Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Tri

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

Wave 4 for the Olympic. I imagine the bike course will be pretty congested at this stage, any sections in particular to be careful around? The turn at Chapelizod gate is sharp enough.

Any tips from the more experienced for the swim/run?

Is it worth doing a recce of the run course?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Same wave as me. Bike course is grand, two tight left hand turns at the bottom of hills, one at Chapelizod gate (I think this is what it's called, usually a one way entrance to the park) and one before you turn to go up the Kyber. Only other real part of note is a 180 degree turn on Chesterfield avenue. other than that it's a fairly straight forward bike.

Run is a new course but does have a bit of the old course included, when you turn into the park off the main road you will start to go up a decent enough hill. Other than that it's flat enough if a bit slow because of the grass and muck you will be running through.

Definitely get out on the course if you can, nice to know what's coming in the race. And remember to count the laps on the bike, 5 times up the Kyber, leaving the park after the fifth one. Lot of people mis count!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Joey1000 is it your own bad if you do an extra lap?
    What about doing a lap less?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    Joey1000 is it your own bad if you do an extra lap?
    What about doing a lap less?

Yep, a lap less and you get a DQ a lap more its your own fault but you get a time.

If you miss the exit you have to complete an extra lap, turning back to exit gets you a DQ too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Pretty much what 68 lost souls said, up to yourself to count. It's 5 times up the Kyber pass, when you go up the fifth time you leave the park towards the end of the lap, it will be sign posted, at the end of one of the hills it's a right turn instead of a left turn. Have seen people use 5 blue tack balls on their bike, 5 strips of tape, and they take one off every time they go up the Kyber. If you have a bike computer or speedo you will know to leave the park when you have done around 39km on the bike. It's really not that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

That would be a pain in the ass. Luckily I am only doing the SuperS this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Wave 3 ☺
    Still nurturing a piriformis so my run will be slow slow slow but I'll take that over DNF any day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 day walker101

Hani Kosti wrote: »
    Wave 3 ☺
    Still nurturing a piriformis so my run will be slow slow slow but I'll take that over DNF any day!

thems fighting words :D

Looking at the race belts they are giving out with gel holders in it. Has anyone ever used these before? How secure are the gels in it? Would be worried about them falling out on the bike.

Looking at the race belts they are giving out with gel holders in it. Has anyone ever used these before? How secure are the gels in it? Would be worried about them falling out on the bike.

where did you see these?

• Advertisement

These should work just fine, I have had gels pop off in the past on various belts so its usually pot luck. As a result I will now always tuck them into a back pocket on my tri top, never use a belt to hold them anymore. Plus I always found them uncomfortable jostling around. Personal preference etc.

Previously I have tried different things so far, tucked in the tri suit I was nervous on the bike of losing them, taped to the top tube worked alright.

Last time I left one in my runners and when I came back to T2 popped it in the tri suit for the run. Don't want to forget its there though, thought perhaps it would be convenient to leave them on the race belt.

Previously I have tried different things so far, tucked in the tri suit I was nervous on the bike of losing them, taped to the top tube worked alright.

Last time I left one in my runners and when I came back to T2 popped it in the tri suit for the run. Don't want to forget its there though, thought perhaps it would be convenient to leave them on the race belt.

In theory it is and for the most part should be fine but like I said, I've had them pop of loads of times and nearly done a hamstring turning to pick it up in motion. Assume you're doing the Oly?

Yep, only my second Oly and the run on the first one nearly killed me. Wouldn't be thinking about gels for the SS really.

Yep, only my second Oly and the run on the first one nearly killed me. Wouldn't be thinking about gels for the SS really.

why not get your gel in on the bike (mixed with water is how I do it) means no tearing open wrappers when cycling, then take 1 in T2 before you set off and that should be enough. Do you need another one on the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Just stick a gel either side in the legs of your bib shorts, handy to get to when on the bike and no faffing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

If you must consume gels at all (over this distance, really?) please remember to dispose of the wrappers properly. It really galls me to see them along cycle routes, just before the turnabout on the avenue seems to be the favourite spot in DCT.

Hit one of those in slippery conditions and you could go down hard. If you can carry the full gel out of T1 you can carry the empty to T2.

cjt156 wrote: »
    If you must consume gels at all (over this distance, really?) please remember to dispose of the wrappers properly. It really galls me to see them along cycle routes, just before the turnabout on the avenue seems to be the favourite spot in DCT.

Hit one of those in slippery conditions and you could go down hard. If you can carry the full gel out of T1 you can carry the empty to T2.

Nice and condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

AFAIK in previous years the turnabout on the avenue is where the designated litter zone has been.

But you are right - if you can't dispose of properly whilst cycling then stick it up your shorts leg till T2 (or after the race)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Nice and condescending.

Not at all. Contained in most race briefings. Unfortunately us triathletes can be mucky pups.

Oryx wrote: »
    Not at all. Contained in most race briefings. Unfortunately us triathletes can be mucky pups.

No I'm all for that, it was the "really" about using gels in Oly. Each to their own and all that no?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

No I'm all for that, it was the "really" about using gels in Oly. Each to their own and all that no?

He is right. Gels are not required at this distance. And no its not each to their own. Sometimes somethings are simply wrong.

a04440_4d70d3e5e9464546a24573c9bfd9df15.png_srb_p_653_440_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srb
    Exercise <30min
    If the exercise is less than 30 min there is no need to take in any carbohydrate. There is little or no evidence that carbohydrate intake or a mouth rinse does anything. It may not harm, but there does not seem to be a need.

Exercise 45-75 min
    When the exercise is a little longer, say 45-75 min and it is “all-out” for that duration, performance will benefit from either carbohydrate intake or a carbohydrate mouth rinse. What is best depends on the practicalities of ingesting carbohydrate. Sometimes it is easier to simply rinse and sometimes it will be just as easy to swallow the carbohydrate solution. The types of carbohydrate does not seem to matter much here.

tunney wrote: »
    He is right. Gels are not required at this distance. And no its not each to their own. Sometimes somethings are simply wrong.

a04440_4d70d3e5e9464546a24573c9bfd9df15.png_srb_p_653_440_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srb

Your opinion. Moving on

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

tunney wrote: »

I don't get how your diagram supports your argument. An oly race will take approx 2-3 hours depending on how quick you are. The chart you have highlighted recommends 30-60 g CHO per hour for this duration of excercise, so about 90-120 for oly distance or 3-4 PowerBar gels. This seems excessive to me, but nothing only water for an olympic distance? I wouldn't be doing it that's for sure!

Were you confusing SS with the oly race?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Nice and condescending.

Believe me, I'm in no position to be condescending!:D

Believe me, I'm in no position to be condescending!:D

I just though the 'really' was unnecessary, ignore me I'm having a grumpy day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Your opinion. Moving on

Science's opinion. Metastudy on effects of Carb mouthwash vs. ingestion during exercise.

I take gels during races, less and less over the years though. Lately I've squirted iso drink during trans instead and have noticed no adverse effect (in fact times have got quicker).

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Hold on there! That study you linked to doesn't support not taking a gel for an oly race.

What it says is that there is a fairly modest increased power output for the same RPE when using a CHO mouthwash vs a placebo mouthwash. Also, the report notes "it has been noted that the prior fasting period might be required for a postive effect of the mouth rinse", which is not really applicable to your average triathlete.

Also, none of these studies compared mouthwash to taking gels, only to placebo. Even further, all studies had excercise of approx 1hr duration "it is prudent to also point out that spitting out CHO/fluid replacement drink may... jeopardise performance during events lasting longer than 1 hr (i.e. an olympic distance race).

I think you need a better paper

• Advertisement

Well last Oly my leg went into spasm due to depletion of nutrition and I'll be looking probably about 3:15 (longer tougher course this time) this time compared to 3:00 in the last one (1:10 run)

I stuff my empties down my tri suit normally to avoid littering. In Belfast I took two on the bike and one at about 4k on the run.

Advertisement