Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone ¾ Marathon, Sunday 4th Oct 2015 at 10:30am

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

vanderlyle wrote: »
    I did Moone last week. 16 miles at my target marathon pace. I'm looking to do something similar here. As I'm a novice, my MP is (hopefully) a touch on the conservative side, because I just don't know what those last few miles will do to me in the marathon. So it's a pace which enables me to get the MP miles done in Athlone without killing myself ahead of Dublin.

For someone who is faster, more experienced, and in tune with their marathon pace, I don't think they'd consider running all of this at MP, and definitely not racing it flat out. It's too much and too close.

But the 3/4 is a far tougher route in my opinion. I see where you are coming from regarding conservative marathon pace but I would seriously think twice about running it anywhere near marathon pace.

Why would you want to do nearly 20 miles at MP? That's just way too much in my opinion. Save yourself for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

How are people who are doing the Dublin marathon treating this race? Will any of you be racing flat out?

I was thinking of 6 miles @ MP+1minute followed by the balance (say 14) @ MP? With Dublin 3 weeks away would this approach be too agressive?

There's been a bit of discussion on this over on the Mentored Novices Thread about this. You can't go wrong with this advice from Myles Splitz and whoopsadaisydoodles

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97214373&postcount=5510

I'm aiming for a 4 hour marathon so I'm going to do Athlone with the 4 hour marathon pacers doing it @ 9:40/mi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I did Moone last week. 16 miles at my target marathon pace. I'm looking to do something similar here. As I'm a novice, my MP is (hopefully) a touch on the conservative side, because I just don't know what those last few miles will do to me in the marathon. So it's a pace which enables me to get the MP miles done in Athlone without killing myself ahead of Dublin.

For someone who is faster, more experienced, and in tune with their marathon pace, I don't think they'd consider running all of this at MP, and definitely not racing it flat out. It's too much and too close.

I won't comment on the MP debate, but being a local man the route is challenging to be honest with minimum flat bits, your constantly up and down for the 19 plus miles and that is going to take it out of you 3 weeks from DCM. On route alone i'd be erring on the side of caution.

But the 3/4 is a far tougher route in my opinion. I see where you are coming from regarding conservative marathon pace but I would seriously think twice about running it anywhere near marathon pace.

Why would you want to do nearly 20 miles at MP? That's just way too much in my opinion. Save yourself for Dublin.

+1 don't leave your marathon in Athlone, save it for Dublin

Neady83 wrote: »
    There's been a bit of discussion on this over on the Mentored Novices Thread about this. You can't go wrong with this advice from Myles Splitz and whoopsadaisydoodles

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97214373&postcount=5510

I'm aiming for a 4 hour marathon so I'm going to do Athlone with the 4 hour marathon pacers doing it @ 9:40/mi

On Sunday it will be my 4th time running this race. If you can run the last mile at MP your MP is very conservative or you will kill yourself. The finish (just before the nice downhill) is a right bruiser. Normally I agree with Myles but in this case I wouldn't advise treating the race like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

There's a couple of reasons:

It would be my last seriously challenging run before the marathon. After this, the mileage starts to wind down and the only other run of note is one final slow run of 18+ miles. I've been recovering quickly lately and been managing niggles well, so I had thought there's plenty time to get the recovery in and the benefit before Dublin.

It's a confidence thing too for me - sometimes I need the evidence (the finish time) to know that the pace/performance is there.

I didn't realise the 3/4 was significantly harder - thanks for that. And sorry - I meant 16 miles at MP, which again I know, it's still a lot. I'll definitely consider limiting the effort now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I ran the inaugural event (2010) at my PMP three weeks out from the DCM. It took that much out of me that I did virtually no running between then and DCM day itself. In the marathon, I got to 17m before the damage I had done to myself kicked in and I clung on about a minute per mile slower for the remaining 9.2 miles. I had previously completed 22m at my PMP before Athlone (also not advised), so I'm pretty sure I left my marathon in Westmeath as I knew I was capable of getting to at least 22 on target.

It was only when I started to listen to people on here and stopped racing my training runs that I significantly improved my times. By all means if you want a fast 3/4 marathon time, race it, but I can guarantee you from experience that if you do that you will not do yourself justice in the DCM.

For those who have done both the dublin marathon and this, which is the tougher route generally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

For those who have done both the dublin marathon and this, which is the tougher route generally?

Athlone is a tougher route by far, but Dublin is 25% longer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I had a much better experience in Athlone than Dublin last year, but that's what happens when you leave your marathon on the roads of Westmeath :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Glasson Athlone is. That's why it's a great training run for Dublin particular.

There's nothing too bad in it, just a rolling course with virtually no flat running. My favourite course in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Looking forward to Sunday. 4th time doing it. Always a great event.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭086Jazzy

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    anyone got a spare entry going for this?

Hi, I've a spare entry if you need it. Pm me if you're interested

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

Glad I saw this thread now. Hadn't realised it was going to be very hilly. It will be my first 3/4 in preparation for first full thing in Dublin.
    Really looking forward tonit and hear it's a really well organised event.
    I'm disappointed there won't be pacers for anyone whose marathon time is going to be more than 4 hours though. I'd imagine the majority of first timers would fall into that category.
    I'm planning to take it slowly but not sure just how slowly. If my half marathon pace is almost 9 mins/ mile, should I do this at 10 min miles? Or even slower??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Same as other posters, am hoping for a 4 hour DCM (my first marathon) - 5.41km - what pace would posters recommend for tomorrow so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

niallo32 wrote: »
    Same as other posters, am hoping for a 4 hour DCM (my first marathon) - 5.41km - what pace would posters recommend for tomorrow so?

In your case, follow the 4 hour pacers. They will be going 5% slower than Marathon pace.
    In Animella's case, it's hard to tell based on the info posted. It should be about 5% slower than PMP (planned marathon pace) for a steady run, slower again if you just want to run easy.

menoscemo wrote: »
    In your case, follow the 4 hour pacers. They will be going 5% slower than Marathon pace.
    In Animella's case, it's hard to tell based on the info posted. It should be about 5% slower than PMP (planned marathon pace) for a steady run, slower again if you just want to run easy.

Thank for that, will do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

niallo32 wrote: »

I'm in the same boat as you. Hoping to do 4 hours for my first marathon as well.

menoscemo wrote: »
    My last long run which was supposed to be 18 miles went like this
    9:48
    10:05
    10:08
    12:03 uphill
    10:41
    9:49
    10:22
    9:34 downhill
    9:59
    10:03
    10:13
    10:21
    10:56
    13:08 - massive hill
    9:41 - downhill
    9:53
    10:47
    Then 5:41 for 0.5 miles and completely ran out of fuel and walked last half mile. I was quite comfortable until then but suddenly felt really weak

Average pace 10:28
    Should I stick to that pace tomorrow?

If it's coming up your first marathon I would suggest that running the 19.6 miles at an easy pace. That would be a great long run session. Don't worry about the pace and simply keep the effort nice and controlled. That's what I did before my first DCM.

Remember it's a training run! No one remembers their 3/4 marathon PB but we all remember each and every one of our marathon times, paticularly the first. Enjoy it!

• Advertisement

If it's coming up your first marathon I would suggest that running the 19.6 miles at an easy pace. That would be a great long run session. Don't worry about the pace and simply keep the effort nice and controlled. That's what I did before my first DCM.

Remember it's a training run! No one remembers their 3/4 marathon PB but we all remember each and every one of our marathon times, paticularly the first. Enjoy it!
    Yes, first marathon hence all the flapping! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great event again this year from what I seen. Eliud Too was a sight to behold, full ten minutes clear just beyond half way where I was marshaling, looked so effortless. dublin runner had a good crew with him including Bulmers74 who gave me a quick high 5. menoscemo and yaboya1 were guiding a large group to and looked in good shape passing, martastew had a big smile on her face as always pacing her group and was giving plenty of encouragement to.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Runner2012

Super event again this year. But OMG I forgot about those sneaky hills! Thankfully the sun didn't stay out for too long. The drinks/jellies/fruit and general organisation is just amazing. Top class event. Rather pleased with my "gilet" also!!

You need to look at putting one on in early 2016 for the spring marathon build up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Loved it all. Fleece is fantastic. Totally different to the city races I'm used to doing. Legs in a heap, looking forward to some greasy food now!

Sweet cheeses, who put them mountains at miles 17 and 18? I really wasn't expecting them but enjoyed the course.

A great race and so well organised with fantastic support along the way. The marshalls were great with their cheering and the sweet goodies at the water stations were well needed. Well done to all the organisers, pacers and runners :) Last long run wohoooo

p.s. I really liked having our names on our race numbers, having the supporters calling out our names gave a real lift when it was needed :) A thoughtful touch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Really enjoyed today. Had a good bunch with us on the 3 hr pacing. The wind and undulations made it tricky but a solid number stayed the pace. Most of those were on their final run out before Dublin and they'll be all the stronger for todays run.

As usual it was a well organised event. I love that the markers are both in kilometres and miles so you are regularly seeing them and marking progress. The fleece gillet is a nice touch.

edit - results up already - http://www.redtagtiming.com/results/Athlone3Quarter2015.pdf

I'd love to say I really enjoyed it but it was agony from about 20km onwards (had a back strain and couldn't get any spray or gel until 29km).

Taking that out of it, I loved the course itself, hopefully the hills will stand to us in three weeks time.

Every marshal seemed to be supportive and smiling and I loved the water stops with the jellies etc.

Medal and gillet are great too.

Very well organised & well-marshalled event and one I would do again if planning future Autumn marathons. The course is challenging in places but enjoyable. Good spread afterwards and nice to have masseurs on stand-by, and showers.

Kept the pace relaxed, generally 15-20s per mile slower than I had originally intended, and eased off for the final climb. So thanks for the good advice. Resisted the temptation to go with a group who broke away around mile 7. So I didn't kill myself - the legs are not too tired, and very little stiffness.

Conditions were ideal today, hoping for the same weather in Dublin on the 26th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Really enjoyed today. Had a good bunch with us on the 3 hr pacing. The wind and undulations made it tricky but a solid number stayed the pace. Most of those were on their final run out before Dublin and they'll be all the stronger for todays run.

As usual it was a well organised event. I love that the markers are both in kilometres and miles so you are regularly seeing them and marking progress. The fleece gillet is a nice touch.

edit - results up already - http://www.redtagtiming.com/results/Athlone3Quarter2015.pdf

Super running, well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Great event. Really glad I did it. Congrats to the organisers, marshals, water station people and supporters for a great turn out today.

The course is certainly challenging and will no doubt be an asset in the legs for the Dublin marathoners. I'm doing Frankfurt - flat as a pancake - so hopefully the hills today will just make my day feel easier :D

Hugh thanks to Joe and Olwyn with the 4hr pace group. Lots of energy, chat and cheers along the way. I had a blast guys!

On a more sober note, I hope the guy on the ground at 17/18 was okay. He was conscious and had help when we passed, and I know the ambulance passed us heading his way shortly after. Anyone know how he is?

Advertisement