevilla should of had someone on the ball straight away

It was mental quick, but mainly, the ref was in the way of the keeper's view.

• Advertisement

The ref was even blocking the keepers view, disgusting

Did not realise that. :(

SlickRic wrote: »
    It was mental quick, but mainly, the ref was in the way of the keeper's view.

So what should have happened? What was the resolution? I mean by the laws of the game it was a legitimate goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

So what should have happened? What was the resolution? I mean by the laws of the game it was a legitimate goal?

Laws aren't set in stone, they're to be interpreted by a referee and he should have had the common sense to not allow that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

What laws of the game? It's up to refs how they interpret them, if he is blocking the keeper's view then it should be retaken.

Like the other poster said, refs should interpret the rules based on their common sense. For example, tackling using excessive force is a red card offence, what is excessive force is for refs interpretation.

Laws aren't set in stone, they're to be interpreted by a referee and he should have had the common sense to not allow that.

But what is common sense? I mean would Real not feel hard done by having a legitimate goal ruled out in such a pivotal game. It was a very intelligent, quick thinking. Just like Giggs' goal against Lille

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    What laws of the game? It's up to refs how they interpret them, if he is blocking the keeper's view then it should be retaken.

Like the other poster said, refs should interpret the rules based on their common sense. For example, tackling using excessive force is a red card offence, what is excessive force is for refs interpretation.

Maybe the ref saw it as common sense to accept that Real had used a smart act of improvisation to score. Seville gave away a free kick on the edge of their box. They shouldn't be spared mercy just out of sentiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I don't think it should have been allowed as the Seville player touched the ball before Nacho took it ? *

*guessing

But what is common sense? I mean would Real not feel hard done by having a legitimate goal ruled out in such a pivotal game. It was a very intelligent, quick thinking. Just like Giggs' goal against Lille

The ref needs to be aware if his positioning has given a team an unfair advantage.

It's a simple solution.

I can also guarantee they took it quickly as they saw the ref was slightly unsighted.

ebbsy wrote: »
    I don't think it should have been allowed as the Seville player touched the ball before Nacho took it ? *

*guessing

I am sure more qualified people than me will give a run down on it's legitimacy! It seems for all the worth that it is fair from what I can see though?

Navas.
    Stunning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement