Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft offering free upgrades to Windows 10?

• 15-08-2015 2:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a pop up message offering free windows 10 upgrade.

I just wanna check, is this legit?

Not some malware disguised or something...

Is anyone else getting this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Google's great.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

There are scam emails doing the rounds but the pop up should be fine. Upgraded last week liking it so far.

Just a quick question (I'm not too clued into the whole thing).

Is there a downside to not upgrading? I've got 7 (I think) and it's doing everything I want it to. Can't complain. Perhaps a tad sluggish to start up but once it gets going it's great. Would I be silly to interfere with my set up for the sake of getting 10 for free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Is there a downside to not upgrading? I've got 7 (I think) and it's doing everything I want it to. Can't complain. Perhaps a tad sluggish to start up but once it gets going it's great. Would I be silly to interfere with my set up for the sake of getting 10 for free?

Extended support for 7 runs until 2020 so no rush on changing you'll still get security updates etc. For the vast majority of people the only difference with 10 is that the tiles are now in the start menu. I'm guessing people still won't use them but it looks good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

It will give you an option for one month to go back to win7 if you don't like it.
    I've had no problems with going to Windows 10.

• Advertisement

Ah it seems there's no real downside, so. I've had this PC about 4 years now so will probably replace it in the next year or two and perhaps then 10 will be the bees knees, but at the moment I think I'll just stick to what I know, based on what I've read.

There's no point in me upsetting what I have for the sake of it.

Cheers for the info guys. I appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Sound decision, I rolled back to Win 7 after upgrading to 10. If you have a machine over 3-4 years old and running win 7 fine then I suggest keep it that way.

Newer machines running win 8 or 8.1, its worth upgrading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I had a 4 or 5 year old machine running 7, runs much nicer on 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Newer machines running win 8 or 8.1, its worth upgrading.

.. or just install a 3rd party Start Menu like Classic Shell or Start8. Costs nothing for the former or about $5 for the latter and addresses the main issue with the 8.x line.

Win 8.1 with one of the those and an SSD is probably the best balance between UI, performance, and support for Apps (if that's your thing) and solves the issue of the non-existent Start Menu in 8.x, without dealing with the hybrid version in 10 which - in my opinion anyway - is worse than the 7 version.

Even if you unpin all the apps it still wastes so much screen space in the name of touch-friendliness (bit like most major websites nowadays). My new DELL E7450 has a Full HD Touchscreen but I've actually tapped it maybe half a dozen times since getting it.

If you're using Windows on a tablet then you are better off with 10 in full screen Start mode or just sticking with 8.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Even if you unpin all the apps it still wastes so much screen space in the name of touch-friendliness (bit like most major websites nowadays)
    Bollox. It's got nothing to do with "touch friendliness". Live Tiles when well designed can be more useful than a simple icon/filename that you get in Windows 7.

Touch is a non-issue. The price premium for a touch screen is still a bit much at the lower end, but Windows 10 (and Windows 8.1 for that matter) is 100% touch-agnostic - you can use it if it's there, or ignore it entirely. Eventually, even the cheapest of laptops will have touchscreens, for the same reason that they now come with 1TB drives by default, not because they need them to function, but because the savings in slightly cheaper components won't increase sales - nobody buys a €229 laptop instead of a €249, if it has half the hard drive and half the RAM.

• Advertisement
Advertisement