Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Tri

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Water tests done a few days prior are irrelevant, given the weather subsequently. And we were warned and/or already know the risks. You take them or you dont. Unfortunately a few of us seem to have lost the gamble, but going out on a bike in that weather was also risky (a few went down). Id rather entrants were given an educated choice rather than see races cancelled. I mean, its not like we have actual clean rivers to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I get a kebab after a night out, I might get the sh1ts.
    I swim in the liffey, I might get the sh1ts.

Thems the odds

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jimmyc147

Podge83 wrote: »
    That's is my point - and I'm only throwing it in to the ring - and I could be completely wrong! People almost expect to be sick after this race.

Piranha simply set out various precautions and warnings before the race. Surely, if the Liffey is a "sickness causing" environment moreover any other "fresh" water location in Ireland human beings shouldn't be allowed in to it in the first place to for an activity where ingestion of the water is practically unavoidable.

I didn't do this race this year but have before. Although the organisation is great, it's a race I'm not personally keen on (reasons other than water quality), but I dare say I'll have ago at it again all the same.

AFAIK water quality tests are taken (isn't it in the TI rules) at various stages including the morning of the race and if they fail the required standards - no swim!.

Look, I'm no expert, but when you see it in the race briefing, wetsuit shampoo in the goodie bag, coke and handwash - it brings it more to mind.

Ah yes it was the thought of getting sick is what had me on the toilet every 20 minutes for 12 hours.
    Did the race last year and was fine, this year there is an increasing number of people sick.
    you can put another 2 to the list from my tri club

Think about how skinny (read less overweight) the irish tri community will be after this!

tunney wrote: »
    Think about how skinny (read less overweight) the irish tri community will be after this!
    It should be earlier in the season to help all of us struggling to reach race weight. :)

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    It should be earlier in the season to help all of us struggling to reach race weight. :)

I went down the last two nights for a dip in Islandbridge after reading this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

I got sick from after this race 4 years ago (Lepto), ended up in hospital, IV antibiotics etc. Back then the last water test that was done was mid week before the race. I was given the lab report. You need to know what is actually being tested for before placing any reliance on the results however.

The bottom line is that part of Liffey is a health risk (as is any river, lake etc), based on numbers sick compared other races it appears to be a bigger risk than other places. The same crap gets rolled out to 'doubt' the numbers sick every year. Some years are worse than others and with the rain this year it was always likely to be a bad year.

Personally I think it is irresponsible to have made it the National Championships given the risks involved but as usual, money talks...

I would never do that race again but that's just my opinion. It's easy to say you'll 'take the risk' before you've actually gotten very sick from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

OK, is this race a real health risk (over and above others) due to water quality (and I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong)? If so, (and if more risky following rain this should be considered the default as there is a reasonable chance of rain in this country) serious questions need to be asked.

Leptospirosis and Cryptosporidiosis are serious illnesses after all.

It'll still most likely be voted "Race Of The Year" though (granted the voting here is skewed due to the number of participants).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Personally no I don't think this race is anymore of a risk than any other races out there. Large numbers doing the race, towards the end of a long season for a lot of people going to lead to people feeling unwell after. This combined with the conditions on Sunday, the resulting run off into the water and the bug that seems to be going around has led to people being sick.

I've said it before but I pretty much grew up in the Liffey, know of lots and lots of people who have spent time in it and on it, have instructed hundreds more on the water and I can think of maybe 6/7 people who got weil's disease over the 15 years I was kayaking (one was close friend and one was my brother). If the water quality was as bad as is made out there would be no rowing clubs based on it and it wouldn't have an international standard kayak race finishing at that point. Yes the risk might be less for these but it would still be there. Generally weil's disease is contacted from putting your hands on the grass or rocks on the bank of the river and then using that hand to eat food or rub your face or something. Doesn't normally come from swallowing the water.

I've been sick from river water before but never from the water on the Liffey and I've been on it in all conditions, low, medium and flood. Yep it might not be crystal clear and completely free of anything but don't think it's as bad as people sometimes make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 redzer_irl

I ended up off work last Tuesday with a grave need to be in close proximity to the bathroom. I was trying to convince myself it was something I ate and was thinking of sending DCT an email just in case others had a similar experience.

Judging from the DCT email, it has happened to a few others too:
    "Stomach Issues Post Race?

It has come to our attention that a number of competitors suffered from a stomach bug in the days after the race. Whilst we tested the water quality in advance of the race which was of a very high bathing quality, the heavy rainfall and the consequent run-off from the land may have affected the water quality on race day. It is a well known issue associated with all open water swimming, the issue is not limited to rivers and particularly, it is not limited to The Liffey.

Firstly, we hope that all those who felt ill have fully recovered. Secondly, we would like to collate some statistics on the number of our competitors who did suffer post race, so if you did feel unwell, could you please complete the information sheet here."

I wonder will they be sharing the results of the survey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

redzer_irl wrote: »
    I ended up off work last Tuesday with a grave need to be in close proximity to the bathroom. I was trying to convince myself it was something I ate and was thinking of sending DCT an email just in case others had a similar experience.

Judging from the DCT email, it has happened to a few others too:
    "Stomach Issues Post Race?

It has come to our attention that a number of competitors suffered from a stomach bug in the days after the race. Whilst we tested the water quality in advance of the race which was of a very high bathing quality, the heavy rainfall and the consequent run-off from the land may have affected the water quality on race day. It is a well known issue associated with all open water swimming, the issue is not limited to rivers and particularly, it is not limited to The Liffey.

Firstly, we hope that all those who felt ill have fully recovered. Secondly, we would like to collate some statistics on the number of our competitors who did suffer post race, so if you did feel unwell, could you please complete the information sheet here."

I wonder will they be sharing the results of the survey?

That's a positive approach for them to take. They used to get quite militant when the subject of water quality and post race ****s was raised with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Alasdair

My name can be added to list of casualties from the DCT!!! and I know of one more who suffered as result of the Liffey water.
    I have never experienced anything like it in my life... It started on Wednesday Morning for me and I've been on antibiotics and Immodium since !

I have been swimming in the Shannon, Corrib and many other Lakes and rivers and have never had an outcome like this. Yes all rivers are not 100% clean but it seems to me that the Liffey has to be the dirtiest!

I am gutted for the Pirahna Tri Club as I thought it was extremely well organised.
    - Plenty of pre race info
    - Quick Registration
    - Fantastic Volunteers (Especially in those conditions)
    - An amazing Goodie Bag!
    - Handy Parking
    - Massages and Erdinger after

Can this race not be moved to the coast and make it a sea swim?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

I read in the Herald very briefly there that DCT have said there's a strong possibility that the swim section will be cancelled and it turned into a duathlon going forward.

I really hope this isn't the case. It was my first DCT and only my first triathlon after a tri a tri in athy. I swallowed a gallon of water as my swim was quite poor but luckily escaped any illness.

Hoping to get up to Olympic for next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 day walker101

Nanoc wrote: »
    I read in the Herald very briefly there that DCT have said there's a strong possibility that the swim section will be cancelled and it turned into a duathlon going forward.

I really hope this isn't the case. It was my first DCT and only my first triathlon after a tri a tri in athy. I swallowed a gallon of water as my swim was quite poor but luckily escaped any illness.

Hoping to get up to Olympic for next year!

fyi http://www.herald.ie/news/concern-over-water-taken-seriously-says-liffey-swim-chief-31489134.html#st_refDomain=www.facebook.com&st_refQuery=/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The quality of the water is, unfortunately, one thing Piranha can't control. Would be a shame to see the race changed to a duathlon just because one of the sunday rags decided to sensationalise it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

just because one of the sunday rags decided to sensationalise it.

pretty sure all the people here who got sick can think of a reason outside of the paper writing anything

mossym wrote: »
    pretty sure all the people here who got sick can think of a reason outside of the paper writing anything

I would prefer it remained a tri. I would like to see them attempt more preventative measures like a post swim rinse area rather than converting to a duathlon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I would prefer it remained a tri. I would like to see them attempt more preventative measures like a post swim rinse area rather than converting to a duathlon.

So would I. My point was maybe the club is reacting more to lots of racers being sick rather than some paper article, the former being worthy of much more respect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

The quality of the water is, unfortunately, one thing Piranha can't control. Would be a shame to see the race changed to a duathlon just because one of the sunday rags decided to sensationalise it.

What was the sensationalist article? Don't see anything wrong with the Herald one FWIW.

There isn't a lot more Pirahna can do- they are totally hampered by water conditions on the day. And those conditions are dictated by rainwater and upstream sewage facilities. You could have showers right after the swim exit, coke to drink in T1; many people would still have got sick this year.

Following the example of the Liffey Swim and moving the race downstream isn't feasible as its then time-tide dependent (to say nothing of getting back to the Park). Its a great race, one of the best, but personally I'd think twice about swimming it after similar rainfall in future.

"No man who has faced the Liffey can be appalled by the dirt of another river."
    Iris Murdoch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Its a great race, one of the best, but personally I'd think twice about swimming it after similar rainfall in future.

This sums up my feelings on it as well. Not Piranha's fault at all, and there is little that they can do, but I probably won't be racing DCT again. It's not worth the risk of 5 days off sick just to complete a NS race.

Would love to know the actual percentage of people sick after the event, wonder if DCT will publish this. I had a can of coke (mini) at the bike which I necked after water exit (I do this after most river swims and always have) and no issues after the race or now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    What was the sensationalist article? Don't see anything wrong with the Herald one FWIW.

The one I read on Sunday wasn't sensationalist either, all it did was report that competitors got sick and that the organisers are thinking of changing to a duathlon, pretty matter of factly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

I had a can of coke (mini) at the bike which I necked after water exit (I do this after most river swims and always have) and no issues after the race or now.

Isn't the whole can of coke to kill the bacteria a myth. Technically yes, it would work but need litres/gallons of the stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭The Davestator

According the a link posted on this thread, it is!

I was grand afterwards, so I recommend some beers and a burger. 100% success rate for me so far;)

viperlogic wrote: »
    Isn't the whole can of coke to kill the bacteria a myth. Technically yes, it would work but need litres/gallons of the stuff

Yeah maybe, just throwing in my two cents, something Ive always done and never been ill after numerous river swims. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Would love to know the actual percentage of people sick after the event, wonder if DCT will publish this. I had a can of coke (mini) at the bike which I necked after water exit (I do this after most river swims and always have) and no issues after the race or now.

Supposedly this has no effect. Article up the way a little

Bambaata wrote: »
    Supposedly this has no effect. Article up the way a little

Given the week I had post race, Id try it anyway in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Given the week I had post race, Id try it anyway in future.

Had an awful week also, lost 7 lbs from being sick :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

viperlogic wrote: »
    Had an awful week also, lost 7 lbs from being sick :(

Maybe some of us could have benefitted from swimming in it :D

Advertisement