Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Tri

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Next year, I'll have forgotten the sickness and will do it again for sure. If I remember I'll try & take some precautions but the event is too good & well organised to skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Surprising how quickly you can erase sh!tting fire from your memory......

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Maybe not erased, just looking through rose (or brown) tinted glasses at the good parts of the event.

*sent via my iPhone on the bog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Nothing like a Herald Hack for misquoting a source. I doubt that Piranha have any plans to a duathlon. What I'd bet happened is they said if the water quality failed at short notice they could cut the swim and still run the event as a duathlon.
    I'm pretty sure that's standard procedure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

cjt156 wrote: »
    Nothing like a Herald Hack for misquoting a source. I doubt that Piranha have any plans to a duathlon. What I'd bet happened is they said if the water quality failed at short notice they could cut the swim and still run the event as a duathlon.
    I'm pretty sure that's standard procedure.

Here's the full quote from Bernard Hanratty, chairman of the Piranha Triathlon Club:

"The numbers of people who were ill this year were most definitely up.Our intention is to send out a questionnaire so we can build a database of how many fell sick. Based on that, we'll decide whether to make this event a duathlon with just running and cycling."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Djoucer wrote: »
    Here's the full quote from Bernard Hanratty, chairman of the Piranha Triathlon Club:

"The numbers of people who were ill this year were most definitely up.Our intention is to send out a questionnaire so we can build a database of how many fell sick. Based on that, we'll decide whether to make this event a duathlon with just running and cycling."

I think this is all getting a bit out of proportion. the liffey is obviously not the very best place to swim but this year's issues come form the fact that it was raining, and many races would have had issues with water on that day ( in fact the water at the WTS race in stockholm that weekend also caused many atheltets to get sick).

I think its great that pirahna has decided to be more open about the problem and for people that get easily sick it might not be the best race, but its still an iconic race at an iconic location and i think it should stay a tri and should it rain before the race than they can still decide to cancel the swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

At a duathlon in the park that I was running (yes *that* one) I got beaten by an insect and got a skin infection and was off work for a fortnight and nearly needed hospitalisation. Maybe we should avoid the Phoenix park all together?

Did anyone die? No
    Is everyone better by now? Yes

Build a bridge and GTFOI

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

I did the DCT this year (first year doing triathlons).

I have Crohn's Disease (which has many symptoms but the relevant one to talk about here is a much lowered immune system).

I've been in an out of hospital over the years with this infection, that inflammation, this type of blood poisoning etc etc etc.

I had no illness after finishing DCT, and if anyone was going to be impacted by a crappy quality (pun intended) Liffey it would have been me for sure.

Can't explain why there are so many allegedly being sick after DCT but I don't think it was the water....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

The Rook wrote: »

I have Crohn's Disease (which has many symptoms but the relevant one to talk about here is a much lowered immune system).

I've been in an out of hospital over the years with this infection, that inflammation, this type of blood poisoning etc etc etc.

I had no illness after finishing DCT, and if anyone was going to be impacted by a crappy quality (pun intended) Liffey it would have been me for sure.

Can't explain why there are so many allegedly being sick after DCT but I don't think it was the water....

I don't know where this allegedly is coming from as people were genuinely sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

The Rook wrote: »

Well it's good to see the fine rationale behind your decision making:

"I have a bad immune system
    I didn't get sick
    Therefore everyone who says they got sick must be lying"

Ever think of becoming a homeopathy practitioner? They love anecdotal evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ha. I didnt notice the allegedly. I see your allegedly and raise you 9 rolls of andrex!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

tunney wrote: »
    At a duathlon in the park that I was running (yes *that* one) I got beaten by an insect

I've heard of people getting taken out by deers but insects beating up people? The northside is getting rougher by the day ;)

Re DCT - It's an acceptable risk. Everyone knows about it.

The attitude of the Liffey swimmer sums it up. Throw on the speedos and enjoy it. Sure you could be beaten up by an insect tomorrow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I really hope it doesnt turn into a duathlon. Its an iconic race of the calendar and i was raging i missed it this year through injury

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Swam 3 times this summer further down the liffey and had no horror stories to report. Make it a point not to race DCT with an open cut/wound and try to minimise oral intake of water (practised in the pool by putting in lots of KMs with good form to build swim strength to mitigate wave start scrums), go armed with nose clips if worried about ingress elsewhere. Don't race if feeling poorly and immune system is low, otherwise enjoy the day, take the cola on offer after, and get on with normal race recovery.

Alternatively....well, alternatively.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Oryx wrote: »
    Ha. I didnt notice the allegedly. I see your allegedly and raise you 9 rolls of andrex!

Ok ok ok, I was in a rush posting that so the "allegedly" was in reference the fact that allegedly it was the Liffey that made people sick not that I doubt people were sick!

Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Advertisement