Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland current account opening - unable to offer facilities !

Options
  • 14-08-2015 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I am Irish and have always held a BOI account without issue. Myself and my wife have just moved back to Ireland and it is her first time here.

Obviously she needs a bank account as she intends to start working asap, we also wanted to open a joint account. We went about gatering the necessary proofs needed etc. We scheduled an appointment at our local branch and were told everything was in order, and that the accounts would be open within a matter of days.

After a week had pasted and we had not heard anything, I decided to call. I was asked a few further questions about my existing current account and the line of business I was in. I answered all questions promptly and was told I would receive a call within 2 days. I heard nothing.
    I waited a week and called again. This time I was told that I would need to write a letter stating that I would act as guarantor on my wifes account if it went into minus, which i did.
    I waited over another week before I started calling again. I was informed no decision had been made yet. After another week I received a call to say both accounts had been refused and that no reason would be given.
    I suggested that if there were any concerns over any movements in my existing account that my accountant was on hand to verify. This offer was rejected.

Seems unfair to say the least. I guess BOI has lost 2 customers for life.

Any advice please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

I am Irish and have always held a BOI account without issue. Myself and my wife have just moved back to Ireland and it is her first time here.

Obviously she needs a bank account as she intends to start working asap, we also wanted to open a joint account. We went about gatering the necessary proofs needed etc. We scheduled an appointment at our local branch and were told everything was in order, and that the accounts would be open within a matter of days.

After a week had pasted and we had not heard anything, I decided to call. I was asked a few further questions about my existing current account and the line of business I was in. I answered all questions promptly and was told I would receive a call within 2 days. I heard nothing.
    I waited a week and called again. This time I was told that I would need to write a letter stating that I would act as guarantor on my wifes account if it went into minus, which i did.
    I waited over another week before I started calling again. I was informed no decision had been made yet. After another week I received a call to say both accounts had been refused and that no reason would be given.
    I suggested that if there were any concerns over any movements in my existing account that my accountant was on hand to verify. This offer was rejected.

Seems unfair to say the least. I guess BOI has lost 2 customers for life.

Any advice please?
    Hi mickmadoodle,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

We are sorry to hear you are unhappy. Can we ask you to send a DM with your full name and the branch you went into to open these accounts?

Thanks,

Tara C

Advertisement