Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using GELS on long runs

Options
  • 14-08-2015 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm relatively new to running, having only taken it up in a serious way in the last 12 months. I'm currently training for the DCM and my long runs at the weekends are starting to become a bit more challenging for me.
    I decided to purchase some gels [SIS GO isotonic energy] last week to use with my 12 mile run on Saturday. I have previously never used gels before and I purchases these ones in particular because it said on the pack that water was not needed with them.
    Anyway after taking my first [and only gel] at around 6 miles I started to feel really sick, like I was going to throw up or something. I eventually had to stop running [a first for me] and walk for about a half mile before managing to get going again, but I was never really able to get back into my stride again and ended up feeling bad after my run rather then my usual happy self after completing another run on my way to the DCM.
    Has anyone had a similiar experience or am I doing it wrong!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭ratracer

I found with gels that I had to try a lot of the different brands before I found one which suited me.

Buy one or two gels from different brand to try out, in the end high 5 worked for me, I can't stomach many of the others.

HTH, and happy running!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FeenaM

Felt the same after trying SIS and high 5 gels but found the kinetica ones fine, nearly a treat :-) so as above, just try more until you find one that works for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FeenaM

Felt the same after trying SIS and high 5 gels but found the kinetica ones fine, nearly a treat :-) so as above, just try more until you find one that works for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

+1 to High Five but that is a very personal choice. I also prefer to drink some water to dilute and aid transport of the gel. Worth experimenting at this stage to see what works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I use High5 but cant stomach any of the gels with caffeine in them. Its good to practice taking them in training as you don't want the unexpected surprise of a bad reaction to gels during a race, especially when there are no portaloos in site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭BIRDCAGE1

Thanks guys for all the replies, I have been going on the assumption that all gels were pretty much the same, guess I was wrong. I have my long run this evening, so that gives me time to get a few of the other brands and try them out.

...... on a completely different topic: does anyone find it hard to find places to run on their long runs - I usually end up doing laps of my local park [in swords] after I've run all my usual routes up to about 6/7 miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

BIRDCAGE1 wrote: »
    I usually end up doing laps of my local park
    I'd personally find that soul destroying.
    From Swords there should be plenty of other options - the likes of Newbridge house and even down around Portmarnock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Could also run down seatown road, along the estuary, up yellow walls road or old yellow walls road and then along the sea front or into the castle park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Hijacking the thread. There's a few routes around Swords I use.

1. Out to Malahide and back. This can be extended along the coast road to the end of Portmarnock. Sometimes I detour via Malahide Castle or down by the estuary. A small amount of the path in between Swords and Malahide isn't well lit at night, I usually step out onto the road if it's dark. All the way to Portmarnock and back is around 13 miles.

2. Up to the airport (and beyond). A little hilly, and the road can be a bit noisy, but otherwise grand. To DCU and back is around 12 or 13 miles. I've occasionally run through the airport to add on a couple of miles.

3. Head through Applewood, up to the Rathbeale Road out towards Rolestown, and turn back when the path ends. Not well lit in parts.

4. Down through the valley, up to Rivervalley, Ridgewood, Boroimhe, Airside and Holywell.

5. The Fingal 10k route (more or less). The roads in the country don't have paths or lighting, but there's not that much traffic on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I don't use gels very often but I've found the Clif one to be the nicest. A bit like curd in consistency but not too sweet.

• Advertisement

I went for a long run on Saturday and used a different gel this time [high 5] and it definitely didn't feel as bad as the previous week, not brilliant but not as bad. I will try another one next week. ...... but to be honest I'm not sure it actually made any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I went for a long run on Saturday and used a different gel this time [high 5] and it definitely didn't feel as bad as the previous week, not brilliant but not as bad. I will try another one next week. ...... but to be honest I'm not sure it actually made any difference.

Assuming you are fully carbo loaded, they won't make a difference on training runs because you have enough stored glycogen to last you about 20 ish miles but they might make a difference over those last 6.2 miles on the day itself.

That's why you practise- to see which gels might suit your stomach, not because you need the energy on training runs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

menoscemo wrote: »
    Assuming you are fully carbo loaded, they won't make a difference on training runs because you have enough stored glycogen to last you about 20 ish miles but they might make a difference over those last 6.2 miles on the day itself.

That's why you practise- to see which gels might suit your stomach, not because you need the energy on training runs.....

I'd say that they are worse than not necessary, they are counter-productive, since they will ensure that you don't gain any fat-burning adaptation advantages. Essentially, you're training yourself to have a (uneccessary) dependancy on having gels for long runs (and races).

(None of that applies if the OP is going to be running 2:40 or faster for the marathon!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Enduro wrote: »
    I'd say that they are worse than not necessary, they are counter-productive, since they will ensure that you don't gain any fat-burning adaptation advantages. Essentially, you're training yourself to have a (uneccessary) dependancy on having gels for long runs (and races).

(None of that applies if the OP is going to be running 2:40 or faster for the marathon!)

I'd agree it's best to find a gel that suits and then not take any again until Marathon day itself. It's best not to take gels on every long run but it's also important for a new runner to find which gel suits them best.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'd agree it's best to find a gel that suits and then not take any again until Marathon day itself. It's best not to take gels on every long run but it's also important for a new runner to find which gel suits them best.

Yup, fully agree with that. Aim not to use them, but know what works if you do need one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Only gel Ive been able to stomach is 'Viper Active' which I found in Boots, they go down far easier for me than other brands, not as gloopy if thats a word. At 2.69 each you will be detered from going through too many!

I've never felt the need to use gels, but as I started running longer distances added with that, lots of research online about running I was seeing and reading more things about gels. So I decided to give them a go.
    It makes sense to me (after reading the replies on this thread) to know what I can handle and have some on me just in case I feel later on that I may need it on the big day.

I would love to be doing a sub 2.40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

Enduro wrote: »

Could you elaborate on the last line please ?

RuMan wrote: »
    Could you elaborate on the last line please ?

Some interesting recent research being done on fat burning adaptation showing that well trained and adapted athletes were able to sustain a pace equivalent to about a 2:40 marathon using fat as fuel without any glycogen depletion of significance. (I'll see if I can dig up a video on it).

2 implications that could be read into that are that (1) an athlete running faster than that pace will be likely to burning glycogen rather than fat, and therefore would likely need to consume some carbs/sugars if they're going to be running at that pace beyond the time their glyocgen store can sustain, and (2) anyone running slower than that has the potential to tap into using fat as fuel and as a result be able to run effeciently for extremly long periods of time without needing any food/fuel.

Edit... here's a good talk by Tim Noakes which covers this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Other options exist if the OP wants to stave off the glycogen depletion devils.

I started out bringing a few fruit pastilles with me which were perfectly fine up to about 16 miles. After that I did try the gels, but still use them very very sparingly.

Then there are sports drinks (not for me but I know some people find them great), sports beans, chews, glycogen sweets, etc. Some of the old school guys talk about surviving on fig rolls and flat coke :D

Take a look at the alternatives and you might find something surprising
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

A bottle of lucozade sport half diluted with water does the job.

It's what I use for my 20 milers

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭netmann

...... on a completely different topic: does anyone find it hard to find places to run on their long runs - I usually end up doing laps of my local park [in swords] after I've run all my usual routes up to about 6/7 miles?

Estuary out to Malahide and unto Portmarnock. Lovely scenery along the coast! Loop up old Dublin rd, into Airside, into Rivervalley and back into Swords via Eddie Rockets. Some runners in Swords head over to Howth for hill running.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I tried a few gels, but I hated them. Someone advised me to try jelly babies or jelly tots, which I find much better for any hunger pangs etc.

Advertisement