Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are cats one of the top predators in Ireland

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Cats have been around for so long as to be considered natural at this stage imo.

But not in anything like the numbers we have now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

recedite wrote: »
    I'm just wondering, how do you know the difference between a "feral cat" and a "domestic cat" when its out walking across a field at night?

Its easy enough to tell, they act completely different and when you're used to an area you get to know the local wildlife and cats are no different so you know the pets
    syklops wrote: »
    Well first off, very few hunters hunt at night. Cats hunt at night, humans hunt early in the morning and during the day.

Actually your wrong, you will mostly meet cats when out lamping at night. What your hunting will dictate what time of day or night your out. Most foxes will be shot under a lamp at night as thats when they are most active although they are out during the afternoon and evening this time of year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

aaakev wrote: »
    Actually your wrong, you will mostly meet cats when out lamping at night. What your hunting will dictate what time of day or night your out. Most foxes will be shot under a lamp at night as thats when they are most active although they are out during the afternoon and evening this time of year

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Don't shoot myself, but it is easier to shoot a fox lamping than to shoot one during the day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I've never heard of anyone serious about fox control that doesn't do it at night lamping, and I can imagine you'd come across cats when doing it.

Would you like to try that again or do you actually have an opinion?

Would you like to try that again or do you actually have an opinion?

I said very few hunters. I didn't no hunters.

Can we agree that aside from lampers, most other hunters don't hunt at night?

I said very few hunters. I didn't no hunters.

Can we agree that aside from lampers, most other hunters don't hunt at night?

We are talking about cats here and most lads that would shoot a cat would do it while shooting foxes and lamping.

I think your underestimating how many lads go lamping

Maybe so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

We are talking about cats here and most lads that would shoot a cat would do it while shooting foxes and lamping.

Off the top of my head of all times lamping I've seen maybe two cats at night but all the cats I've shot were all in evening and first thing in morning.
    And I've shot a fair amount.
    Cats aren't pets IMO and should they be out in my lands whether someone claims to own them or not they'll get it. Any farmers I know will tell me what cats to shoot or not. If they tell me they've two cats of certain colour around the yard ad want to keep them around il leave them but anything other than the ones described are fair game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Off the top of my head of all times lamping I've seen maybe two cats at night but all the cats I've shot were all in evening and first thing in morning.
    And I've shot a fair amount.
    Cats aren't pets IMO and should they be out in my lands whether someone claims to own them or not they'll get it. Any farmers I know will tell me what cats to shoot or not. If they tell me they've two cats of certain colour around the yard ad want to keep them around il leave them but anything other than the ones described are fair game
    If you know they are somebodies pet I would not be shooting them. Saying cats are not pets is a bit ridiculous. I have a cat and he's most certainly a pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Its easy enough to tell, they act completely different and when you're used to an area you get to know the local wildlife and cats are no different so you know the pets..
    How do they act differently? A pet cat acts in kitten-like way when its in the house with its owner. Then when it goes outside hunting, it behaves like a cat; it stalks like a hunter.
    So you think you know what pets everyone owns in that area. And you're not too concerned if somebody gets a new pet without telling you, or happens to be looking after somebody else's pet temporarily while the owner is away. Just shoot it. Nobody will find out who did it anyway, just another pet animal gone missing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Mod Note: Okay, I think this thread has long run its course at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement