Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Alienware

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

If he really likes Alienware you could look at letting him choose a nice case for himself. I think it's worth paying for a good case that performs well (cooling, noise) and also looks good. Have a look at NZXT cases some of them are similar to Alienware https://www.nzxt.com/category/products/1-cases

The reason he wants an Alienware is probably because of the case, everything else in the PC you can get everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I remember when Alienware used to be something special... maybe around 2006? I'm not saying you couldn't still have built the same machine for cheaper, but there's no way you'd have found a mid spec graphics card in one then. Everything was SLI/Crossfire and watercooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Happyman42 wrote: »
    :D My son is not one bit happy with the re-emergence of Mammy and Daddy Scrooge!
    Thanks folks

If he's really hooked on that form factor how about spending a few more euro's on a case like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

:D My son is not one bit happy with the re-emergence of Mammy and Daddy Scrooge!
    Thanks folks

Tell him he can get a summer job if he's not happy with what he's getting for free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Steep PSU, should be able to get one for £35-40 but nothing wrong with that one.

Terrorfirmer is selling an i3 4160 for €100 on Adverts, and you should be able to get a 270X off Donedeal or Ebay for closer to €120 if you're not adverse to buying second hand parts.

Everything else is good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

It is, but the build below [from mindfactory.de] is pretty much the same build with a fancier Zalman case, much better PSU (as in high quality components, it's up high on the PSU tier list) and costs E35 less (E55 less if you get the Fractal case).

gJgsEjm.png

Zalman R1 Case - although to keep costs lower again I'd get this Fractal case, it's very easy to build in.

If you do get the Fractal case you can add this to the list on mindfactory - it's the most worthwhile change for general PC use and I'd highly recommend it.

And that'll still be under the E610 budget that those amazon links added up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

grindle wrote: »
    It is, but the build below [from mindfactory.de] is pretty much the same build with a fancier Zalman case, much better PSU (as in high quality components, it's up high on the PSU tier list) and costs E35 less (E55 less if you get the Fractal case).

gJgsEjm.png

Zalman R1 Case - although to keep costs lower again I'd get this Fractal case, it's very easy to build in.

If you do get the Fractal case you can add this to the list on mindfactory - it's the most worthwhile change for general PC use and I'd highly recommend it.

And that'll still be under the E610 budget that those amazon links added up to.

Ok...gonna go with this set-up with the SSD plus add on. Have it all in the basket but the damn checkout page won't translate for some reason, will have another go later.

Typically how long does delivery take with that site?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Teaching your son how to properly use a computer and not to fill it with toolbars, viruses and what would be a good idea. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the build.

Typically how long does delivery take with that site?

3-5 days. Was 3 the last time I ordered.

• Advertisement

Grindle, is there any way to translate that site...a button I am missing?

it's ok...figured it out.
    Thanks

All done - the German elves are packing the box as we speak!

Many thanks again for all the help. If this goes well I may be back looking for advice on a build suitable for a busy graphics office.

I cannot quite believe the uber efficient Germans sent the package to ,

'My street name', Ireland',

No town or county on the address details. :eek:

Delivery delayed until tomorrow.

Any guidelines to follow setting it all up folks?

Not a patch on our postal service! Build it outside the case first to be sure it works

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Not a patch on our postal service! Build it outside the case first to be sure it works

Do people do this as a rule? I never have, though luckily never have had to troubleshoot a new build, they have always worked! I take it that it just rules out any shorting in the case? Any other benefits?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Any other benefits?

Not having to take it out of the case to troubleshoot, just makes things easier to grab at & reseat.

Do people do this as a rule? I never have, though luckily never have had to troubleshoot a new build, they have always worked! I take it that it just rules out any shorting in the case? Any other benefits?

I don't, but to a benginner on your first build I would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Not once in 11 years have I bothered

Well that was fun!
    Although we didn't complete in the time suggested (took a bit of trial and error) we now have a functioning PC. Seems like an awesome bit of kit so far.

Couple of things you may be able to help with:

The Hard Drive is not showing up so far...all connections checked.
    And when loading the graphics card we get the message 'VGA cards of Asus not installed'

Haven't had much time to google the problem yet so may be an easy fix.

The Hard Drive is not showing up so far...all connections checked.
    Does it show up if you go to Disk Management? It might need to be partitioned and formatted.
    And when loading the graphics card we get the message 'VGA cards of Asus not installed'
    Do the GPU's fans spin up on boot? Have you downloaded AMD's drivers and made sure the GPU is enabled in the UEFI and Intel isn't marked as the default?
    And the monitor/TV is hooked up to the GPU?

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    Does it show up if you go to Disk Management? It might need to be partitioned and formatted.

Do the GPU's fans spin up on boot? Have you downloaded AMD's drivers and made sure the GPU is enabled in the UEFI and Intel isn't marked as the default?
    And the monitor/TV is hooked up to the GPU?

Sorted the VGA prob when hooked up to telly...new monitor required.

I take it I will have format disk on another computer? Can't see it at all in Management

There's an unintuitive panel that scrolls on the bottom right of Disk Management - rescan disks and it should be there, ready to partition and format.

All sorted I think.
    Awesome machine...fast and super quiet.

In terms of sense of achievement for both of us it has been great. I think he learned a lot and will continue to learn.
    He has had his mates around and they are impressed too.

Thanks again folks. I will open a new thread for a build I want to do for work, I don't think I would buy an off the shelf PC again tbh...next one will be even easier.

All sorted I think.
    Awesome machine...fast and super quiet.

In terms of sense of achievement for both of us it has been great. I think he learned a lot and will continue to learn.
    He has had his mates around and they are impressed too.

Thanks again folks. I will open a new thread for a build I want to do for work, I don't think I would buy an off the shelf PC again tbh...next one will be even easier.

Isthereanydeal.com is a good way of keeping prices for games down. If he's been on Console then he's going to lose himself over the prices of games. There's also a sale on humblebundle.com at the moment

Advertisement