Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishkeeping remineralisation salts

Options
  • 15-08-2015 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Newbie brewer here. I wonder if anyone could shed some light on this idea:

I want to brew specific styles of beer, but for that i would ideally need specific water (hard for stout, soft for pilsener, etc).

If i were to get some reverse osmosis water (zero minerals at all, blank slate) from my local fishkeeping shop, and then add fishkeeping remineralisation salts in the required amounts, is it possible that i could recreate the exact type of water i need for any one beer?

Has anyone done this before, is it safe? I assume its safe, as it would kill the fish if it wasn't, but any advice is great.

Regards,

CC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭neoanto

I would not assume that if its safe for fish its safe for human consumption!

If you are brewing from extract or doing kits, using RO water on its own is fine.

If you are brewing from all grain, then you can start out with RO water, then using minerals ( which you should only purchase from a homebrew shop), to build up the water as required.

Look for a water primer by AJ Lange online, its just an excerpt from an article from him that gives you all you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

neoanto wrote: »
    I would not assume that if its safe for fish its safe for human consumption!

If you are brewing from extract or doing kits, using RO water on its own is fine.

If you are brewing from all grain, then you can start out with RO water, then using minerals ( which you should only purchase from a homebrew shop), to build up the water as required.

Look for a water primer by AJ Lange online, its just an excerpt from an article from him that gives you all you need to know.

well have a look in the nationalhomebrewclub.ie website, have a search for water, lots of very helpful information there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

All you'll ever need to know about brewing water is here:

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Invest time into figuring it out, as there is a bit of a learning curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Newbie brewer here. I wonder if anyone could shed some light on this idea:

I want to brew specific styles of beer, but for that i would ideally need specific water (hard for stout, soft for pilsener, etc).

I would get good at brewing first. Then when you can find faults caused by the mineralisation levels of your water, experiment with changing the minerals.

I've brewed lagers, stouts, wheat beers what have you with moderately hard water and all have been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

neoanto wrote: »
    which you should only purchase from a homebrew shop
    By that he would mean fit for human consumption, you might find an alternative source at a fraction of the price of homebrew shops for some foodgrade chemicals. Especially those usually sold in small quantities in homebrew shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I would get good at brewing first. Then when you can find faults caused by the mineralisation levels of your water, experiment with changing the minerals.

I would second this, salt additions and specific water treatments are really only a fine tuning. Get the you core brewing solid, no infection or off flavours and then more towards this

Advertisement