Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Tri

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I saw a guy stopped trying to stretch his back on the run course... either it was you stevo or you werent the only sufferer!

I was nervous as a kitten on rollerskates for the twisty section of that bike, and my time reflected it. Otherwise I'm happy enough and I loved the whole course. I like laps! It wasnt cold even though we were soaked, and Piranha did a great job running the show. And the goodybag was simply epic. Ahhlll be back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

A tough day at the office all around. Was looking forward to re swim but ended up slower than expected. Took way too long in transition but wanted to make sure in the day that was in it that everything correct.

Felt the bike slide on a few corners first lap so eased off on those corners next few laps. Same corner I saw one of today's crashes later hope everyone is ok.

Didn't enjoy that that run course. Nearly went off for an early shower but decided I had come that far I may as well finish.

Big thanks to the marshals for braving the weather. Well done on another well organised event, can't plan or the weather but having use of the boat club helped to get changed into something warm.

Might argue that foil blankets at the finish like in Belfast would have been warranted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Very well organised event. As others have said, water was lovely, caution on the cycle. Didn't enjoy the muck on the run- should have worn trail runners. Rear Gear cable snapped after 2 laps, so had to struggle up kyber 3 times in the hardest gear.
    Free 99 at the finish was lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Great event but unreal rain...non stop.fair play to the volunteers. Did the supersprint and was delighted with my result despite the conditions. I'll definitely be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

So enjoyed that, first one and albeit conditions not ideal but loved every minute of it. Water was lovely as I had anticipated after seeing it yesterday, swimming still definitely the toughest for me but just got through it.

Really impressed by the running of it, all the volunteers did an amazing job and so friendly and encouraging throughout. Hopefully my first of many tri's and definitely be back next year for the same again, but hopefully much improved, and drier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fiftyplus

Did the Olympic for second successive year - some difference in weather! Swam too conservatively, biked tentatively and ran just Ok on cross-country course but ended in one piece so happy enough despite my time. Superbly run and organised event - hard to fault!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Good craic out there today, going into the day with no real goals other than to finish & have fun makes for an enjoyable experience. Thanks as always to the volunteers, whatever about us competing in the wet, it can't have been fun to man a corner or side road in that weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Seems as if the supersprint results are still not uploaded
    http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/race-results.php?event=2054

the others are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Great day, despite the weather.
    Piranha nailed it as usual, though the new race director obviously forgot to appease the rain gods.
    Took it easy on the corners on the bike, hope those who came off are OK.

Is it weird that the driest and warmest I felt all morning was in the Liffey...?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Its all fun and games until you nearly get wiped out by a herd of deer. Scary moments for all involved...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

+10 on the piddling rain for the whole day but a good day personally. Fantastic organisation and enthusiasm from volunteers in the rain. Best goodie bag in racing. Puts the €80 Dublin Marathon to shame. (Anyone remember the bag with toothpaste and mustard in it? Thanks, I'll scoop the mustard into my mouth on the run but still finish minty fresh...)

15 minute improvement on the swim on last year (wouldn't be too hard and I'm still slow but getting there)
    T1 was pretty good - Had to stop after the mount line cos someone's arm sleeve had caught in my cassette carried from transition so a bit slow to start on the bike.
    Bike was like Bambi on ice for the first lap and a little easier for the rest. Being in the last wave for the Oly meant my last lap on the bike was a pretty lonely affair. Felt the effort wasn't being rewarded. Must convince the wife I need to upgrade to a bike that goes whomp whomp when passing peasants like me
    T2 was slower than I would have liked as I tried to clean the mud and stones from my feet before putting my runners on. Not easy with a sopping wet towel
    Run was a solid just-under-46 minutes but that's where my strength/experience lies. Those first 2k uphill are pretty cruel
    Overall a half hour off last year when I was winging it

Still, a long winter in the pool to bring that time down to something more respectable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I always loved DCT. Sounds like it has just gotten better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Oryx wrote: »
    I saw a guy stopped trying to stretch his back on the run course... either it was you stevo or you werent the only sufferer!

Na wasn't me mate. I managed to get around without stopping.
    Thankfully nobody can tell when you're crying in the rain ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Shame CAT1 could only muster 14 ladies for this race - nat champs and all, says a lot about the depth of women's triathlon in Ireland.

Good and all Carolyn's race was we still have no credible backup to Aileen Reid should something happen to our #1.

On the plus side, good performance from Russell even if it meant missing Sweden to compete.

Great to see this event go from strength to strength, a real high water mark for race organisation in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Quality event. Really enjoyed it despite the weather.
    The swim was good, one kick in the nose, T1 was slow T2 was better and the cycle was controlled. For my first SS I am happy out with my time of 1hr. Any idea when all the results are out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭tommy_tucker

Where can the official photos be found??

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    Quality event. Really enjoyed it despite the weather.
    The swim was good, one kick in the nose, T1 was slow T2 was better and the cycle was controlled. For my first SS I am happy out with my time of 1hr. Any idea when all the results are out?

All results seem to be up now.

http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/

Just select your race from the dropdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

Cracking race. First time doing it and it really is the benchmark in how to organise a race. In and out of registration in under 2 minutes with a nice new kit and goodie bag that were worth the race entry alone. Spotted teams of volunteers sweeping pebbles and debris off the road as I was driving away. Great to see. Well done Piranha tri.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

First of all thanks and well done to anyone and everyone who was volunteering at that yesterday. They had to stand around in the rain for far longer than we got to compete in it, fair play to them.

I had a good enough swim, faster by 2 minutes than my previous best at DCT (and if there is any OW course that is exactly the same year on year this must be it!).I was in Wave 2 and tried to follow the fast fellas for a tow but I couldn't and from 600m on it seemed I was on my own apart from the odd Wave 1 straggler (in fact 4 of us finished within 18 seconds of each other with no one within a minute either side of us).

Crap T1, I struggled to get the suit off over a Garmin 310 which I didn't use on the swim and only really need for pacing the run. Silly.

On the bike I probably took it too easy especially early on when there was more room on the course. By the time I got brave it was very busy. 3 minutes slower than previous but I can put that down to being over cautious.

The run was more cross country than I expected and I was slow as the muck and grass sucked on my legs. I pushed it on the Chesterfield Ave sections. Still I ran a minute quicker than last year.
    Overall 1:19 slower than my previous best, and most of that down to being crap in T.

I was too wet and cold to hang around at the finish but I got back to the Garda club and a change of clothes in time to to see the Cat 1 lads exit the swim and see how T1 should be done.

I've done this 4 years in a row and it is consistently excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

MalDoc wrote: »
    All results seem to be up now.

http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/

Just select your race from the dropdown.

Get in there ya boy ya! happy out 4th in age cat and 18th individual home. I'll take that.
    I'm coming for you Kevin Thornton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Really enjoyed yesterday, first Olympic distance event.

I hadn't trained enough in the pool or on the bike over the last month and got bad cramp on my calf.

Thought Piranha did a great job despite the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

My highlight has to be figuring out the banging coming from the back of the car was the bike I'd forgotten to close the straps on the carrier for clinging on for dear life as I headed down the M50.
    Pulled over as it was hung on the tip of the nose of the saddle
    Two years in a row now I've done that now. Gob****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Was up all night puking from both ends...:o anyone else have aftereffects? It's either the Liffey or I'm boycotting a Wexford restaurant I ate in yesterday...

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Was up all night puking from both ends...:o anyone else have aftereffects? It's either the Liffey or I'm boycotting a Wexford restaurant I ate in yesterday...

Three in my family have had this recently, I know many others too. None of whom ate in Wexford nor swam in the Liffey.

Maybe it was a bug you picked up from your slow wetsuit? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

tunney wrote: »
    Three in my family have had this recently, I know many others too. None of whom ate in Wexford nor swam in the Liffey.

Maybe it was a bug you picked up from your slow wetsuit? :)

Might be some general bug alright. I guess its a little quick for anything water-based to appear.

Crash diet this week should trump the slow wetsuit. Its not all about the swim Dave ;)

Feeling rough today myself. Not as bad as you from the sounds of it but not feeling great, stomach in bits and feeling a chill.

Feeling rough today myself. Not as bad as you from the sounds of it but not feeling great, stomach in bits and feeling a chill.

Thats cause its fvcking freezing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

I'm in bits today, puked last night and awake with stomach cramps. I did the bull wall last night and it came on when I got home so dunno it its the Whiffey or the Irish Sea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

2 or 3 from my club the same. Myself included. All fine until I lay down at 11, then bam, gawks like sledgehammers until 8am.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Thats cause its fvcking freezing out.

Not the most pleasant of topics so I've used spoiler tags.
    That's true but the cold outside wont explain what happened to the poor person in work that uses the jax after me today :o

Was fine last night, did a hard session in the pool but woke at 6 with cramps and feeling nauseous but didn't actually get sick. The other end though hasn't been great today.

Advertisement