Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

simulated insurance cost for new biker

• 15-08-2015 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Guys,
    Can somebody help me to simulate how much insurance would cost me roughly. I'm trying to pick best offer between insurance/cc and my budget ;)

I describe my situation
    full discounts for car ( I don't know it's relevant)
    over 30y.o
    I'm starting IBT + liberty assessement

3 options
    suzuki gsxr600cc
    yamaha R3 320cc
    ninja 300cc

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

mcorleone wrote: »
    Guys,
    Can somebody help me to simulate how much insurance would cost me roughly. I'm trying to pick best offer between insurance/cc and my budget ;)

I describe my situation
    over 30y.o

3 options
    suzuki gsxr600cc
    yamaha R3 320cc
    ninja 300cc

Thanks in advance
    Just ring the companies and get quotes for all three machines.
    Too many variables to calculate for anyone, where you live is it garaged etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭honda boi

Guys,

I describe my situation
    over 30y.o

3 options
    suzuki gsxr600cc
    yamaha R3 320cc
    ninja 300cc

Thanks in advance
    https://quotes.libertyinsurance.ie/IFI/publicviewquestions.do?productcode=QMB&corpunit=GEI
    Throw your details in here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As above, you will have to ring around yourself.

But your bike selection would be in the theft category and certainly for a new biker you will be penalised.

Id expect significantly high quotes tbh.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

GSX-R600 is too much bike for a beginner IMO.
    High insurance and it will stunt your learning curve. Not very forgiving if you make a mistake.

Bandit, SV650, Hornet or Fazer would be far better choices.
    These are more comfortable and still faster than the vast majority of cars. You'll also be able to sit your driving test on them unlike the Ninja or R3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mcorleone

Thanks guysfor help!
    Pugzilla no is not. Also I don't need forgiveness for mistakes. I want to learn on my mistakes. Also I'm not getting supersport to pretend "f** street Rossi" but for look, stability on wind and engine sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Thanks guysfor help!
    Pugzilla no is not. Also I don't need forgiveness for mistakes. I want to learn on my mistakes. Also I'm not getting supersport to pretend "f** street Rossi" but for look, stability on wind and engine sound.

The mistake on a gsxr could mean death or serious injury. It's akin to starting driving in a Ferrari

here we go I don't want any preachs. Was asking to find out what simulated insurance cost could be to have perspective view, budget and my capabilities.
    In terms what I ride and what take on me I'm deciding and will blame only myself for my mistakes. u think u surprise me saying results death or injuries??????
    Anyway I'm not taking on you. Thanks

At least wait until you finish IBT before buying your bike. You'll be able to make a more informed decision then.

Ninja 300 and R3 will have low insurance. Gsxr will be high for a learner, but your age may help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

CptMackey wrote: »
    The mistake on a gsxr could mean death or serious injury. It's akin to starting driving in a Ferrari

Make a mistake on any bike above walking pace and its could mean death or serious injury. The key to being safe is proper training, not just IBT.

Yes this is very very good advise.
    I have exactly planned to go to IBT within next 2 weeks, try myself on several different motorbikes and see which one is best to handle, including my back posture, tall height 6,1 and 95kg weight.
    I have good theory preparation for over last 3 months reading books and watching tutorial DVDs but I'm not crazy about big bike.
    On the other hand if insurance difference in cost won't be that huge then why not?

• Advertisement

Yes this is very very good advise.
    I have exactly planned to go to IBT within next 2 weeks, try myself on several different motorbikes and see which one is best to handle, including my back posture, tall height 6,1 and 95kg weight.
    I have good theory preparation for over last 3 months reading books and watching tutorial DVDs but I'm not crazy about big bike.

You'll need on the road training, the internet is great but not for learning to be safe on a bike
    On the other hand if insurance difference in cost won't be that huge then why not?
    Unfortunately I really doubt you can afford to insure a GSX-R, if they'll even quote.

Exactly Del2005!!!

Another "small bike" factors cause your injuries
    1. small tire connection with surface - unstable on bends especially with gravel, mud etc.
    2. unstable on strong wind = swerve might end up u hit passing over vehicle
    3. vibrations
    4. might be impossible to quickly run from troubles: imagine two trucks squeezing u between
    5. others won't hear your presence, especially in blind spots, they might pull back

Talking about fatal big bikes is bull****; lot's of been said on forums, websites etc. no one came up with best solution.
    If u sit on any of bikes u may end up ur career possibly quickly or enjoy your cruises for the rest of your life.
    I wish you that guys anyway

Del2005 wrote: »
    You'll need on the road training, the internet is great but not for learning to be safe on a bike

Unfortunately I really doubt you can afford to insure a GSX-R, if they'll even quote.

Totally agree, I have materials for training braking, emergency braking U turns without putting legs on road etc I will have fun on bike, trying feel it better and training basic skills on my own.

I said I'm not going to be "F*** street Rossi", there is plenty 1000cc bike owners everyday drive carefully and not even using 20% of possibilities of their bikes
    Q: is why are they riding 1000cc not ninja 250cc. A: for fun for comfort and for good look of bike period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

There are big bikes and big fast bikes, in fairness. I guess you're getting comments because you named two reasonably small 300 or so CC bikes, and then one of the fastest 600s. There's a middle ground like the fazer, hornet, er-6, etc. Really up to yourself and is your own decision. Personally I agree that there's such a thing as too small a bike and they can be dangerous due to their lack of power and some of the reasons you point out.

But there's no substitute for ringing insurance companies. It depends a lot on where you keep it (garage, street, yard), security measure (alarm, immob), area you're in, miles. Moreso than cars I'd say. There's really no predicting it aside from 'a lot' for a gsx-r and 'less' for the others. 'A lot' would be easily over a grand, I'd guess.

Car NCB won't count at all. Insurance is kinda backwards like that in Ireland.

Only consideration is whether you want to do your test on your own bike, R3 or the small ninja won't be suitable assuming you're going straight to A via direct access. You also can't do the A license IBT on them, has to be on an A bike.

Thank you for this comment.
    I'm really grateful because it sheds light on many interesting me areas.

Totally agree, I have materials for training braking, emergency braking U turns without putting legs on road etc I will have fun on bike, trying feel it better and training basic skills on my own.

I said I'm not going to be "F*** street Rossi", there is plenty 1000cc bike owners everyday drive carefully and not even using 20% of possibilities of their bikes
    Q: is why are they riding 1000cc not ninja 250cc. A: for fun for comfort and for good look of bike period.

Problem with training yourself is that you'll never know if you are doing it right, too many people have seriously injured themselves and worst due to lack of training, spend half or a full day with an instructor and it'll stand you. Look into doing advanced rider training and a test, then the Gixser might not be a pipe dream.

I'd say 99.999% of the riders on litrebikes will never be able to get anywhere near the bikes capabilities.
    Modern bikes are so capable that the rider is the thing that will fail first.
    When bikes have to come with all kind of rider aids to stop people from injuring or killing themselves because of a surfeit of power then you know you have reached the end of the line for usable power on the road.
    The old saying, Its more fun to ride a slow bike fast, then it is trying to ride a fast bike slow is very true.

You mention comfort and stability as reasons you want to get a sportbike.

These bikes are not that comfortable and the steep rake angle actually makes them more unstable than a naked standard bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Del2005 wrote: »
    Make a mistake on any bike above walking pace and its could mean death or serious injury. The key to being safe is proper training, not just IBT.

just tend to get into trouble quicker on quicker bikes :pac:

with great power comes great responsibility!

Wossack wrote: »
    just tend to get into trouble quicker on quicker bikes :pac:

with great power comes great responsibility!

That's why this is good rule for majority of society.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I'd say 99.999% of the riders on litrebikes will never be able to get anywhere near the bikes capabilities.
    Modern bikes are so capable that the rider is the thing that will fail first.
    When bikes have to come with all kind of rider aids to stop people from injuring or killing themselves because of a surfeit of power then you know you have reached the end of the line for usable power on the road.
    The old saying, Its more fun to ride a slow bike fast, then it is trying to ride a fast bike slow is very true.

Thanks
    I take your advise into consideration
    However old point is either true and bull****. Depends on circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

CJhaughey wrote: »

Not sure i agree with that. It's not speed that i enjoy, it's how you get there (aka acceleration). Do slow bikes even exist anymore? I mean my ninja 300 topped out at about 170 and getting there didn't take hours either :p I realise 170 for a bike IS slow but it's still well above the speed limit on the motorway and more than double the speed you'd legally do on fun twistys.

The skinny tyres and light weight was fun but just a different type of fun than my heavier fatter z1000sx gives me. I guess I'm over thinking this :p

BKtje wrote: »
    Not sure i agree with that. It's not speed that i enjoy, it's how you get there (aka acceleration). Do slow bikes even exist anymore? I mean my ninja 300 topped out at about 170 and getting there didn't take hours either :p I realise 170 for a bike IS slow but it's still well above the speed limit on the motorway and more than double the speed you'd legally do on fun twistys.

The skinny tyres and light weight was fun but just a different type of fun than my heavier fatter z1000sx gives me. I guess I'm over thinking this :p
    Its not all about acceleration for me, yes litrebikes accelerate mindbendingly fast but if it was only about acceleration why not just ride a V-max?
    Carving a corner precisely on a light bike like a 250cc two stroke is for me more fun than whacking the throttle open on an 1100 Gixer and feeling the back tyre spin up.
    Getting the maximum out of a small bike teaches you skills that make you a better rider IMO.
    Keeping a small bike in the meat of its power by using gearchanges instead of throttle openings is part of the fun.
    Thats why modern sportsbikes have all kinds of electronics to stop riders throwing themselves off mid corner by opening the throttle too much.
    I don't know maybe I am old school and many may not have experienced the way that strokers respond to rider input making them more challenging to ride?

I think once you get into corners that working a bike through the rev range would be more fun than having to consciously mind the throttle to avoid a highside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

To the OP, did you get quotes ?
    If so post up a few please :)

Advertisement