Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Protection Query

• 15-08-2015 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi

I was wondering if someone could advise best course of action. I bought my house in 2000. with my sister . In late 2005 I re mortgaged the house and bought my sister out. I took out a mortgage protection policy with Aviva for 250k in my own name (mortgage in my name) In July 2008 I got married and we did an equity release of €35k and again took out a mortgage protection policy with AVIVA for 35k . The mortgage remains in my own name . My wife is not on the deeds or mortgage. If I die the policy should repay the mortgage and it is willed to my wife. However if my wife dies I am not "protected" If I cancel my mortgage policies in my own name and take out joint life first death policy is this possible ? Is there an insurable interest issue with doing this?. I am paying circa 32 euro per month on first policy and 110 per annum on second policy. I am 43 in good health no children

Any help/advice very much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

As far as I know the bank won't allow a joint first life death policy unless both policy holders are on the deeds. Best option would probably to take out a life policy on your wife for €285k or whatever you feel you need should the worst happen. €285k for a 41 year old non smoker for 20 years is about €35 or less a month. If you were to transfer the home in to both your names it would cost about €5k to change the deeds to joint ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cossy09

Thanks very much for the reply I will look into that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭3DataModem

You should be able to take out a mortgage protection policy on your wife alone, much cheaper than a 285k non-reducting policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cossy09

3DataModem wrote: »
    You should be able to take out a mortgage protection policy on your wife alone, much cheaper than a 285k non-reducting policy.

Even if she is not on the mortgage?

Advertisement