Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat sits on roof of my car

• 15-08-2015 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭

I bought a house recently and moved into an estate. A few of the neighbours own cats and one of them has taken to sitting on the roof of my car. Does anyone have any suggestions of ways to stop the cat doing this. I'm concerned that its nails will scratch the paint on the roof. I know someone whose pet cat damaged the paint on the bonnet of his car.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I bought a house recently and moved into an estate. A few of the neighbours own cats and one of them has taken to sitting on the roof of my car. Does anyone have any suggestions of ways to stop the cat doing this. I'm concerned that its nails will scratch the paint on the roof. I know someone whose pet cat damaged the paint on the bonnet of his car.

It is no longer your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Some sort of citrus spray, they don't like it. Had great success with orange peel around a potted plant our cats where fond of sitting on and play fighting on, nearly wrecking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I would try washing the car with a car wash that had some sort of smell/perfume in it, the stronger and more citrus the smell the better.

Edit> Also try a washer bottle additive for the windscreen that has a strong smell and then remember to give the windows a wash whenever you park the car up at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Boruma wrote: »
    <snip>

It's the cats car now

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

I'm a cat owner and they sit on my car and the neighbours. I would suggest just "shooing" it away every time it comes in your garden.

If it doesn't get the message then maybe a bit of water. Don't go overboard tho just enough to get it to run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Another tip I discovered by accident, they sit on cars for the residual heat in the metal, put something that takes the heat of the sun nearby, mine discovered that a piece of discarded insulation was warmer and started napping/sunning themselves on it rather than the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

<snip>

Do you seriously think that directing people to this makes not posting a link okay?
    It amounts to the same thing.
    If I see anything vaguely like that being posted here again, there will be an automatic permanent ban issued. I don't know what would make you think that this link is anywhere near vaguely appropriate for here. Ridiculous.
    DBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

my3cents wrote: »
    <snip>

Don't do it even with a sense of humour. Nothing funny about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

my cats used to sit on the cars at our house but as has been said up above, we made a nicer spot for them to sit that would be warmer with a bit of packaging foam and an old cushion under a bit of shelter and they wouldn't look twice at a car now.

don't chase them away while they're on it. guaranteed they'll scratch it while freaking out. they generally won't actually do damage just by sitting on it so just wait until they're about to jump up and scare them away a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'll try some of those citrussy smelling suggestions first and see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks,
    I'm starting to get really, really tired of people thinking it's ok to come into the Animals and Pets Forum to advocate throwing water at cats, and worse.
    Let me make it clear... What you do to deal with cats in your own time is your business. But this forum will NOT be used as a medium through which to advocate such things.
    If you want to advocate flinging water at a cat or worse, go find a forum that's ok with that, or start your own blog.
    The next poster that advocates anything beyond a mild stream of water towards a cat, will be banned. I've had it up to my eyes with this crap.
    A number of posts will now be deleted.
    Thanks.
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

A spray of something similar to this around the car, should be able to find it in hardware/garden and/or pet stores.

cat-repellent.jpg&w=800&h=750

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I hadn't thought of putting something on the ground around the car. That'd do too wouldn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭thereitisgone

Would really go for the window washer suggestion, have bought window washer before with very strong citrus smell, really think that would deter the cat.

Advertisement