Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone ¾ Marathon, Sunday 4th Oct 2015 at 10:30am

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Emer911 wrote: »
    Great event. Really glad I did it. Congrats to the organisers, marshals, water station people and supporters for a great turn out today.

The course is certainly challenging and will no doubt be an asset in the legs for the Dublin marathoners. I'm doing Frankfurt - flat as a pancake - so hopefully the hills today will just make my day feel easier :D

Hugh thanks to Joe and Olwyn with the 4hr pace group. Lots of energy, chat and cheers along the way. I had a blast guys!

On a more sober note, I hope the guy on the ground at 17/18 was okay. He was conscious and had help when we passed, and I know the ambulance passed us heading his way shortly after. Anyone know how he is?

He seemed fine - was chatting to him briefly after the ambulance arrived and seemed in good spirits

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

Great day, thanks bazman and all involved. Really well organised , lovely route and perfect weather. All went to plan ( such as my relaxed plan was!) and glad I took it easy. Met a couple I know and chatted the whole way round so didn't notice the hills too much.
    Felt grand at the finish. Glad i stopped for a slice of fruit cake at the last food/ drink station, I was really getting peckish and it definitely helped me keep going!

The ambulance was just getting to that guy when I passed, Emer 911. He looked dazed , hope he's OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congrats and well done to all who ran yesterday.
    Mr Stew and I had a wonderful day pacing the 4 hr group with so many strong steady runners and they will all reap the rewards of that tough run in 3 weeks time.

My 3rd time running in this event and it seems to get better every year, the volunteers and marshals are so, so friendly and the local support is also a joy. Wonderful scenery (easier to enjoy when pacing as opposed to racing it) and the water/food stations are YUM!

Tang, we ran by a sign with your name on it and I thought of you, I don't know which marshal you were but they were all friendly and smiley so thanks (and sorry for throwing a water bottle at you ;) )

With regard to the guy who was unwell, Mr Stew stopped as we are First responders, he was very disoriented, possibly dehydrated but nothing too serious hopefully.
    Enjoy the taper and see you all in Dublin in 3 weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Marthastew wrote: »
    Mr Stew and I had a wonderful day pacing the 4 hr group with so many strong steady runners and they will all reap the rewards of that tough run in 3 weeks time.

My 3rd time running in this event and it seems to get better every year, the volunteers and marshals are so, so friendly and the local support is also a joy. Wonderful scenery (easier to enjoy when pacing as opposed to racing it) and the water/food stations are YUM!

Tang, we ran by a sign with your name on it and I thought of you, I don't know which marshal you were but they were all friendly and smiley so thanks (and sorry for throwing a water bottle at you ;) )

With regard to the guy who was unwell, Mr Stew stopped as we are First responders, he was very disoriented, possibly dehydrated but nothing too serious hopefully.

Thanks for the pacing marthastew, I was with the 4 hour group at the start and broke away a little only to be caught at those dreaded hills just before the finish! "Car, car... keep left!!" :D

Just curious about what time you guys finished in. As advised I stayed well behind you!
    My friend however went ahead of you but was chastened to be overtaken a couple if miles before the finish. She heard someone ( you?) saying " I want you to overtake five
    people" and suddenly she had fallen behind. A lesson in pacing I guess.

Am still feeling fine today - was afraid I'd wake up in bits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I was just beyond half way at a crossroads with bright yellow jacket on, no bother about the water bottle i have had worse thrown at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AlsoRan

Third time running this race and loved it yet again. I find the atmosphere great, the hills tough and enjoy the enthusiastic support from the marshals and spectators. The refreshment tables are great, just focusing on that every four miles whiled away the time. My only slight grievance is the cars going alongside the runners on that last section before the hotel. I am a slower runner and a lot around me were flat out and some struggling with injuries and having cars so close to you on a narrow road at that point wasn't great. Maybe the organisers could look at traffic control at that point for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Thanks for the feedback guys.

As discussed, I would echo the recommendations to run this cautiously. It is the perfect prep as last long run pre Dublin, but only if you do as a controlled run. I would recommend about 90-92% of planned marathon pace, maybe picking it up for the last few miles.

Will take the feedback on board, particularly re 4:30 pace group - we will definitely have a slower group next year to ensure folk aren't over running at race pace to keep with 4 hour group.

There is a thing re perception of hills - it has only marginally more hills than Dublin, but there is something about country roads that you really notice the undulations. There is also something about having the main hill at mile 18 :-) City road hills are more gradual, but they are still there :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

Great event as ever! Managed to say hello to Marthastew, Mr Stew & menoscemo beforehand & had enough time for a coffee & a jog around the hotel.

My last visit to Athlone for the half-marathon was not a happy one so was a bit nervous about the run. Had a good covering of pain-killer gel on one hamstring & my plan was to run with the 3h pace group 'til at least the half-marathon distance & then see how I was fixed.

The guys leading the group were great, kept things nice & steady and built up a bit of a cushion for the nasty hill at the end & more importantly told us so! Thanfully everything held together for me so was happy out at the finish.

Were there really choc ices at one of the aid stations!? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great race yesterday. I can't think of much that can be improved.
    I was pacing the '3:30' group and we had lots of very sensible people running with us, unlike previous years hardly anyone dropped back and most were able to push on over the last few miles.

It was also great to see Pauline Curley at the top of the final hill having finished 40 odd minute before. It's not often you get cheered on by an Olympian :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

My 3rd time running this race and the best yet for me.
    The weather was perfect, cold and dry.
    I managed to run progressive negative splits in the 3 'quarters' and didn't cramp up like I did last year although the race results seem to have skipped the first section split for some reason.
    The race gave me a real confidence boost ahead of Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Thanks to all for the great feedback on our 3/4 Marathon on Sunday.

As Bazman said, we will look to put on a 4h 30' Marathon pacer next year too as we are always looking to improve where possible.

Lots of race photos now up on Outfront FB Page

Good luck to all doing DCM, NY and other marathons in the near future :-)

Excuseless wrote: »
    Thanks to all for the great feedback on our 3/4 Marathon on Sunday.

As Bazman said, we will look to put on a 4h 30' Marathon pacer next year too as we are always looking to improve where possible.

Lots of race photos now up on Outfront FB Page

Good luck to all doing DCM, NY and other marathons in the near future :-)

Great news about 4:30 pacer, thanks. I found my own 4:15 ish pace on the day but there were definitely plenty participants who would be looking for times between 4:00 and 4:30 hrs.
    The photo link doesn't seem to be working- or is it just my phone?
    Thanks again guys, I'm feeling so much happier and confident about my chances of finishing my first DCM, Sunday was great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Thought I was seeing things when the placename of Tang popped up on a sign as we passed by with our pacer train. Funny that. Had to look it up to confirm. Would be a cool address.

Tang is a full village and a half-parish in County Westmeath, on the N55 national secondary road between Athlone and Ballymahon, County Longford. Tang is in the parish of Drumraney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Thought I was seeing things when the placename of Tang popped up on a sign as we passed by with our pacer train. Funny that. Had to look it up to confirm. Would be a cool address.

Tang is a full village and a half-parish in County Westmeath, on the N55 national secondary road between Athlone and Ballymahon, County Longford. Tang is in the parish of Drumraney

You wouldn't believe the amount of people think I make that up when I say where i'm from, 'Sure what kind of a name is that, that's in Japan or somewhere'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Advertisement