Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for backend developer to join team - Well past idea stage

Options
  • 15-08-2015 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi everyone,

I have seen all the criticism here of people here posting about looking for a developer. This is a very different proposition to what is normally posted as we have 90% of the work done on the app and are looking for someone to join a team.

- ~10,000 lines of code total completed. Well commented, modular & extensive debugging completed (Android and iOS)
    - Cordova/Angular/Ionic frontend
    - Node.js backend
    - app is broadly in the 'communication' field

We are preparing for investor pitches at the moment and are looking for a developer experienced in node.js particularly. The developer would need to be in a position to work part-time for a period without payment (to help complete the final 10%) and willing to commit to taking a full-time role in the company for a discounted salary in exchange for equity.

I would prefer not to share too much specific information publicly. If anybody thinks they would be interested in such a proposition can they pm me please and we can talk more about the specifics.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Your advert suggests that your previous developer is no longer working with you. Why not if you're so close to the finishing line?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 trep15

Graham wrote: »
    Your advert suggests that your previous developer is no longer working with you. Why not if you're so close to the finishing line?

Replying to you by pm now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

trep15 wrote: »
    The developer would need to be in a position to work part-time for a period without payment (to help complete the final 10%) and willing to commit to taking a full-time role in the company for a discounted salary in exchange for equity.
    I'd advertise on the Developer Board as the skills you're looking for are not really mobile, but Web related, and that board has more traffic.

The only thing I would recommend is that you can define what "part-time for a period without payment" when talking to a potential candidate. Even if a developer knows how long it'll take to do a piece of work, they won't know how long it will translate to in reality, once you take into account change requests and the like. If you can manage this estimate, you'll help manage the most volatile risk they will face considerably.
    trep15 wrote: »
    Replying to you by pm now
    Unless you and the developer parted amicably or because they took on a full time role elsewhere, I'd be very careful about giving any details on this even by PM as they can still constitute liable. Do not discuss it if you had any kind of falling out.

I'd advertise on the Developer Board as the skills you're looking for are not really mobile, but Web related, and that board has more traffic.

The only thing I would recommend is that you can define what "part-time for a period without payment" when talking to a potential candidate. Even if a developer knows how long it'll take to do a piece of work, they won't know how long it will translate to in reality, once you take into account change requests and the like. If you can manage this estimate, you'll help manage the most volatile risk they will face considerably.

Unless you and the developer parted amicably or because they took on a full time role elsewhere, I'd be very careful about giving any details on this even by PM as they can still constitute liable. Do not discuss it if you had any kind of falling out.

The dev forum charter bans the advertising of work for equity jobs. I can understand why with the number of 'I have a fantastic idea for....' posts, at the same time there's been a couple of recent posters with well formed/researched/resourced ideas from people with significant experience in their industries that might have been of interest to some of the devs lurking around these parts. That's not to say I'm endorsing this particular project, I don't know enough about it to form a judgment either way.

The OP has explained in PM why the initial developers are no longer in the picture, on the face of it there's nothing untoward and nothing libellous.

OP, thanks for the PM and apologies for not responding. I'm not in a position to explore any additional projects at the moment. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Graham wrote: »
    The dev forum charter bans the advertising of work for equity jobs.
    I didn't know that.
    I can understand why with the number of 'I have a fantastic idea for....' posts, at the same time there's been a couple of recent posters with well formed/researched/resourced ideas from people with significant experience in their industries that might have been of interest to some of the devs lurking around these parts.
    I agree. I started a thread on this a while back and it is a pity that those posters who make the effort to do the research and not simply appear with an 'idea' end up penalized. Unfortunately, the response it got was that the Muppet-to-serious-startup is so high that it's not worth the effort to allow them for what is ultimately a small minority of requests.
    The OP has explained in PM why the initial developers are no longer in the picture, on the face of it there's nothing untoward and nothing libellous.
    'On the face of it' does not mean it is not libelous. Even if not - that it any accusation can be legally proven - it still is open to a libel case being taken out, especially if they manage to get funding, because then they're worth suing. Irish law is quite punitive in this regard.

And if above board and no one's fault, it's probably better saying so publicly - after all, how many now suspect that there was a nasty falling out? It would put many people off.

It's just a bad idea to discuss these sort of things, TBH.

• Advertisement

'On the face of it' does not mean it is not libelous. Even if not - that it any accusation can be legally proven - it still is open to a libel case being taken out, especially if they manage to get funding, because then they're worth suing. Irish law is quite punitive in this regard.

There were no suggestions that the relationship with the original developers ended on bad terms at all, I must admit that was my initial assumption too. It appears it was just a commercial arrangement that came to its natural conclusion and I suspect the OP is now looking for a developer with a bit more invested in the project.

I agree that OP would be better to clarify that side of things, based on the initial post its hard not to jump to the conclusion that something went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 trep15

Hi Guys,

Sincere thanks for the advice. Taking it into account, maybe it is better for me to outline the situation with the other developer:

- We have paid someone else to do a lot of the basic work on the base of the app (keeping the original features of the app to ourselves) and are now working on improving his code and adding the original features in private.

Advertisement