Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Superthread 2016/17

Comments

• This could have easily been posted in the humour thread
    Disgraceful behaviour

https://twitter.com/FootyHumour/status/866376369026064385

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    This could have easily been posted in the humour thread
    Disgraceful behaviour

https://twitter.com/FootyHumour/status/866376369026064385

Barca and Real players get penalties for fúck all, and there's just too many examples now.

If you knew you'd a good chance of getting a penalty for a falling over, it's too tempting with so much on the line, to just do it.

It's part of what often makes La Liga difficult to watch IMO.

• SlickRic wrote: »
    Barca and Real players get penalties for fúck all, and there's just too many examples now.

If you knew you'd a good chance of getting a penalty for a falling over, it's too tempting with so much on the line, to just do it.

It's part of what often makes La Liga difficult to watch IMO.

What irks me is its equally as bad in the CL also.
    One of the most pathetic dives all year above tho.
    Interesting that the PL is bringing in sanctions, but any word of the Spanish FA doing the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm worried for AIG's welfare. Dissapointed I didnt find him explaining how Alba WAS fouled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Did Alba dive though or kick the ground? Neymars was pathetic and sums up the mindset of himself and Suarez. Can't watch the links on my phone but my thought at the time was Alba tripped himself up rather than diving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What irks me is its equally as bad in the CL also.
    One of the most pathetic dives all year above tho.
    Interesting that the PL is bringing in sanctions, but any word of the Spanish FA doing the same?

Yes but barce and real are exempt for 2 years :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I think I heard Spain are bringing in the video ref we were told by a certain someone Real would vehemently resist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Did Alba dive though or kick the ground? Neymars was pathetic and sums up the mindset of himself and Suarez. Can't watch the links on my phone but my thought at the time was Alba tripped himself up rather than diving

He must have got his studs caught in the ground and thought he was fouled as there is no other real explanation.
    It cant have been a dive as it was so outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Bridge93 wrote: »

That's the mentality of Barcelona. I've seen Messi trip without a player within 3 metres. He didn't react, but every other play stuck a hand up and looked at the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Looked like a left footed player trying to shoot on goal with his right foot and get it all wrong, dat Alba "dive"
    But i really dont want to put money on it that it wasnt a dive when it is happening in that league.

Something is really ****ed up with refereeing in general.
    Players are almost forced to go down if i look at 3 incidents involving Nicolai Jorgensen of Feyenoord.
    1st one wast away to Sparta, shirt pulled clearly visible for everybody but he doesnt go down, no penalty
    Since that one, he did go down in 2 similar shirt pulling incidents, both got him a penalty. The guy is 6'3'' 83kg and wouldnt go down from a bit of shirt pulling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Sampaoli leaving Seville for Argentina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I hear Sampaoli is leaving Seville for Argentina.

EDIT: Oi, where did the other ones go!?

Bit of an echo in here today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I've heard it twice myself.

Sampaoli leaving Argentina for Seville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,849 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

aerolineas-argentinas-725x320.jpg

Argentina_COVER.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Friendly little mod nudge,

As traumatic as it may be Sampaoli is leaving and there is nothing that can be done about it. Please no more echoes of despair. :)
    Billy86 wrote: »
    I hear Sampaoli is leaving Seville for Argentina.

EDIT: Oi, where did the other ones go!?

The, er, sheep ate them.
    >.>
    <.<

Some sad news ,former Sky Sports presenter David Bobin has died at the age of 71.

He was Sky's first presenter of La Liga back in the 90's ,when it was sponsored by Sol.

He seemed to make a comeback on Sky Sports News in the last few year ,may he rest in peace.

That really hurt Mascherano worst part was when Gerry pointed out how he lost conscious before he hit the ground. Then I was that part of the landing. :(

Messi with a beaut then Hernandez with an arguably better beaut.

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »
    Messi with a beaut then Hernandez with an arguably better beaut.

Two cracking goals ,Hernandez may never hit a better free kick again.
    Very enjoyable game so far

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Harsh on Alaves. Great run & killer pass by Messi. May have killed the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Some sad news ,former Sky Sports presenter David Bobin has died at the age of 71.

He was Sky's first presenter of La Liga back in the 90's ,when it was sponsored by Sol.

He seemed to make a comeback on Sky Sports News in the last few year ,may he rest in peace.

I remember he presented a half hour news show on Sky Sports in the pre Sky Sports news days.

I always liked him seemed like a quality old school broadcaster who just did his job quietly and effectively and had no annoying characteristics like most broadcasters these days do.

Some fans are starting the demolition work on the stadium already it would seem!
    Its the last match at the calderon tonight, Atletico are moving to a new 70,000 seater stadium on the other side of Madrid next season.
    Fantastic atmosphere there tonight.

Ernesto Valverde the new Barca manager.

Not a good appointment in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

callaway92 wrote: »
    Ernesto Valverde the new Barca manager.

Not a good appointment in my eyes.

Why not?

Why not?

Never ever found him to be a good coach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I don't think he's a bad coach. He's done well at Bilbao, with the obvious restrictions in place, and he successfully managed Olympiakos, a club that similarly demands unrivalled success in their league. He has European experience, he's won trophies.

Played under Cruyff so I'm sure all the Barca fans will be creaming themselves about having someone who knows the Barca way. He's got three of the top five players in the world in his front line, too, so I doubt he'll have too much trouble.

A "meh" appointment.
    If for Sampaoli had been appointed, things would have changed and i would be curious on how things would have developed.
    I guess i have to save that curiosity for Argentina now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Tuchel and Spalletti both have become available since this morning, Barca could have went down a different avenue under either coach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Tuchel and Spalletti both have become available since this morning, Barca could have went down a different avenue under either coach.

I never got the Tuchel love, but I like Spalletti

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

irishman86 wrote: »
    I never got the Tuchel love, but I like Spalletti

I dont think either would have been on Barcas radar anyway, but both, IMO, would be a step up over Valverde.

Interesting summer ahead for Barca, apart from their forward line, theyre a clear second to Real across their squad but if it wasnt for some abject home performances, Messi nearly fired them to domestic glory.

I dont think either would have been on Barcas radar anyway, but both, IMO, would be a step up over Valverde.

Interesting summer ahead for Barca, apart from their forward line, theyre a clear second to Real across their squad but if it wasnt for some abject home performances, Messi nearly fired them to domestic glory.

I personally see this the start of Madrid dominating at home, like you said Valverde isnt really all that, A yes man for me.
    Id love to see them go get a super star but I cant see who they will go after.

Still think Barca's first XI, RB aside, is stronger than Real's. Sure they should have won both Classicos. And for times in those games Madrid's midfield was visibly struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Just bought a Real Betis Season ticket for next year. 195 euros, lower tier behind one of the goals, look out for an Irish Flag that will pay homage to the legendary Don Patricio.

• Advertisement

Think he only brought his Chelsea and Man City jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

pjohnson wrote: »
    #FreeAIG

The Saudi's are a tough bunch of lads, but not even Saudi Arabia can hold AIG for long. Freedom!!!

On a different note, have we all reached the required excitement level for a Barca side coached by Valverde and with Verratti in the side next season?

The Saudi's are a tough bunch of lads, but not even Saudi Arabia can hold AIG for long. Freedom!!!

On a different note, have we all reached the required excitement level for a Barca side coached by Valverde and with Verratti in the side next season?

Id be excited for that if there was any chance of it happening. Not Valverde mind, for me hes a yes man.
    See he may have handed in a request, maybe it could happen

• Advertisement

Big news coming out of Spain this morning. Spanish prosecutors have filed a lawsuit against Cristiano Ronaldo for alleged tax fraud of 13 million (!) Pound. Anyone that's followed football financial scandals will know that this should come as no surprise, Ronaldo being a client of Jorge Mendes. Looking forward to some Ronaldo tax memes popping up any day now...

Always had the thought when i saw any Ronaldo fan bashing Messi for the tax troubles he was in, to be careful.
    Messi wasnt the first and Ronaldo wont be the last getting in to that crap.

Earning so much money from so many different sources, a "mistake" is always around the corner.
    Wouldnt put too much blame on the players themselves (but am very much ok with them paying the consequences) either as i can hardly imagine they fill in their papers themselves.

inforfun wrote: »
    Always had the thought when i saw any Ronaldo fan bashing Messi for the tax troubles he was in, to be careful.

Earning so much money from so many different sources, a "mistake" is always around the corner.
    Wouldnt put too much blame on the players themselves (but am very much ok with them paying the consequences) either as i can hardly imagine they fill in their papers themselves.

I wouldn't argue with any of that and honestly it mirrors my thoughts on the topic too. Still, that didn't stop people here and elsewhere bashing a then 18(?) Year old kid about his taxes being wrong. Here's a man at a more mature age, a far larger amount of money and with an agent who has a history of dodgy financial dealings, I look forward to the same people bashing Ronaldo as they did Messi.

That is not how it works so dont hold your breath :D

Big news coming out of Spain this morning. Spanish prosecutors have filed a lawsuit against Cristiano Ronaldo for alleged tax fraud of 13 million (!) Pound. Anyone that's followed football financial scandals will know that this should come as no surprise, Ronaldo being a client of Jorge Mendes. Looking forward to some Ronaldo tax memes popping up any day now...

Luckily for Ronaldo, all negative press about him gets quickly hushed away and swept under the carpet...

inforfun wrote: »

I'd more or less agree, players have to be accountable for those they associate with and put their trust in. That said, if there's anything to Ronaldo's as there is to Messi's the worst I could see happening for either would be a 'surprise' transfer out of the country to a Bayern, PSG, City, Man Utd, etc. I don't see authorities seeing it any other way than there being far too much at stake to risk the reputation of football in Spain, a bit similar to when they ordered all the blood samples be destroyed found a few years ago during the Lance Armstrong/cycling scandal.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that's my guess on how it goes even in a 'worst case' scenario.

I wouldn't argue with any of that and honestly it mirrors my thoughts on the topic too. Still, that didn't stop people here and elsewhere bashing a then 18(?) Year old kid about his taxes being wrong. Here's a man at a more mature age, a far larger amount of money and with an agent who has a history of dodgy financial dealings, I look forward to the same people bashing Ronaldo as they did Messi.

He isn't guilty. Messi is. Looking forward to him being guilty just to get one over on a few forum posters seems a bit odd, for someone who has such a love for football!

Ronaldo is innocent until presumed guilty. (Though I wouldn't be slightest bit shocked if he is found guilty). Messi has already been convicted of fraud.

Such a damning indictment of the sport if its two big superstars are both convicted tax fraudsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Ronaldo, the real GOAT, greatest of all tax-evaders.

• Advertisement
Advertisement