Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay as you go roaming

Options
  • 14-08-2015 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am travelling to the UK for a couple of days and am trying to find the best PAYG roaming rate for data. I am currently with 48 months and they don't support roaming data, so I will just get a temporary SIM from whatever network that gives the best data deal for PAYG roaming. I don't need voice or text as I can do all my communication by data.

Normally when I go on holiday I get a meteor Sim and use their €15 for 1GB offer. But as I am only going for a couple of days this time, I was trying to find something a bit cheaper as I won't need 1GB. I reckon 500MB will be more than enough. Vodafone's Red would be ideal as it gives 500MB data for €1.99 per day, but this is only available on billpay. I have had a quick look at the Voda and Three and can't see anything to beat Meteor's 1GB for €15. Does anyone know of any other options?

Thanks,
    Bajer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

http://www.three.ie/eshop/phone-plans/add-ons/

500MB €4.99
    Prepay customers, you can use your top up and add ons when you’re on a Three sister network. It's free to receive calls and text messages and your data usage will be charged just like in Ireland. So you can wave those homesick blues goodbye!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Cheers Davy, that was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I went to get a Sim from them but they are looking for €10 for the Sim, so I will probably be better off just getting the free Meteor Sim and going for their €15 for 1GB deal. Thinking about it a bit more, I might need the extra data as I am going to a festival so there could be a lot of photos getting uploaded and maybe the odd periscope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Being totally honest, I found the €20 Three Pay deal the best. You've got a couple of gigs of internet available to use as you choose (if I recall, it was 7.5GB). It's the best out there at the moment.

On the other hand, buy a Three UK SIM for fifteen pounds and get as much as you want in terms of internet data, calls and texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Being totally honest, I found the €20 Three Pay deal the best. You've got a couple of gigs of internet available to use as you choose (if I recall, it was 7.5GB). It's the best out there at the moment.

On the other hand, buy a Three UK SIM for fifteen pounds and get as much as you want in terms of internet data, calls and texts.

Thanks, but how are either of these better than the Meteor €15 for 1GB of data?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CVB

Just to let you know Vodafone RED Roaming is for Pay as you go & Billpay Customers with 500MB Data Roaming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I am on TESCO MOBILE PAYG. I Will be in UK for a month. Any suggestions (I am total dinosaur and know nothing about mobiles/roaming/etc!) for the most economic options to use in UK for the month?

I was thinking just to buy a PAYG sim in UK for UK calls, but will need to be in touch with elderly parents (they have landline and no PC) regularly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

I got a giffgaff sim for hols in UK last year. Plans were best value I could find at time. I think I even got some quidco cash back on it. I signed up online and sent it to address of where I was staying a few days before I travelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

It's unlimited data in the UK with Three Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

aonb wrote: »
    I am on TESCO MOBILE PAYG. I Will be in UK for a month. Any suggestions (I am total dinosaur and know nothing about mobiles/roaming/etc!) for the most economic options to use in UK for the month?

I was thinking just to buy a PAYG sim in UK for UK calls, but will need to be in touch with elderly parents (they have landline and no PC) regularly too.

It looks like a key requirement is low cost voice calls? If you get a UK SIM, your parents will have to pay high rates to ring you on a UK mobile number. Meteor have free incoming voice calls when roaming in Europe. If your parents have a mobille, they may already have free minutes to Irish mobiles. If not, just get them an Irish Meteor SIM with unlimited voice calling for €10 and neither of you will pay a cent more for those calls.

Meteor also have a good deal on data roaming - €14.99 for 1GB over 30 days.

I wouldnt recommend roaming with Three. Their native coverage in the UK is the worst of all the networks and when you fall of their network you will be charged full roaming rates of €240 per GB! (Same as Tesco)

Advertisement